craig26

522XI Hydraulic Lift Issue - Snowblower

craig26

Hi Everyone and Merry Xmas to All!

Looking for some assistance please.  My 522XI tractor with a 44" 2 stage snow thrower works great, only issue is that when I first start up the snow thrower lifts great.  After a short time, I do not have the same lift height.  I bought a shed with the hopes of storing but the lift issues are putting a damper on the plans.

I am not the most experienced on the tractor, to the point that I am unsure how to check the hydraulic fluid or what type/brand to use.  Any help trouble shooting guidance/manuals someone can lend would be very helpful and appreciated.   

Sincerely,

Craig

Edited by craig26
correction on snowblower size

gwest_ca

Welcome to the forum.

Have the model and serial number of the tractor? Suspect they are not all the same in all respects so this info will ensure you get the correct manuals.

Tractor service manual may help

Garry

WVHillbilly520H

Yes download the above manuals, but under the seat is the transaxle dipstick check on the level and cold before startup, use 10w30 motor oil, there is also a filter back there for the hydrostatic transaxle and hydraulic lift that should be changed every 100-200 hours of operation, and with your particular xi series tractor the 22 hp has hydrostatic steering as well with a filter behind the hoodstand screens than needs periodic removal and cleaning, 1 or all 3 of these could be your culprit for your "hot" low pressure hydro issues, Jeff.

• Like 3

shallowwatersailor

You might consider changing to a synthetic 10W-30 for the transmission/transaxle. I used Mobil 1 10W-30 in each of my three former 5xi and it improved cold weather performance. It also comes in a five quart jug which makes it convenient as the refill takes 4.5 quarts.

• Like 6

craig26
17 hours ago, gwest_ca said:

Welcome to the forum.

Have the model and serial number of the tractor? Suspect they are not all the same in all respects so this info will ensure you get the correct manuals.

Tractor service manual may help

Garry

Thank you Gary.  The model number is 73561 and when is get back home I will check the serial.   

craig26
16 hours ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

Yes download the above manuals, but under the seat is the transaxle dipstick check on the level and cold before startup, use 10w30 motor oil, there is also a filter back there for the hydrostatic transaxle and hydraulic lift that should be changed every 100-200 hours of operation, and with your particular xi series tractor the 22 hp has hydrostatic steering as well with a filter behind the hoodstand screens than needs periodic removal and cleaning, 1 or all 3 of these could be your culprit for your "hot" low pressure hydro issues, Jeff.

Very helpful.  Thank you for the troubleshooting advice.  Look forward to reporting back when the holiday travel is over.

• Like 2

craig26
2 hours ago, shallowwatersailor said:

You might consider changing to a synthetic 10W-30 for the transmission/transaxle. I used Mobil 1 10W-30 in each of my three former 5xi and it improved cold weather performance. It also comes in a five quart jug which makes it convenient as the refill takes 4.5 quarts.

10-4 ... I'm a fan of synthetic.   Thanks for the pointer. :)

• Like 1

bc.gold
On 12/22/2018 at 1:17 PM, craig26 said:

Hi Everyone and Merry Xmas to All!

Looking for some assistance please.  My 522XI tractor with a 44" 2 stage snow thrower works great, only issue is that when I first start up the snow thrower lifts great.  After a short time, I do not have the same lift height.  I bought a shed with the hopes of storing but the lift issues are putting a damper on the plans.

I am not the most experienced on the tractor, to the point that I am unsure how to check the hydraulic fluid or what type/brand to use.  Any help trouble shooting guidance/manuals someone can lend would be very helpful and appreciated.   

Sincerely,

Craig

If your implement hydraulics are coming from the transmission charge pump check the pressure with a test gauge you may find that the spring used on the pressure relief has weakened with age.

Sundstrand has a shim kit that you can purchase to make age corrections, get the proper shot repair manual to find out which part numbers are used for the kit you require.

With our seeing your tractor I'm guessing your hydraulic system is coming off of the hydro-static charge pump, when you first start up you say the system works fine but when the oil has warmed up it loses performance. Warm oil loses viscosity and old oil could be worn out or contaminated with moisture bith of which would degrade performance.

Below is only used as a sampling of shims offered by Danfoss / Sundstrand

sample.png

Edited by bcgold
  • Thanks 1

craig26
On ‎12‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 11:18 PM, bcgold said:

If your implement hydraulics are coming from the transmission charge pump check the pressure with a test gauge you may find that the spring used on the pressure relief has weakened with age.

