WHX??

A Tale of Two 520's

WHX??

So I have two 520's Since I don't name my tractors I just call them 520 #2 & #3. 520 # 1 is in good health. Not so much for 2 & 3! :sad-pacing:

#2 is a 1996 73501

Overall decent shape except for the Onan. Starts and runs but smokes and has a nasty smelling exhaust. Fouls out new plugs and dirties fresh oil in an hour if it doesn't burn it all first. Bad rings I suspect. 9 pin connector has been taken out completely but not the worse job of splicing back together. All gauges work as should except for hour meter I suspect which says 454 if you can believe it. Transmission is good yet but it and the whole tractor needs a bath. It has the older stick on style floor board and a different steering wheel from #3. I probably overpaid for this tractor but more than made up for it on #3. Came with in decent shape SS tall chute blower. Its primary duty was to get left at the cabin for snow removal duty.

#3 is a 1996 73502

Has good PPG20 motor, Starts and run with a little smoke & surging but goes away when warmed up. I suspect the coil has been replaced as it is not mounted down in the motor but up on top with a relocation bracket. The bad is the left rear axle and hub need replacing. Hub was loose and wallowed and then proceeded to chew on the axle. I have it temp. repaired with a song and a prayer just to get it to limp around the yard.   None of the gauges work, tie rod ends are loose and axle spindle end are wallowed out bad. 2400 hrs on a non working meter. This tractor has the newer style buttoned on floor boards & a real ungly seat! This tractor I actually made $75 after  I sold the deck and a blade that came with it so a FREE tractor. We like free! :lol:

My plan is to cannibalize one to make the other one sound and my thought was to take the motor off  3 and drop it in 2. The carcass would be then parted out. It was suggested to put a 16 HP Kohler thumper in it or a 22 hp Predator in the donor tractor. The problem with that is it would take more to $$ to do that then what it is worth.

Now I'm on the fence about which one to cannibalize? May be do a transmission swap instead?

20181216_161831[1].jpg

20181216_161926[1].jpg

20181216_162028[1].jpg

Edited by WHX21
speeling
  • Like 8
  • Excellent 1
  • Sad 1

Chris G

Sounds like a good project. Me personally I would probably just start with tearing them down and assembling one solid machine. Then I would look at what's left and make the decision from there.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

953 nut

I think swapping the engine would be a lot less work that swapping the transaxle. They both look nice otherwise so parting out could be quite doable.

Thanks for telling us your   Image result for tall tale                     :ychain:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

WHX??
43 minutes ago, Chris G said:

tearing them down and assembling one solid machine

If I had time Chris that's what I would do. Frame off teardown and taking the best of both. Maybe even doing a @dclarke 520 look alike job on one. Trouble is I don't have the time with 1055 project and others well underway. Also don't have the room with just one service bay open and I need to get her back on duty asap. Simple motor swap might be the best option right now. I plan on doing a teardown of the smoker just to see what it might need. Who know maybe a inexpensive Onan re-ring job. Did I just use inexpensive and Onan in the same sentence?!?! :huh:

• Haha 6

WHX??
1 hour ago, 953 nut said:

They both look nice otherwise so parting out could be quite doable.

That's the other half of the problem ...almost too nice to part out. Parting out and I don't get along well. I get it that some must die that others may live but that doesn't mean I have to like it.

These were the tires on # 3 ...someone was doing a lot of turning on pavement with this girl. Might explain why the tie rod end have 3/16" play in them and the messed up hub. This was a weird score, it came with a deck but not one piece of grass clipping anywhere on it. The blade looked almost NOS but had no swept extension. The whole tractor had what looked like feed mill or flour dust all over it and caked thick. When she got a bath this came off cleanly and left shiny red underneath. She now sports some nice turfs donated by #1 when she got her V61's.

20180421_150124[1].jpg

Edited by WHX21

Chris G

Well my friend I guess it kinda sounds like you know what ya got to do for now. But your fighting the decision of what you really want to do LOL

• Thanks 1

WVHillbilly520H

Jim, you never know you may get lucky with a re-ring job on Onan #2 and you wouldn't have to part out #3...funny you mention you dont name them since I the 2 I still have came from the same dealer, Fred 1 and 2 would be my 520s   :ROTF:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

dclarke

Swapping motors sounds like a plan Jim, if you need it going now. You can always hang onto the other one for parts if your plan is make one out of two.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Lee1977

Somebody's kid was doing bird circles in the asphalt parking lot down the street.  I have run tires 20 years and had 3/4 of the tread left. They died from dry rot setting inside the garage.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

WVHillbilly520H
25 minutes ago, Lee1977 said:

Somebody's kid was doing bird circles in the asphalt parking lot down the street.  I have run tires 20 years and had 3/4 of the tread left. They died from dry rot setting inside the garage.

Yep I concur...these were the original Dico brand tires that came on the Anniversary 520H I bought new.

IMAG3751.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

ericj

I've seen tires wear like that on other tractors, not sure if it comes from front end alignment, running heavy front attachments or both on blacktop. Since usually it's only one tire, I might say the front end alignment on blacktop.

eric j     

Edited by ericj
  • Thanks 1

WHX??
2 hours ago, Lee1977 said:

Somebody's kid was doing bird circles in the asphalt parking lot down the street.  

