plumb-r

Rubber for snow blade

plumb-r

My neighbor used to work at a local "Scotts" mulch plant. He made a phone call and scored a piece of conveyor belt for me. I am going to sandwich the rubber between the plow blade and the replaceable metal strip on the blade. Anyone know how much rubber I can leave below the plow so it doesn't fold over when using? The rubber is about 3/8" thick.

shallowwatersailor

I used a piece of 1/2" rubber horse mat one time. I left about 1/2" exposed. I would try a bit less for the 3/8" material. By the way it doesn't do much in an ice storm.

• Like 1

peter lena

picked up one of these at my local r/v shop ,https://www.denniskirk.com/moose/umhv-plastic-universal-50-in-wear-bar-w-o-pre-cut-mounting-holes-for-snow-plow-4501-0463.p518713.prd/518713.sku?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cse&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI9L2D1dHC3wIVFlmGCh0fSA-AEAQYAiABEgLj9PD_BwE&ad=228600803220 . having a combo plowing area , gravel / pavement lets me experiment with it . cost me 20 $ , typically used on a quad , pete

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

I'd be interested in hearing more reports on the performance of the rubber edges on various surfaces.

I have a 3/8 X 3 X 50" piece of rubber and some heavy belting that I could make edges from, but have never put either on the plow.

I plow asphalt, concrete, asphalt millings, grass,  and stone roads.

For the installation, it seems the rubber or belting must be clamped between the dozer blade and the steel wear bar, and the bottom of these two clamping edges must be even to properly support the softer rubber or belting.   This would probably require redrilling of the holes in the steel wear bar to raise it up enough to align the bottom edge with the bottom edge of the dozer edge.

GlenPettit

I'm very impress with this one - off eBay (about $25, + $15 shipping, got 2 shipped for that same price).   No problems anywhere, but gravel builds up quick in a pile on the edges, then freezes, that's the only problem.

I have mostly black asphalt & cement and a little sun makes it easy to totally remove the packed ice. Easy to drill the rubber, l and the square carriage bolt head goes into a round hole in rubber easily.  Save the old metal strip when installing the new rubber, then use it like the washers.  Spray Silicon on the metal to shed the snow better. The wear bar does not need to level with the bottom of the new rubber edge, I think the rubber wears a lot less than the original metal wear blade does.

IMG_0213 1_zpshppnicok copy.jpg

Edited by GlenPettit
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 1