bc.gold

Security System and Cameras

bc.gold

A week ago while we were sound asleep we had intruders enter our home at 4:20 am, fortunately something had woken Pat scaring them off.

From what I'm getting most of these security cameras are a waste of money, grainy images.

Would like to hear from some of you that are using the 4K systems with images stored locally or on the cloud.

All I need now is a face that matches up with these boots, Pat has identified the top image as Nikie

niki.jpg

imageproxy.php?img=&key=233175c88be08e9bnik2.jpg

Edited by bcgold
  • Sad 5

ClassicTractorProfessor

Don't have any experience with any security systems, however some years back Grandpa was having trouble with things growing legs and walking away out at the farm. He came up with a good idea, he bought a few of those motion activated game cameras and placed them in several spots on the property (a couple at the gates, one at each entrance to the barn and the shop). They capture a pretty clear picture of anything that comes in front of them and save it to an internal memory card for later viewing on your computer or smartphone. We placed the ones at the gates to get a clear shot of any vehicle that passes through them, the license plate of said vehicle, and anyone who gets out to open or close the gate. We have since caught two or three of the "prominent" citizens of the area being in there without our permission, you should see the looks on their faces when we confront them at the feed store or other places about it...they always want to deny it but the look on their face when we show them a printed picture of themselves or their vehicle is priceless. This has worked so well I'm strongly considering setting up a couple at the shop, never have had any trouble with things over there but you just never know

• Like 3
  • Excellent 2
  • Thanks 1

cschannuth

The Ring system works really well but they are pricey. The video quality is excellent. It allows for two way talking has a loud siren but your internet speed will cause a bit of a delay if it’s not fast. I have a couple flood light cams and a doorbell cam.  

Sometimes they run specials where they bundle components that will save a few bucks. 

• Thanks 1

WVHillbilly520H
1 minute ago, 953 nut said:

Have you looked at trail camera?

https://www.trailcampro.com/pages/how-to-catch-a-thief

:text-yeahthat:... Seems with all the trail cameras deployed out in the wilderness Bigfoot should be captured on "film" as well, they do take great stills and video as well. See... 

IMAG1585.jpg

IMAG1545.jpg

IMAG1544.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

bc.gold
1 hour ago, WHX21 said:

Sorry BC, can't help you here,  my security system consists of a .44 Blackhawk with a backup of a .357 Ruger and a .45 Colt 1911 and a 9mm Bersa.

Oh and a concealed carry permit in my back pocket with a 2nd amendment clause...just in case.....

Those are great deterrents if your home to pull the trigger, who minds your property while your on vacation or on a road trip picking up your latest treasure.

bc.gold

Thank you all for your suggestions however I'm interested in a 4K security system. I've been researching the Lorex system with four channels which is a cabled system with POE ( power over ethernet ) to supply power to the cameras.

With a POE switch this system can be upgraded to support more cameras, the only thing holding me back from making the purchase, I have yet to find out of the cameras are proprietary to the Lorex NVR. I would much prefer a system where I can mix brands of cameras.

llor.png

Al C.

We use a five camera Arlo system when we are away from home.  I link it to and an alarm in the house with a Wi-Fi connected switch.  When Arlo detects motion it records video (great quality with infrared night vision) and sends a text alert and email to our mobile devices.  I can look at the pictures immediately and trigger the alarm remotely if I need to scare away an intruder.  I can also send pics directly to our local police Dept.  Works well for us.  

• Thanks 1

ohiofarmer

I think it all depends on whether or not you are subscribing to an always on cable system with a wireless router.  I am working at a house that has such a system and all you can see is the cameras that are about the size of a book of matches. Just outstanding picture and video quality.  They run on very long life batteries and send pictures or video directly to his cell phone and can be viewed at a later time.

I would probably spring for such a system, but we are in a cable TV desert.  Thanks for the link to the trail cams, WVHillbilly. Very useful. The trouble is, law enforcement has little interest in enforcing any kind of punishment against trespassers or thieves--just not enough jail space is their excuse. Maybe a picture in the local paper of trail cam footage could be a help. Maybe Facebook on the local crime watch website

• Excellent 1

formariz

@HorseFixerOne of our members here is into electronics and has experience in surveillance cameras . He has a thread here somewhere regarding some people he caught on video breaking or entering into his place. Perhaps you should PM him.

• Thanks 1

Jerry77

I have had a hardwired security system in my home for 44 years..never have had it go off, but you never know...sleep like a rock and the incredibly loud siren would wake me in time to grab one of various shooter-thingys around the house..gave my wife a very secure feeling since I worked a lot of nights...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

rjg854

I have a 4 channel Amcrest system. It records any motion to a dvr for later veiwing, and will send alerts to a cell phone if set up that way.  Very happy with the results and pictures.  It's worked well for a few of the situations that have occurred .  Palmvid.com is another place to browse, I also had one of their systems at one time. 

• Thanks 1

bc.gold
9 hours ago, ohiofarmer said:

I think it all depends on whether or not you are subscribing to an always on cable system with a wireless router.  I am working at a house that has such a system and all you can see is the cameras that are about the size of a book of matches. Just outstanding picture and video quality.  They run on very long life batteries and send pictures or video directly to his cell phone and can be viewed at a later time.

I would probably spring for such a system, but we are in a cable TV desert.  Thanks for the link to the trail cams, WVHillbilly. Very useful. The trouble is, law enforcement has little interest in enforcing any kind of punishment against trespassers or thieves--just not enough jail space is their excuse. Maybe a picture in the local paper of trail cam footage could be a help. Maybe Facebook on the local crime watch website

Posting images and video online for my neighbors is what I have in mind.

Edited by bcgold

bc.gold

Here's some footage from Lorex night vision with low light levels.

Edited by bcgold

Sarge

I have yet to see any system that can beat my german shepherd - he's the alarm, and if they do try to come too far into his territory they are lunch, at which time they get to meet a half-naked Marine with a KA-BAR and a handgun. So far, no one has been stupid enough to come here and try to take something with the exception of outside scrap metals - for that I wouldn't mind a camera.

Sarge

• Excellent 1

Cetan08

I have a nite owl system. The cameras are 1080p with nite vision. I have 4 cameras but the DVR is set up for 8. Picture quality is excellent and if you have high speed internet you can view your home over your phone or tablet from anywhere at no cost. My system cost around 350.00. It is hard wired and I installed it myself in just a couple of hours. It will record and store for a couple of months and then record over the oldest. I have a 1 teribite HDD but you can get a 2 ter. You can also back up to a flash drive or external hard drive. I was able to prosecute a couple of idiots with the footage from my system. It also gives you alerts on your phone when someone or thing enters your set zones. And I repeat, not paying for a service.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1