Firebug

Fluid filling tires

Firebug

I have a d 200 that is my plow and tiller tractor. When I bought it there where turf tires on it and one was filled with calcium chloride. I little rust later that was removed. I put ag tires on it and had the left (drive) tire filled with washer fluid. Roughly 6.5 gallons, 47 pounds. Would there be any benefit to filling the right one? I’m thinking of filling both fronts just for the weight when the tiller is on. Plus a weight bar. 

On a similar note. I picked up a c 160 8 speed with a brinley plow. It is going to be dedicated just for that for plow days and gardening duties. I’ve read that guys are loading them up with weight. Is there an advantage to filling both rear tires and the fronts for that application. 

I’m leaning toward sticking with the washer fluid because it’s fairly inexpensive, about $20 to fill a 15 inch d series rim, and it’s non corrosive. 

Mare there any other tricks guys have done to add weight? Any thoughts on filling one or both rear tires? Any problems with filling the fronts? Thanks guys

• Excellent 1

953 nut

The more weight you can put in or on the wheels and tires the more stable it will be. I don't know if filling only one rear tire will harm anything, but I would fill both rears.

SIZE                 GALLONS Per Tire                WEIGHT in POUNDS

• 16x6.50-8               2.0                            21.4
  • 18x7.00-8               3.0                            32.1 
  • 18x8.50-8               3.4                            36.4 
  • 18x9.50-8               4.0                            42.8
  • 23x8.50-12             5.5                            58.9
  • 23x10.50-12           6.8                            72.8
  • 6-12                        3.6                            38.5
  • Excellent 1

Firebug

So for any application it would be recommended to fill both rears

cschannuth
52 minutes ago, Firebug said:

I would say yes. I run rear fluid in all my tractors. It really plants them firmly to the ground. 

ebinmaine
6 hours ago, Firebug said:

Absolutely.

Most of these tractors are not limited slip.

Filling only one tire would benefit that tire but leave the other one with less traction in high torque situations... Thus will spin sooner.

KC9KAS

I would fill both rear tires. Windshield washer fluid is 8.34-8.5 pounds per gallon.

Liquid Ballast Comparison Table

Type Cost Freeze Resist Weight vs. Water Safe? Availability
Water free none +0% very safe wide
Calcium Chloride low/high* -50F +40% corrosive wide
Ethylene Glycol Antifreeze medium -40F +0% toxic wide
Propylene Glycol Antifreeze high -40F +0% safe wide
Windshield Washer Fluid low -20F +0% toxic wide
Methanol medium -15F +0% very flammable wide
Beet Juice very high -35F +30% very safe dealer network
Polyurethane Foam/Flat Fill very high   +20-50% very safe dealer network

*using CaCl2 is low cost if containment tubes are already available and installed, otherwise this is a high cost option

Water
Water has been used as ballast inside the rear tires of tractors operated in warmer climates for years. In geographical locations where freezing occurs, an additive is necessary to prevent the water from becoming an ice block inside the tire. Ballast that does freeze inside the tractor will make those tires unstable and general operation of the tractor unsafe. Water is the least expensive form of liquid ballasting and weighs 8.3lbs per gallon.

• Advantages

• readily available
  • no cost
  • safe to use – non-toxic, non-flammable
  • easy to install into tires
  • Disadvantages

• not suitable for cold climates

Calcium Chloride
Calcium chloride, CaCl2, in powdered form can be mixed with water to produce a liquid that will resist freezing up to -50F, depending on the strength of the concentration. Calcium chloride weighs about 11.5lbs/gallon mixed, so more ballast weight is achieved in the same volume, allowing a heavier ballast. This type of liquid ballast is a highly corrosive mixture so care must be taken in handling this product. CaCl2 should be installed into tubes regardless of whether or not the tire on the tractor is tubeless. Without being contained in a tube the mixture will rust the rim flange area right out.

• Advantages

• easily obtained in large quantities
  • high weight/volume ratio (almost 40% more than water alone)
  • very high freeze resistance
  • Disadvantages

• care taken when used – corrosive mixture
  • must be installed into tubes – extra cost
  • if installed without tubes corrosion/rust of the rim will occur
  • puncturing a tire filled with CaCl2 will spray rust-causing mixture everywhere, damaging sheet metal and vegetation
A typical 50lb bag of calcium chloride with inset image showing powder consistency.

