"D"- Man

Higher cost of parts???

"D"- Man

Decided I would have a go at looking what's being offered on the "-Bay" saw a knob listed as New Old Stock, and last one.  The price was only $313.50 + $3.75 shipping.  WHEEL HORSE LAWN MOWER 5280 KNOB LIFT CONTROL NOS OEM VINTAGE.  

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

AMC RULES

Like playing the :wh: lottery there...

:confusion-shrug: you never know what will stick to the wall. 

• Like 1

SylvanLakeWH

:ROTF:

• Like 1

bc.gold

If your not concerned with OEM packaging you have several options

knob.png

I use RTV's from Smooth-On, https://www.smooth-on.com/products/

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Racinbob

Or just get one from Glen Pettit for under $15 delivered. ;)

• Like 6
  • Excellent 1

ztnoo

@"D"- Man,

You should send the seller a PM with the link Garry provided us.

Might give the seller a little jolt of REALITY!

rotfl.gif.148306eb2d2e0923dc8fe3d020517f2e.gif

• Like 2

AMC RULES

:rolleyes: That won't work.  :hand:

Obviously, this seller is not living in reality.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

bc.gold

One large scrap aluminum piston would make you a couple of handles, metal casting is actually quite easy, fun and rewarding.

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

AMC RULES

...or just spend $20.  :confusion-shrug:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

bc.gold
49 minutes ago, AMC RULES said:

...or just spend $20.  :confusion-shrug:

Our sons, daughters and grandchildren have nothing to learn of it.

Edited by bcgold
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 1

AMC RULES

They're moving on to bigger and better things to do with their lives.  :handgestures-fingerscrossed: 

Image result for praying hands

• Like 1

The Tuul Crib

A toZ has them for 5-10 bucks

• Like 1

tunahead72

I believe there's a misprint in the eBay ad.  He sold one just a few days ago for $13.50, I've already contacted him.

• Like 1

ztnoo

I inquired of the seller myself to see if I could elicit a response. Here's his reply, and I'm a bit surprised he did reply. To each his own as to determining the efficacy of his explanation.

"ITS THAT WAY BECAUSE OF EBAYS BS THEY RELIST THINGS THAT YOU ARE SOLD OUT OF AND IF YOU CANCEL THEY GET THERE 20% THANKS CURT"

• Like 1

ebinmaine
14 minutes ago, ztnoo said:

I inquired of the seller myself to see if I could elicit a response. Here's his reply, and I'm a bit surprised he did reply. To each his own as to determining the efficacy of his explanation.

"ITS THAT WAY BECAUSE OF EBAYS BS THEY RELIST THINGS THAT YOU ARE SOLD OUT OF AND IF YOU CANCEL THEY GET THERE 20% THANKS CURT"

I don't list on eBay. I only buy there. But that being the case, you might not think that would be legal....

Seems almost like theft by deception to me.

• Like 1

ztnoo

Well, I too am an occasional buyer on eBay, but have never personally sold anything.

My wife buys and sells some, and I had her list a few things for me, and after it was all said and done, when the eBay fees and PayPal fees get deducted, it kinda make you wonder if it was really worth the hassle.

Basically its only real advantage IMO, is exposing what you have to a potentially much larger group of buyers, thus perhaps selling something a lot more quickly than trying to peddle it on CL, FB Marketplace, or locally by other means.

But, you pay dearly for that exposure.

If you were actually trying to make a living using eBay sales exclusively, you'd have to sell tons of stuff every week, or really big ticket items. Then you have the hassle of all the shipping on top of that.

It's a much less appealing place to deal with than it once was.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

tunahead72

Yeah, I don't really understand this.

Here's my question to the seller:

You sold one of these a few days ago for $13.50, is there a misprint in the price for this item?

And his response:

NO I DID NOT IT WAS AN ITEM THAT EBAY HAD RELISTED THAT WE WERE OUT OF ABOUT NOV FIRST WE HAD AN EXTRA 200 ITEMS LISTED CALLED EBAY ABOUT IT . AND THEY SAID I WOULD JUST HAVE TO GO THRU AND CANCEL ALL AND START OVER WE WENT THRU AND GOT RID OF SOME BUT MISSED THIS ONE THANKS CURT

I've seen other items on eBay that were priced completely out of any sane person's range (you know, like $300 plus for a knob you can get all day for $10-$20).  Maybe this is a similar situation. :dunno:

• Like 2

GlenPettit

Funny things happen on eBay.  I sell most of my items on eBay. (Over 1,000 in last 10 years, much prefer via Red Square members, = much more professional & understanding)

Sales on Just eBay — lots of questions, mostly because they did not read the entire description, re: size, colour, quantity, model. Then most expect me to send it first because of a hurry —- I’ve learned from that.

eBay is tough & very $$$ especially on sellers , buyers have lot of safety protections.  As a seller it is $$$ with eBay fees, PayPal fees then shipping, I understand why many sellers don’t want to ship overseas.

