Sign in to follow this  
aghead

Advice to Vet on 1st disability claim

aghead

I am applying for Vet's disability using VA Form 21-526EZ. I would appreciate any input that might help maximize the claim. I'm under Dr's treatment for the following issues and will include Civ. records with my form.

I injured my elbow while serving in the USAF in the 80's. I have had complications every since then and underwent surgery on elbow since then due to that injury, at my cost, not the gov's. 
I contacted and was treated for Psoriasis while in active duty. I am seeing Doctor for possible Psoriatic Arthritis.
My MOS was Supply, specifically Pick up and Delivery. I delivered heavy items from boxes of printer paper, old style steel desks/furniture, and to aircraft parts on the flight-line. I have lower back, neck and shoulder issues, and hearing issues.While active, I went to sick hall for slight back and neck sprain.

Edited by aghead
spelling

Chris G

I would recommend get a VA service rep to assist with claim. I will send you a personal message with a guys number to contact and he will gladly assist you through the whole process. 

• Like 4

Chris G

I been through the process and it can get confusing. But if you have any questions or need help let me know. 

• Like 3

LengerichKA88

If you qualify for membership in the American Legion (When you served) or the VFW (Where you served) I would highly recommend becoming a member, for the sole fact that you can make the organization your service rep. I did mine on my own and got extremely lucky, although I couldn’t tell you a thing about the process because I was kinda ushered through it. I just nodded my head and signed my name. If you make one of the Serivice Organizations your rep, they’ll have a smaller case load than the actual VA reps and be able to go over things in more detail with you. 

I belive other VSOs have reps as well, it’s worth to check around with any and all the organizations that you’re eligible for, such as Fleet Reserve, Marine Corps League, DAV, etc.   

*Afterthought*

It may be harder for you to claim things. The longer you’re out, the more proof they’re going to want that it’s service connected. There is a way to request your medical records through the VAs file storage in St Louis. I would suggest requesting those to have copies on hand. Always, always, always make multiple copies of everything. Treat each thing you give them as homework; you’re not gunna get it back once it’s turned in. 

My cousin just helped her father in law get through the process. He was rushed through it because he was on his third bout of cancer, and it was right after the added Agent Orange to the presumptives list. He was a special case, because when they applied, he needed treatment yesterday, so they rushed him through so that he could start treatment. They won’t work that fast if your not in a life threatening situation. Go into it expecting nothing. That’s what I did and I got awarded 60% service connected disability (I had the same job as you, but in the Corps). I know a guy that was really torn up, went in expecting to get a high rating, started laying back and spending money cause “pay day is coming” and he got awarded 10%..... at the end of the day your at the mercy of who Evers desk your file lands on. Mine took 11 months to process, that’s an extremely short time, but expect it taking up to 36 months. Mine was one of the thousands they pushed through to clear the backlog a few years ago. Once you get your rating, you will get back paid to the date you submitted your claim. I actually got the deposit In my account before I even got my awards letter.  

If you want/need anymore help or assistance, I’d be happy to help in anyway I can. 

*After After thought*

I got awarded 20% initially, then two weeks later I got another deposit that was massive and didn’t know where it came from.  They had adjusted me up to 60%... just know that they may change it. Also, if you’re not 100%T&P (Total And permanent) you will be subject to review every 5 years. That means that every five years you run the risk of a decrease or loss of benefits. There was a story a few years ago about a couple double amputees that gotletters saying that their ratings were reversed, because they had prosthetics, they were therefore no longer “disabled”. It caused a huge $&!¥ storm, (as it should’ve), and the VA eventually awarded them their ratings again, but just know that it’s not permanent unless you end up with 100%T&P, and that’s the holy grail of ratings, short of either dozens of little issues piling up, or one or two massive issues, you won’t ever get that, but no one ever really tells you that it’s subject to review. 

Edited by KyleLengerich

LengerichKA88

Just had another thought that o wanted to share with you: Some states, usually at the County level, have Veteran Service Officers. A buddy of mine just got that position in Ohio, made me think of it. You may see if your state/county government has its own Veteran Service Office (separate from the VA), and see what they can do to help you out as well.