Sundstrand has a shim kit that you can purchase to make age corrections, get the proper shot repair manual to find out which part numbers are used for the kit you require.

With our seeing your tractor I'm guessing your hydraulic system is coming off of the hydro-static charge pump, when you first start up you say the system works fine but when the oil has warmed up it loses performance. Warm oil loses viscosity and old oil could be worn out or contaminated with moisture bith of which would degrade performance.

Below is only used as a sampling of shims offered by Danfoss / Sundstrand

sample.png

Great info bcgold - thank you :)

• Thanks 1

WVHillbilly520H

You're 522xi DOES NOT have a Sundstrand Hydro/transaxle Wheel Horse quit using those in 80s then went to EATON 700 and 1100 series, the Eaton 11 is in the xi series with shaft drive and a Hi and Lo range with a nuetral for towing or pushing.

http://www.eaton.com/Eaton/ProductsServices/Hydraulics/Transmissions/EatonLightDutyHydrostaticTransaxleModels67and11/index.htm

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

craig26
1 hour ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

You're 522xi DOES NOT have a Sundstrand Hydro/transaxle Wheel Horse quit using those in 80s then went to EATON 700 and 1100 series, the Eaton 11 is in the xi series with shaft drive and a Hi and Lo range with a nuetral for towing or pushing.

http://www.eaton.com/Eaton/ProductsServices/Hydraulics/Transmissions/EatonLightDutyHydrostaticTransaxleModels67and11/index.htm

Thanks Hillbilly - you guys have been great!!

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

bmsgaffer

Just another (late) note here. I have noticed the XI's are a bit harder on the hydraulics than the older series.  

You may be in need of a cylinder or valve rebuild. If some of the seals are marginal, they could be letting fluid bypass, which will get worse when hot. I know i am due for some rebuilds (900ish hours on whole tractor, previous owner was not nice to it and had a 60" mower deck). 

I think lowell @wheelhorseman www.wheelhorsepartsandmore.com sells some o-ring kits. 

Edited by bmsgaffer
  • Thanks 1

bc.gold

Not sure where the test ports are located on the Eaton 11 hydro static, in the image below posted under Auxiliary are the specs your expecting on your test gauges.

aux.png

• Thanks 1

bc.gold

With this cheap set of gauges and the data supplied by Sundstrand in the repair manual I was able to take the guess work out of diagnosing a problem with my hydro supply implement hydraulics was weak.

Just need to add a few shims behind the pressure relief valve springs which had weakened with age and thousands of recycles , the gauges informed me when I had reached factory specs.

If I never use this set again they owe me nothing.

flea.png

lak1965

Did you solve your problem? I am having the same issue, changed filter and synthetic 10W-30 cleaned out power steering filter, no change.

Also have a 522xi.

Edited by lak1965

Trouty56

I have the same problem here.....has either person figure this out??  Cylinder???  Hopefully not the charge pump...or the relief valve on the PS unit???  Kinda odd....

lak1965

Problem solved, I broke a belt and had to disconnect the blower, I guess I must has connected it back up differently, the flag on the lift arm was on the bottom hole of the arm, changed it to the second hole up and works like new. Hope this helps others. 

Lance

• Thanks 2

Trouty56
On 11/10/2020 at 7:39 PM, lak1965 said:

Problem solved, I broke a belt and had to disconnect the blower, I guess I must has connected it back up differently, the flag on the lift arm was on the bottom hole of the arm, changed it to the second hole up and works like new. Hope this helps others. 

Lance

Thanks... I just hooked it up quick and connected to the bottom hole... I'll move it up today....way more leverage.  If this does the trick I'll work on the cab next.... Fingers crossed...  I appreciate it Lance.

Update.....Works perfect!!....

Edited by Trouty56

Diesel_Brad

Bumping this to the top.

I just pinned my snow blower to my tractor tonight.(New holland gt22 but the same thing as a 522xi)

It will NOT pick it up(at all)  It is full of oil, with a recent fluid and filter change(maybe 30 hours ago)

How do you test the hydraulic pressure and where

Edited by Diesel_Brad

shallowwatersailor

Have you pinned the lift arms for the mower deck? Are you using the correct hole on the bellcrank?

Diesel_Brad

UGH!!! I am an Idiot. If I would learn some reading comprehension skills.  Use the MIDDLE hole, NOT the Bottom.

It now works PERFECT

BTW I did not have the mower deck lift arms pinned up either. I quickly threw some 3/8 bolts in there for now

Edited by Diesel_Brad