A typical 50lb bag of calcium chloride with inset image showing powder consistency.

Ethylene Glycol Antifreeze
Antifreeze, mixed 50/50 with water, and installed into your Kubota’s rear tires, will provide the same amount of weight per gallon as water and will resist freezing to approx -40F. Ethylene glycol antifreeze is classified by Canada’s Environmental Protection Agency as hazardous waste after it reaches the end of its useful life. Care must be taken when disposing of this type of ballast – and in the case of a tractor tire, there will be a lot of mix to deal with.

• Advantages

• high freeze resistance
  • safe to mix – non-flammable but is toxic if ingested
  • Disadvantages

• hazardous to the environment, animals and people – care must be taken regarding its disposal
  • could get costly if your only source is 1 gallon jugs at a Walmart

Propylene Glycol Antifreeze
Propylene glycol is known as a non-toxic or people/animal friendly antifreeze. Besides its antifreeze properties, it is actually used in many cosmetics, pharmaceuticals, shampoos and as a food additive. Dow, who manufacturers 35% of the world’s supply of of propylene glycol, reports that in the United States, 22% of production is used for antifreeze or de-icing. When installed into your tires as a ballast in a 50/50 mix, expect similar properties to ethylene glycol, high freeze resistance with ballast weight similar to that of water alone. AMSOIL makes this type antifreeze available by the gallon or 55 gallon drum.

• Advantages

• high freeze resistance
  • safe to humans, animals and vegetation, non-flammable, non-toxic and biodegradable
  • Disadvantages

• more costly than plain old toxic ethylene glycol – sources we used, quoted prices of 33%-120% more per gallon

Windshield Washer Fluid
Washer fluid, installed right from the jug is freeze protected to about -20F and provides about the same ballast weight properties as water does. Washer fluid has some of the same chemicals in it that antifreeze does, but at milder concentrations. Disposing of gallons and gallons of washer fluid, as in the case of tire ballast, would require care.

• Advantages

• low cost
  • adequate freeze resistance
  • no mixing required – use as is, non-flammable but is toxic
  • Disadvantages

• hazardous to the environment, animals and people – care must be taken regarding its disposal

Methanol
Methanol is highly flammable and if you decide to use this product it must be mixed with water to make it so you do not blow yourself up while mixing it, installing it, or driving your tractor with it in there. Depending on strength of mixture, methanol and water is good to around -15F temperatures. We are not recommending the use of methanol and water because of the danger – but it is an option available for tire ballasting.

• Advantages

• adequate freeze resistance
  • Disadvantages

• extremely flammable
  • mixing required with water

Beet Juice
Beet juice, a liquid byproduct made from de-sugared sugar beets. This food grade product is available in the US under the trade and brand name, RimGuard. This liquid weighs about 30% more than straight water and resists freezing to about -35F. Best of all, it will not solidify until the temp drops to -50F. Natural, non-corrosive, safe to the environment and humans. If beet juice is available in your location, we believe this your best bet – safe to use and provides extra ballast weight.

• Advantages

• high weight/volume ratio (about 30% more than water alone)
  • very high freeze resistance
  • anti-rust properties
  • a natural product – environmentally friendly and safe
  • Disadvantages

• may not be available in all locations

Polyurethane Foam/Flat Fill
This ballast method is essentially a run-flat polyurethane fill that is injected into the tire through the valve stem. Two liquid components are pumped into the tire and they react with one another so that 24-36 hours later, you are left with a solid rubber core – the air inside the tire is completely displaced. The term “foam” is a bit misleading – the core is actually very much a black solid. It is sometimes called foam because air bubbles are injected into the mix to control the density of the end product.

This ballast method obviously adds serious weight gains to each tire and also has the nice benefit of eliminating flat tires and associated repair costs. Because the tire is run-flat there is no risk of corrosive/toxic ballast spraying all over your tractor and scorching vegetation if you do spring a leak. You will have to find a dealer near you that performs this service (Brannon Tire in Stockton, California for example).