Those videos from Alumilite are excellent, that’s exactly how I make my stuff they are only 80 minutes away, exact same products I use (I also use pressure pots + a vacuum chamber).

Glen

Edited by GlenPettit
  • Like 7

jeepdan
22 hours ago, tunahead72 said:

Yeah, I don't really understand this.

Here's my question to the seller:

You sold one of these a few days ago for $13.50, is there a misprint in the price for this item?

And his response:

NO I DID NOT IT WAS AN ITEM THAT EBAY HAD RELISTED THAT WE WERE OUT OF ABOUT NOV FIRST WE HAD AN EXTRA 200 ITEMS LISTED CALLED EBAY ABOUT IT . AND THEY SAID I WOULD JUST HAVE TO GO THRU AND CANCEL ALL AND START OVER WE WENT THRU AND GOT RID OF SOME BUT MISSED THIS ONE THANKS CURT

I've seen other items on eBay that were priced completely out of any sane person's range (you know, like $300 plus for a knob you can get all day for $10-$20).  Maybe this is a similar situation. :dunno:

I actually bought the one for $13.50, in which the seller canceled the sale, and refunded my money by the next morning.

He gave me the same reason almost word for word that they had been out of the knobs for a while, but ebay relisted them anyhow.

Then, I see the same auction come up again, the same day with a ridiculous price. I assumed that the seller had done that on purpose to keep people from bidding on it.

Edited by jeepdan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

tunahead72

Well now at least it makes some sense, thanks for filling us in.

It does beg the question of why eBay would automatically relist items that sellers have indicated are no longer available, but that's a question for greater minds than mine.

• Like 1

bc.gold
3 hours ago, tunahead72 said:

Well now at least it makes some sense, thanks for filling us in.

It does beg the question of why eBay would automatically relist items that sellers have indicated are no longer available, but that's a question for greater minds than mine.

On 12/31/2018 at 1:02 PM, GlenPettit said:

Funny things happen on eBay.  I sell most of my items on eBay. (Over 1,000 in last 10 years, much prefer via Red Square members, = much more professional & understanding)

Sales on Just eBay — lots of questions, mostly because they did not read the entire description, re: size, colour, quantity, model. Then most expect me to send it first because of a hurry —- I’ve learned from that.

eBay is tough & very $$$ especially on sellers , buyers have lot of safety protections.  As a seller it is $$$ with eBay fees, PayPal fees then shipping, I understand why many sellers don’t want to ship overseas.

Those videos from Alumilite are excellent, that’s exactly how I make my stuff they are only 80 minutes away, exact same products I use (I also use pressure pots + a vacuum chamber).

Glen

Funny things happen on eBay

My claim to fame, hidden user Id's, my explanation would lead to circumlocution.

feedback.png

circumlocution-n.jpg

Edited by bcgold
  • Like 1

The Tuul Crib

I have found that a lot of these ads on eBay or miss leading. Take for instance a gasket set for a k321 . Has  for images and are you get are the gaskets and not the other three images with it .  They basically told me to buy from somebody else if I didn't like it . :ph34r: You just don't do business that way. 

GlenPettit

"Buyer beware".   But actually eBay will get in there and help you 'fight," especially if you have a good near-100% record with them, if you are clear, logical, and brief, they will do all the protections they promised in your agreement, first is contact the seller with why you're unhappy, and what they may have misrepresented and why.  In my personal experience this has always been the case, but there are steps and time limits you must stay within.  Always look at  a sellers satisfaction % (and read what others have said in the past, that's why eBay always post these numbers, but a seller can always come up with a new name easily, research, it is your money,   There have been some interesting scams in the past.   No use getting mad at eBay or PayPal, it may harm you even more in the long run, they both do make errors, but not that many.

Glen.

Edited by GlenPettit
  • Like 1

bc.gold

My first sale on eBay was in June of 1998, I can honestly say that things were a lot better before the initial public offering ( IPO) where both sellers and buyers policed themselves via the feedback system.

The reason behind buyer protection after ebay and paypal merged the number of credit charge backs got to the point where the processors threatened to withdraw services if the problem could no be brought under control. Bingo, withdrawing the sellers ability to leave feedback and a new formula for buyers protection, saved the day for the giant by transferring the risk to the seller.

Just remember who holds the funds while your negotiating a bad transaction with a seller.

Edited by bcgold