ebinmaine

Pull cord rope. What type?

ebinmaine

This is actually on a later model Snow King Tecumseh. Pull start only. No electric start so it gets used every time we use the machine.

What type of  rope do you use?

oldredrider

#4 rope. Tractor Supply has it in rolls. Cheaper that way.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine
11 minutes ago, oldredrider said:

#4 rope. Tractor Supply has it in rolls. Cheaper that way.

Awesome!

Thank you!

• Like 1

The Tuul Crib

I'd would think a cotton rope to work best

ebinmaine

I've only just started messing around and actually trying to repair my own stuff about 2 or 3 years ago. It'll sound silly to a lot of you but it never even occurred to me until the other day that there was such a thing as specific rope for a Small Engine pull cord

Edited by ebinmaine

pfrederi

My father used old clothes line...of course that was before recoil starters.  You hooked the knot in the slot  and wrapped the rope around the capstan and pulled.

• Like 2

ebinmaine

I called my favorite local hardware store

Guy told me he has two different sizes of rope that are specifically pull cord rated.

I bought the one that fits quite snug in the whole of the handle... $0.19 a foot. Huge investment.

I needed six feet.

For those of you that can't multiply that was well over a dollar.

I guess I can live with that.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 5
  • Heart 2

Howie

I keep the 4 1/2 here for engines of this size. The 4 I think is what I use on trimmers and such here. the plain

old cotton rope wears out too quickly.

• Like 1

WHX??

I have no clue ...let's ask @pullstart :lol:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Mows4three
10 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

It'll sound silly to a lot of you but it never even occurred to me until the other day that there was such a thing as specific rope for a Small Engine pull cord

I've had a large hank of braided nylon rope that I bought 30 years ago for chainsaw repairs.   Tell you the truth, I never gave it much thought but it's probably on the small size from what I remember about the diameter of the rope on our old Jacobson reel mower.   I have used it to repair a vintage Lawn Boy mower from the 1960s and it worked OK for that.  

Dang it Eric.  Where do you come up with these odd ball questions?    Wait a minute.   Never mind.....    LOL!!! 

Cheers!

Dave

• Haha 2

bc.gold
11 hours ago, pfrederi said:

My father used old clothes line...of course that was before recoil starters.  You hooked the knot in the slot  and wrapped the rope around the capstan and pulled.

Recoil starters have been around for ever, my father worked in the woods and had a two man Titan twin cylinder saw with a recoil then there's the little Titan in the very bottom image with the moniker among collectors ---- the ball breaker.

The recoil rope is a special braid made from a nylon composite once you cut it melt the ends to keep it from unraveling, I generally give the knot a bit of heat to remove memory.

Both of the Titans below were built long before the Tilotson carburetor, to make and under cut or to fell a tree a cam lock had to be loosened to reposition the bar as the engines would only run in an upright position.

The largest tree my father ever fell was 18 feet across at the butt.

braid.png

t1.jpg

t2.jpg

t3.jpg

Edited by bcgold
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine

That was when saws were in need of two men and an ox to operate...

Love seeing them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Pullstart
14 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

I called my favorite local hardware store

Guy told me he has two different sizes of rope that are specifically pull cord rated.

I bought the one that fits quite snug in the whole of the handle... $0.19 a foot. Huge investment.

I needed six feet.

For those of you that can't multiply that was well over a dollar.

I guess I can live with that.

5 hours ago, WHX21 said:

I have no clue ...let's ask @pullstart :lol:

Just think, I could maintain a hefty fleet of :wh: recoil rigs for the price of a genny belt!  So long as my shoulder don’t wear out :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

bc.gold
8 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

That was when saws were in need of two men and an ox to operate...

Love seeing them.

A few years after my fathers passing all the old chainsaws and miscellaneous parts were lost in a barn fire along with a beautiful collection of split bamboo fishing rods.

Life's strange twists, after my wife passed away from leukemia tens years later Pat came into my life and here late husband had also worked in the woods and she had two ball breaker Titans that she was complaining about no one would give her $50.00 for them in any of her yard sales and this was the day I introduced her to eBay.

One saw wen to a buyer in Germany with the other to going to an American buyer both saws brought in hefty bids, she was both pleased with the sale and was now hooked on eBay. From our scrap business we also picked up derelict vehicles some of which were older having small parts of value  that we offered up on auction.

One in particular was an old bullet nose Studebaker it was striped to the bone, had tress growing up through the engine compartment anyhow we winched it out of the brush the bullet nose was in perfect condition so I removed this as a possible auction item. Then Pat came along after and removed the body clips that the bolts screwed into that held the nose in place. I laughed about this at the time, she got more $$$ for those clips then I got for the chrome bullet nose.

A few years later while visiting Pete Ryan the chainsaw carver in Hope BC noticed he had a few old saws, asked him if they were for sale well the first couple of saws turned out to be a shed full of them outback. I purchased all of them and hauled two truck loads of them home, we sold saws for the next two years.

We did not have a digital camera so  all the pictures of the saws used on auction were taken with a 35mm camera then scanned into digital, after the saws were all sold we offered the package of pictures. These also sold.

Chain saw carvers at play, Hope BC, enjoy the video.

Edited by bcgold
  • Thanks 2