• Advantages

• high weight/volume ratio (about 20-50% more than water depending on type of fill)
  • cannot freeze
  • tire is run-flat
  • simple – have it done once, ballasted forever
  • Disadvantages

• may not be available in all locations
  • high cost – prices range around $0.95-1.25 lbs injected, or $300+ per tire
  • tire must be cut off rim after tread wears out – best for new or nearly new tires
  • if performed on steering tires, heavy duty weight gains will put more stress on steering components
  • no air in tires to absorb humps and bumps so you will get a very rough ride – could be jarring for long distance travel
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Firebug

Great chart filled with a lot of info. I appreciate the help. Looking at staying with the washer fluid. It’s readily available at the tire shop I frequent and cheap. If I fill the front tires how will that effect the steering?

• Thanks 1

rdeanrj58

This is very interesting.   I'm sure it's been discussed here before but can we talk about how this is done ?       Is it better to use tubes ?       How much liquid is put in tire ?   And how much air pressure is put in afterwards?     Thanks 

Firebug

My turf tires were tuned and had the calcium chloride in them. My ags are not tubed and have washer fluid. I didn’t get to see the whole process but from what I did see the guy broke the tire bead and just started dumping fluid in.at the top. Got about 6 gallons in then he aired it up to reseat the bead and left it at 15 psi

Razorback
11 hours ago, rdeanrj58 said:

This is very interesting.   I'm sure it's been discussed here before but can we talk about how this is done ?       Is it better to use tubes ?       How much liquid is put in tire ?   And how much air pressure is put in afterwards?     Thanks 

There is an adapter that is made for filling the tires. Do a web search for Slime 20073.

Slime ballast adapter

I recycled some antifreeze in the tires I loaded. Works good.

There are videos on YouTube that show the process.

Here is one:

Filling a tire with fluid

Edited by Razorback

WHX??

Yes :text-thankyouyellow: KC9 ... I've  seen that posted before need to save it for future.

• Like 1

rdeanrj58

Ok thanks guys.   I'll have to give it a try 

KC9KAS
  • That didn't turn out like I wanted it to!
  • I bought one of these adapters I think at NAPA or some other auto parts store.

Installing Liquid Ballast in Tires

Liquid Ballast Installation

Filling your tractor tires with water can be easy with GEMPLER'S liquid ballast adaptors. Use the guide below to learn how to use each type of tool and click here to view GEMPLER'S supply of liquid ballast products.

Installing Liquid Ballast in Tires
  • Air/Liquid Adapter
  • Quick Fill Attachment
  • Core Injection Tool
  • Differences
Using the Air Liquid Adapter Kit
Air/Liquid Adapter Kit

The Air/Liquid Adapter Kit permits fast filling of tires with fluid for ballast. Button valve on side releases air displaced by fluid. Connects 3/4" standard garden hose to air/liquid tractor stem "TR 218A/220A" and comes with 2 extra bushings to accomodate "TR 13" and "TR 15" stems.

Parts included in the kit.

Edited by KC9KAS

Herder

Tractor Supply sells RV antifreeze its an alcohol base, non toxic and is good to -50 degrees and runs about $3.00 per gallon. I cut it by 50% with water. Thats all i use.  I would suggest using tubes.  Tractors Supply caries them too.  If possible try to get the Martin brand tubes the Traveller brand tubes are heavy duty and hard to work with when using an air to water valve.  Ya sorry i should have mentioned a transfer pump is necessary.  Be crafty you can rig-up some type of pump to to load your tires with. 

ebinmaine

I think is was @pullstart ??

Uses an air tank...

• Like 1

briankd

i filled both front and rears on my 857 windshield washer fluid best thing i ever did. bought this filler thing at walmart to fillem with think it was like 10 bucks . got tires filled and makes a difference in traction

WVHillbilly520H

I have used a 2-3gal weed/garden sprayer with the end nozzle removed and then using a clear piece of 5/16"-3/8" tubing clamped to the coreless valve stem and nozzle pumped 5 gal into (each of the the first set of AGs I put on the Anniversary 520H) of course you will have to periodically stop and loosen the clamp to bleed the air out from pumping the RV ANTIFREEZE (what I used) or washer fluid into the tubed or tubeless tire...BTW after the fluid of choice is in you tires the rubber is actually an insulator so the freeze point actually increases past what the jug states,... but the last 2 sets I just had the tire shop add fluid (Methanol) when they installed the new ones.