Exactly what I was thinkin Lee...might account for the 24k on the clock as well.

2 hours ago, dclarke said:

Swapping motors sounds like a plan Jim, if you need it going now. You can always hang onto the other one for parts if your plan is make one out of two.

Thanks Denny... Pretty sure that's what to do. Fact of the matter is spent some quality time in shop tonight with both. My problem as always is to make two out of two....see post 5.

Loosened up the motor in 2 and hands covered in grime. Loosened up 3 and hands clean enough to pick my nose. # 3 did have the luxury of a bath first but still amazes me how clean the motor is, on both sides.

I already got 953nut haranging me for parts should I parts one out but I owe him big time so he gets a little latitude! :lol:

Best to do what Chris suggested but once the tractor goes back to the cabin for duty it won't see much love. Lack of facilities if you know what I mean and Cindy's Prius that we use for getting up ther and back for mileage purposes ain't exactly suited for hauling. :unsure:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

elcamino/wheelhorse

@WHX21 Your whole problem is space , either build an addition on your garage or donate part of your herd to me. Them you will have room to work on both tractors.:ROTF:

• Haha 1

WHX??

No think so Jimbo...problem is I got this monkey on my back called making a living yet ... a job you might say! :lol: You old retired f÷%€@ forget we ain't quite ther yet and you guys  forget how it is to have to punch a clock! If I had the time I can build space to house my herd... and yours so I may be coming for yer herd before you get mine! :)

elcamino/wheelhorse

@WHX21 I punched a clock once broke my knuckles. We appreciate you working so hard so we get our social security checks each month. We would like a bigger raise . When you drive down to make your donation please makes sure it is not between 1 and 3 pm. Don't want my daily nap interrupted .

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

PeacemakerJack
9 hours ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

@WHX21 Your whole problem is space , either build an addition on your garage...

8 hours ago, WHX21 said:

...If I had the time I can build space to house my herd...and yours...

I know a “guy” with a mad set of framing skills that would love to frame you up a purpose built horse barn when you are ready Jim:handgestures-thumbupright: just say the word and I’ll get to :tools-hammerdrill:

• Excellent 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

T-Mo
29 minutes ago, PeacemakerJack said:

I know a “guy” with a mad set of framing skills that would love to frame you up a purpose built horse barn when you are ready Jim:handgestures-thumbupright: just say the word and I’ll get to :tools-hammerdrill:

Can you frame one up a  bit south of you...., say, Missouri?  I can always use another building for stuff, horses, Cubs, attachments & implements, etc.....

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

WHX??

Have to get your self one of those instant garages like me  Terry.. winter set in too fast to get anything permanent for me!

Update got both motors pulled and draining oil now. This would be an easy swap if not having to deal with the nine pins.

• Like 3

WVHillbilly520H
3 hours ago, WHX21 said:

Have to get your self one of those instant garages like me 

Like this...how many can you hoard up in there..:confusion-confused:...:ROTF:

IMAG2427.jpg

• Haha 1

chip61

How long do those hold up for you?? I've had a couple in the past and they were great, but the sun killed them after a couple years. It sure was nice to have that extra space

WHX??

I just put up this one https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/category_tarps-canopies-shelters+instant-garages-instant-shelters+alpine-style-instant-garages-shelters and I got a dozen :wh: in it plus four tons of stove pellets in it. I figure I get four years out of it don't owe me anything. Was a heck of a lot cheaper than a permanent structure and a lot faster. What I shoulda done tho is poured footings for it and use them for a built structure when this one takes a crapola.

20181013_115428[1].jpg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 2

PeacemakerJack

That is definitely pressing the “easy button” Jim and certainly a good short term solution to provide protection from the midwestern weather elements.  Thanks for posting the link.  

elcamino/wheelhorse

I purchased one of the elcheapos from H Ft years ago , lasted for years until a big oak decided it did not like the wind during a hurricane. I am things about buying another as soon as @WHX21 lets me know how many horses he is bring me for Christmas. 

• Haha 1

WVHillbilly520H
6 hours ago, chip61 said:

How long do those hold up for you?? I've had a couple in the past and they were great, but the sun killed them after a couple years. It sure was nice to have that extra space

It lasted right at 2 years before tarp decided to rip right over the upper frame work, so then I up graded to this which is a bit more suitable, only thing I wish I have done was doors 18'x20' with 8' walls and snow and wind rated for $2500 and I didn't lift a finger except writing the check to erect it.

IMAG3424.jpg

IMAG3961.jpg

Edited by WVHillbilly520H
  • Like 3

WHX??
1 hour ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

how many horses he is bring me

No :wh: Jimbo but I know a couple of horses a$$es I could send you! :laughing-rolling:

11 minutes ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

rip right over the upper frame work,

I got a feeling that's what's gonna happen here. I think I got it stretched a little tight & then when it got cold out it shrunk a tad more. May have to loosen it up a bit. The barn cats also get in to nap on seats but hopefully keep the mice out of engine tins.

That really ain't the worst price Billy. I figured 7-9k for a pole shed about that size...more when I get ready to build it.  Something like that will  last a loonng time unless a tree does come down on it. I like the maintenance free metal. Plus a guy could run a little conduit inside for some charging outlets and a light or two.  Yah a service & over head door would be a must. I would guess you could get a roll up style for it.

• Like 1