briankd

K301 rebuild

briankd

droped my k301 off at the machine shop today to get bored . talking to different guys about the balance gears in it. was wanting to change brgs in the gears  and herd they come out the gears hard sometimes one guy said he had them in press and acually broke the gear pressing them out. also there are the new style and old style brgs and they aren't cheap.along with the stub shafts may be worn a bit.

went and talk to my old W.H. dealer he said he used to replace them but now for the price he leaves them out he said you wouldn't notice any diff. in it running in a wheel horse. also said something about balancing the crank would help without the balance gears.

that being said anyone done this not putting the balance gears back in ? just worried about some vibration this will be a worker not a show tractor 

Thanks Brian

pacer

I recently took them out of a K341 .... had a 'rattle noise' thought sure it was the balance gears and sure nuff they were quite sloppy -- but turned out they wernt the 'rattle' - it was a sloppy rod!!  Luckily the shaft was still OK, new rod and OK.

So back to removing the B gears, I can NOT tell a BIT of difference without them!

Edited by pacer
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

KC9KAS

I had a 16 HP K series rebuilt WITHOUT the balance gears...never looked back!

• Like 3

953 nut
1 hour ago, briankd said:

anyone done this not putting the balance gears back in ?

I for one would leave them out!    Here is a thread on the balance gear issue that will probably add to your confusion.          :ychain:

• Thanks 1

oldredrider

I've rebuilt countless Kohler engines. I always pull the balance gears out and leave them out. NEVER a problem. They are not worth putting new bearings in because you won't notice any difference.

If they are not in, they can't come thru the block.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 3

oliver2-44

I left them out of a K301 i rebuilt a few years ago. No change in vibration.  

I've heard about having the crank balanced but have not had it done.  I have a 16hp k341 to rebuild and I'm thinking about asking the machine shop about balancing the crank.  

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

briankd
22 hours ago, oliver2-44 said:

I left them out of a K301 i rebuilt a few years ago. No change in vibration.  

I've heard about having the crank balanced but have not had it done.  I have a 16hp k341 to rebuild and I'm thinking about asking the machine shop about balancing the crank.  

i asked the machine shop about balanceing the crank they just looked at me confused  so told them oh whatever

briankd

i'm going to order the rebuild kit from I save tractors  know a guy that has ordered half dozen kits from them and are  good quality. you get everything even new carb , coil, valves and gaskets, brgs and seals

turning the crank on this i think it can go .005 turned down ? i had my crank turned in my K 181 and can't remember the spec been to long ago

Edited by briankd
none

oldredrider

"Normal" crank grinding on Kohlers go in .010 increments. Check for oversize rod replacement size availability before grinding the crank.

Of course, crank pin condition determines what size grind you will need.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Howie

Go to www.kirkengines.com they sell a plate that goes on crank when balance gears are removed. 

I knew I had seen it somewhere. Don't know if it is totally necessary but they are out there.

Instructions come with the kit.

briankd
On 12/20/2018 at 1:47 PM, Howie said:

Go to www.kirkengines.com they sell a plate that goes on crank when balance gears are removed. 

I knew I had seen it somewhere. Don't know if it is totally necessary but they are out there.

Instructions come with the kit.

i checked that out and looks like something a machine shop would have to do if you don't get it right in machining the counterweight you would screw up the crank. i think i will just see what happens without the gears in there.

machine shop called and have my block done but the crank they says bad would have to turn down .020. i checked out Isave tractors and they offer a .020 conn. rod so im good to go and don" t have to find a diff crank for this 301

Edited by briankd
  • Like 1

Howie

Yeah, I had forgotten what all was involved with that although the work involved does not look that 

hard. Machine shop required or someone with their own lathe to get that flat spot. Not for someone

without the equipment. I just knew I had seen them somewhere.