Edited by WVHillbilly520H
  • Like 1

WHX??

Now ain't that true Hillbilly fashion...grab the old weed sprayer when your done killing yer neighbors lawn and load yer tires! Just  :ychain:Jeffery

You mentioned a tire shop added methanol ..isn't that kinda bizarre for a pro tire or ag shop? I woulda thunk they would have used Rimguard as most pro shops do today? Gonna call a few local shops just for $h!ts &  grins to see what they use and $$. Usually they charge by the lb that much I do know.

The brunt of this discussion firebug  is that ALL tractor men will agree upon is loading your tires is the best thing you can do for any size machine. I agree for one reason. It puts the weight on the ground, same with wheel weights, and not on the tractor's under designed transmissions  or powertrains. Not that we have to worry about it with our horses. :)

It does rob some power to turn that weight but again most would agree the sacrifice is worth the cause.

• Like 1

ebinmaine
17 minutes ago, WHX21 said:

Rimguard

Rimguard Corporation themselves would be very happy to answer the phone and tell you which dealers are in your area.

They were very helpful to me in locating somebody.

19 minutes ago, WHX21 said:

does rob some power to turn that weight but again most would agree the sacrifice is worth the cause.

I'm not by any means a physicist and I couldn't elaborate on the difference between liquid being in a tire and the solid weight being on the tractor or bolted to the wheels...

There are those who say that liquid filling the tires adds a nearly negligible strain because you're constantly moving the fluid through the tire instead of carrying it or pushing it out of the way.

I can tell you quite well for sure that loaded front tires are much much harder to steer.

I most certainly agree that all rear tires at the very least should be filled.

All four of mine are filled and I wouldn't have it any other way.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

WHX??
24 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:
46 minutes ago, WHX21 said:

I'm not by any means a physicist and

Neither am I EB but logic dictates it's gonna take some extra HP to turn them tires when yer buried up to the axles?

Pullstart
13 hours ago, rdeanrj58 said:

2 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

I think is was @pullstart ??

Uses an air tank...

Yep, I’ve got a 5 or 6 gallon portable air tank, I pull the air chuck/gauge nipple from the tank, fill it up with used antifreeze with some help  of a funnel, put it back together and charge it with 30 or 40 psi of air, flip it over and fill the tubes with the air chuck.  Keeping the schrader valve at the top of the wheel and slightly tipped back helps, and I periodically bleed out residual pressure in the tube.  I run virtually no air pressure in the tires once full of liquid and have so much more traction without negative effects on the lawn.  

• Excellent 2

ebinmaine
16 minutes ago, WHX21 said:

Neither am I EB but logic dictates it's gonna take some extra HP to turn them tires when yer buried up to the axles?

Yes!

Quite true.

WHX??

:text-yeahthat:And ther you have it .... another  Billy putting used crap in his tires! :ychain:

Actually I have seen guys putting used antifreeze in tires  but not for me ... I like virgin stuff! :)

Never know what stuff has been mixed with what. Course if your a billy! :lol:

• Thanks 1

Pullstart
2 minutes ago, WHX21 said:

:text-yeahthat:And ther you have it .... another  Billy putting used crap in his tires! :ychain:

Actually I have seen guys putting used antifreeze in tires  but not for me ... I like virgin stuff! :)

It was free on CL, how could I go wrong?  :ROTF:

Edited by pullstart
Fat fingered it, or auto correct..
  • Haha 2

WVHillbilly520H
4 minutes ago, WHX21 said:

I prefer the RV antifreeze if I'm doing it myself, and as far as the professional tire shops yes methanol even the dealer

I bought the eMax from loaded the rears with methanol, seat the bead then break down just a small area insert hose and pumped my tires full then aired back up to re-seat that bead on the 23x10.50s, I suppose they used that schrader valve tool on the eMax as I wasn't there when fluid was added.