richmondred01

Cub Cadet

WVHillbilly520H

Wanna help with my OCC rehab? It has updated engine and seating.

IMAG4220.jpg

• Like 4

peter lena

working with real steel is what really matters, good looking unit , pete

richmondred01

Looks like a nice original. That was about the same condition the 72 was in. 

Is that a k181 rather then the k161?

WVHillbilly520H
9 minutes ago, richmondred01 said:

Looks like a nice original. That was about the same condition the 72 was in. 

Is that a k181 rather then the k161?

Yep second owner dad bought in '76 or '77, went through 3 161s (mowing grass evtill I found these 181s out of a couple Graveleys...heres a pic right after dad and I refurbished it 35 or so years ago

IMAG5497.jpg

• Like 1

richmondred01

Good move. Can’t get the pistons or rings anymore for the small cylinder k161. 

richmondred01

This one maybe will be next. 

A4ECCA76-EC36-41D4-9270-68E0D0D5093B.jpeg

• Like 4

WVHillbilly520H
18 minutes ago, richmondred01 said:

This one maybe will be next. 

A4ECCA76-EC36-41D4-9270-68E0D0D5093B.jpeg

Never seen a rear implement hitch like that one, what are you doing with the snow plow? also ours doesn't have the correct steering wheel, before dad got it the PO rolled/flipped it broke the steering wheel and the grill shell, I still have the S/G and oil bath air cleaners and original seat, the first 161 has a hole in the block with a "patch" over it, it lasted nearly 20 years like that.

• Like 1

richmondred01

I’ll let you know if it I part it.

bc.gold

Have the K301A 12 horse from the Cub Cadet that had a Sundstrand Hydro that I rescued from the landfill. does anyone have an idea on age. I no longer have the data plate from the tractor.

K301A.png

Razorback
2 minutes ago, bcgold said:

Have the K301A 12 horse from the Cub Cadet that had a Sundstrand Hydro that I rescued from the landfill. does anyone have an idea on age. I no longer have the data plate from the tractor.

K301A.png

If your K301 and hydro came from the same tractor..... the earliest Cub Cadet hydro was a 1966 model 123. I have one!

• Thanks 1

bc.gold
7 minutes ago, Razorback said:

If your K301 and hydro came from the same tractor..... the earliest Cub Cadet hydro was a 1966 model 123. I have one!

That old Eh, amazing in that the pump and motor cylinder blocks with piston assemblies from the "U" style Sundstrand used on the Cub Cadet interchanged into the Sundstrand series 15 inline hydro from a 1975 Allis 720.

The Cub was in pretty rough shape missing lots of parts, I'd never been inside a hydro before and decided to disassemble the one from the Cub because the 720 definitely had problems from being towed. Anyhow once I got into the series 15, comparing and measuring parts it was obvious that the motor and pump cylinder assemblies were the same.

Saved myself a lot of $$$ by using the Cub's hydro parts for the series 15 rebuild.

The neighbor from whom I had purchased my Simplicity 9020 has a Cub Cadet laying in the weeds, I'm thinking of making an offer.

bc.gold

There's a PTO clutch attached to the K301A engine, it's not a magnetic one so I'm guessing its a mechanically engaged cone clutch. Would be interesting to see a parts diagram

cone.png

WVHillbilly520H
4 hours ago, bcgold said:

There's a PTO clutch attached to the K301A engine, it's not a magnetic one so I'm guessing its a mechanically engaged cone clutch. Would be interesting to see a parts diagram

cone.png

I rebuilt the PTO on my 106 CC way back in 1994 very simple and I didn't have any manuals just tore it apart and reversed for reassembly.

• Thanks 1

T-Mo

That's a nice looking 72.  Good job on it.  Want to do a CC 100?

richmondred01
3 hours ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

I rebuilt the PTO on my 106 CC way back in 1994 very simple and I didn't have any manuals just tore it apart and reversed for reassembly.

Agreed. Very easy.

you will need an adjustment gauge that come with the kit.

the most difficult thing is removing the Allen set and locking screws. 

• Thanks 1

richmondred01
49 minutes ago, T-Mo said:

That's a nice looking 72.  Good job on it.  Want to do a CC 100?

I can do it but I have more into that 72 then is worth and that doesn’t include my labor. 

T-Mo
9 minutes ago, richmondred01 said:

I can do it but I have more into that 72 then is worth and that doesn’t include my labor. 

That just shows the restoration was done right.  I would be leery of a restoration job if the value of the tractor, after restoring, was worth more than what went into the restoration.  If done right, you will never recoup what you put into it, unless, as Mike of the American Pickers says, you found the end of the rainbow when you sell it.

richmondred01

After doing this 40 I decided that tractors would be more reasonable to do.

91169C96-84D7-44EC-871F-7B0F1D5B939A.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

bc.gold

A word of caution, much of the old equipment that we work used cadmium pigments in the paint, spent sandblasting media containing cadmium would be classified hazardous waste.

Other types of pigments we can expect to find in older paint.

Prior to the 1970's, lead was a common additive in the manufacture of coatings. As a result, wastes and emissions generated during the SSCR process may contain
elevated lead concentrations, as well as trace amounts of other metals such as chromium and cadmium.

cadmium.png

Goldnboy
19 hours ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

Never seen a rear implement hitch like that one, what are you doing with the snow plow? also ours doesn't have the correct steering wheel, before dad got it the PO rolled/flipped it broke the steering wheel and the grill shell, I still have the S/G and oil bath air cleaners and original seat, the first 161 has a hole in the block with a "patch" over it, it lasted nearly 20 years like that.

That 3pt looks like it is of sears brand riders

• Thanks 1

richmondred01

“spent sandblasting media containing cadmium would be classified hazardous waste.“

Thats why the U.S. has New Jersey.......

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

bc.gold

Going a take a pass on this one.

cc1.png

cc2.png

cc3.pngimage hosting sites

Edited by bcgold

richmondred01

Good call. It’s an mtd anyway.

• Like 1

T-Mo
18 minutes ago, richmondred01 said:

Good call. It’s an mtd anyway.

I don't think so - it looks to be a late 70's IH built Cadet lawn tractor.  It has "Cadet" on the hood, which is what IH called their lawn tractors.  MTD would have used "Cub Cadet", plus the styling is similar to the ones I'm seeing in my '78 and '79 brochures.  IH didn't sell the Cub Cadet line until the early 80s.

79_buyers_guide.pdf

78_buyers_guide.pdf