snowhound

Steering problem

snowhound

On my 417 A I need to replace the bushing in the steering support, part 109733, it's the part that the steering wheel shaft goes into.  Does anyone have any tricks or warnings that would save me some aggravation or frustration? 

peter lena

hello snow hound, this is a regular issue that can be repaired. you have two choices, replace the existing bearing with the same type, problem is that the mounting hole is probably heavily worn. or you can replace it with a   2   bolt flange bearing, look below

that would bolt onto the cross support for the old bearing . the pictures show mounting. the wheel removal is probably the worst part , in addition to penetrating oil soak on cross spring pin. get some help to hold against the wheel as you use a 1/4" punch and hammer to remove it. the more solid your impacts are , without bouncing , the greater chance the pin will ,drive out. this helps in " warnings and frustration ". hope it helps you out , Pete

• Like 1

snowhound

Thanks for the reply I'll look into the flange bearing.

Lee1977

When you get to upper steering shaft fixed. Check the fan gear they can be shimmed to take out any excess play. 

• Like 2

snowhound

Will do