The Tuul Crib

Gas tank clean out

The Tuul Crib

Anyone have any idea where I can find one of these gas caps

IMG_4999.JPG

IMG_5001.JPG

AMC RULES

Might try looking through a "kohler gas cap" search on Ebay.

The Tuul Crib
32 minutes ago, AMC RULES said:

Might try looking through a "kohler gas cap" search on Ebay.

No luck there

AMC RULES

Maybe not today...

save the search, I've seen them there before.

• Thanks 1

WHNJ701
9 minutes ago, AMC RULES said:

Maybe not today...

save the search, I've seen them there before.

I just checked they are on there 19 bucks free shipping

pixel.gifNEW OEM Kohler Fuel Cap
Part Number:
236655-S

THIS PART IS USED ON SOME OF THESE MODELS AND MORE:

K161 K181 K241 K301 K321 K341 K91

Edited by jabelman
  • Like 1

The Tuul Crib
2 hours ago, jabelman said:

I just checked they are on there 19 bucks free shipping

pixel.gifNEW OEM Kohler Fuel Cap
Part Number:
236655-S

THIS PART IS USED ON SOME OF THESE MODELS AND MORE:

K161 K181 K241 K301 K321 K341 K91

This is the screw in cap #

The Tuul Crib

I actually found it on eBay and it's part number 10756. It's a gravely part with the same diameter as the tag on the wheel horse tractor 

The Tuul Crib
13 hours ago, 953 nut said:

That's exactly the That I need. Didn't know that you could get the filler neck to you as well but that is not needed and it's cheaper than fleabay!!

Thanx!!

• Like 1

The Tuul Crib
On 12/16/2018 at 5:04 PM, formariz said:

I have used this unusual method for years and its always been extremely effective. No chemicals no noise. Takes a little thinking and setting up but once you have the system set up , then every other time its cake. I have a thread about it here somewhere. Its just plain electrolysis. I first do the inside of tank then the outside.

IMG_3991.JPG.7fb757240db5562496fc4d940a00f89d.JPG

IMG_4030.JPG.6fde81cea2ea58e0abc17f6e768fb2e0.JPG

IMG_4022.JPG.715bac5ca1916b5d3dcabd88058ba5ca.JPG

IMG_4026.JPG

IMG_4021.JPG

So the positive is the anode to the water inside the tank and the negative the cathode goes to the out side of the tank? Right? How much baking soda is needed?

WHNJ701

did you soak it vinagar 

The Tuul Crib
23 minutes ago, jabelman said:

did you soak it vinagar 

Yes  I did but a guy at work said the best way to do it is electrolysis. He said you would not have to seal the inside of the tank after you do this. Soaking in vinegar does work but it will rust  almost instantly after you rinse it out. 

formariz
22 hours ago, The Tool Crib said:

So the positive is the anode to the water inside the tank and the negative the cathode goes to the out side of the tank? Right? How much baking soda is needed?

Correct, positive goes to the anode(inside tank) and negative goes to tank. Plug the exit hole on the bottom of tank and attach negative clip to that. My anode is bent so its horizontal inside of tank and as long as possible. Just ensure that anode does not touch tank. I use a rubber stopper with a hole in it. Amount of baking soda is not too critical in such a small quantity of fluid. Half a cup is OK. Just mix it well .

22 hours ago, The Tool Crib said:

Yes  I did but a guy at work said the best way to do it is electrolysis. He said you would not have to seal the inside of the tank after you do this. Soaking in vinegar does work but it will rust  almost instantly after you rinse it out. 

Keep in mind that immediately after cleaning with any method that uses liquid it will start to rust immediately as it becomes in contact with air. I dry them slowly over a kerosene heater for a few minutes each time as not to overheat metal. Then you can seal it with your sealer of choice.

With all due respect to all other methods and people who use them, I don't believe there is a more efficient or effective method, particularly when it comes to the inside of an enclosure like that. Cleaning is 100% complete and it  is scientifically proven. You just have to be patient and work out the method for this particular application. Fully research the process as to why and how it works and  you will understand why I make such a statement.

Edited by formariz

Pullstart

It wouldn’t work inside a tank, but has anyone ever seen laser rust removal?  My father in-law told me about it last night...  it blew my mind.

The Tuul Crib

Holy cow where can I get one!! 

The Tuul Crib

Just looked at the article on that and it sells for 480,000 dollars!! I think I'll stay with electrolysis!

• Confused 1

bottjernat1
1 minute ago, The Tool Crib said:

Just looked at the article on that and it sells for 480,000 dollars!! I think I'll stay with electrolysis!

Holy crap! WOW! maybe if we start a go fund me page. And call it save our horses! we can buy one. LOL

• Excellent 1
  • Haha 1

jebbear

I vote for electrolysis. Follow-up with a rinse of phosphoric acid (if you can find it), if not vinegar (just takes a little longer). I would advise against muriatic acid, destroys to much too fast and always seems to rust immediately upon removal.

jebbear
On 12/27/2018 at 5:57 PM, pullstart said:

anyone ever seen laser rust removal?  

On 12/28/2018 at 11:29 AM, The Tool Crib said:

Jeeeezem Petes! I must say that is totally amazing, but $480,000, naaahhh! Electrolysis and vinegar!

• Like 1

The Tuul Crib

OK so I got my gas tank cleaned out looks good on the inside. Ended up using vinegar and setting for around two weeks. As I am blowing air into the tank I've noticed two tiny pin holes pushing out bubbles .  Is there a solution to line the inside of the tank which he fix this ?

Horseoholic

This product here made by POR 15 is a gas tank sealant that is for this purpose also is great for covering "Light" rusty areas inside fuel tanks. After coating tank it looks like brand new and fuel will not harm coating, I used this on a Continental engine and Clinton engine's fuel tanks with real good results. It can be purchased from Amazon, it can be pricey but worth it.

IMG_20190101_145019.jpg

WHNJ701
20 minutes ago, The Tool Crib said:

OK so I got my gas tank cleaned out looks good on the inside. Ended up using vinegar and setting for around two weeks. As I am blowing air into the tank I've noticed two tiny pin holes pushing out bubbles .  Is there a solution to line the inside of the tank which he fix this ?

red cote

richmondred01

I’ve just sealed one using a three step kit.

ive got enough to do another or I’ve got tanks.

pm me if interested.

Pullstart

I sealed up an S-10 tank with JB Weld 2 part epoxy once, it was a “quick fix” to get where we were going on the side of the road, but still holds to this day, last I checked anyway!  Being the side of the road, you can imagine how much prep work was involved...  I think I wiped the area with a rag, then applied the epoxy. 

richmondred01

I been using Hirsch products for 30 years. It also needs to be prepped with etch and dried with a mixture of toluene and methyl Ethel ketone.

The process takes several days but when it’s done right it lasts. 

I did the tank in my 40 Ford 30 years ago and stil no issues.

https://www.hirschauto.com/ALCOHOL-RESISTANT-GAS-TANK-SEALER/productinfo/GTS/