ohiofarmer

difference in gear ratio of 4 and 8 speed?

ohiofarmer

Hey guys.  i picked up a 1056 as a quick fix when I lost the raider 10 engine.  I usually mow grass in 2nd gear high range with the raider and was wondering how the ground speed compares with the earlier 1056 transmission. It might be possible that i swap parts into the raider, or swap Raider parts into the 1056. It seems odd that the front axles on both machines are the same size, but the 1056 has the narrow rear end. Perhaps there has already been some parts traded around before I got it

That little 1056 has seen some wear, and I wonder about the abuse it has suffered. I really enjoy how that little Kohler starts up in cold weather, however.

At some point, I really need to try rebuilding an engine. On the Raider10, there was a little area on the piston wall where all three piston rings lined up and eventually a little volcano of metal shot right out the edge of the piston.  You can feel a little ridge in the cylinder that lines up with the volcano.

I also bought a c-141 that runs poorly and has an egg shaped piston bore. At least a 20 overbore is needed on this one. the engine does run, but no sense in waiting 'till it blows. The remainder of the tractor is a beauty, and another 'borrowed 12 HP is installed in it.

Elkskin's mower junkyard
27 minutes ago, ohiofarmer said:

Hey guys.  i picked up a 1056 as a quick fix when I lost the raider 10 engine.  I usually mow grass in 2nd gear high range with the raider and was wondering how the ground speed compares with the earlier 1056 transmission. It might be possible that i swap parts into the raider, or swap Raider parts into the 1056. It seems odd that the front axles on both machines are the same size, but the 1056 has the narrow rear end. Perhaps there has already been some parts traded around before I got it

That little 1056 has seen some wear, and I wonder about the abuse it has suffered. I really enjoy how that little Kohler starts up in cold weather, however.

At some point, I really need to try rebuilding an engine. On the Raider10, there was a little area on the piston wall where all three piston rings lined up and eventually a little volcano of metal shot right out the edge of the piston.  You can feel a little ridge in the cylinder that lines up with the volcano.

I also bought a c-141 that runs poorly and has an egg shaped piston bore. At least a 20 overbore is needed on this one. the engine does run, but no sense in waiting 'till it blows. The remainder of the tractor is a beauty, and another 'borrowed 12 HP is installed in it.

If u was close I have 2 Kohlers (incomplete) that are currently pull starts that I heard and seen run about 3 years ago. Would be easy to swap parts ones a 10 other is a 12.

• Like 1

Achto
2 hours ago, ohiofarmer said:

I usually mow grass in 2nd gear high range with the raider and was wondering how the ground speed compares with the earlier 1056 transmission.

The gears in the 1056 will be the same as the high range gears in the Raider. The 6/8 speeds were simply an addition of the low range gears to the 3 speed trans.

Edited by Achto
  • Like 3
  • Excellent 1

953 nut
2 hours ago, Achto said:

The gears in the 1056 will be the same as the high range gears in the Raider. The 6/8 speeds were simply an addition of the low range gears to the 3 speed trans.

The only thing that might change your ground speed is the size of the engine and/or transmission pulley and tire diameter being different.

• Like 2

stevasaurus

These guys are right, but I am going to say it.  The gear ratio is in the gears in the transmission.  Like Dan said, that is the same in the 3, 4, 6 and 8 speeds transmission (hi range in the 6 & 8s).  Like Richard said, you can mess with ground speed with size changes in the input and engine drive pulleys, but the ratio in the transmissions remains the same.  To answer your question, if the engine drive pulley, the input pulley, engine RPM and the tire sizes are the same...a race should be a tie. 

"bet my money on the bob tailed nag.......somebody bet on the bay"  :occasion-xmas:

• Like 5
  • Haha 3