The Tuul Crib

Sad times

The Tuul Crib

Watched a small story about the downfall of Sears. It's sad when a company as  such can fail without the possibility of even getting back on its feet. Seems now no amout of money can help. The real reason for this post is  the craftsman tools I'm sure a lot of us may have in a drawer or toolbox across this country. Now lowes is taking over that craftsman name with one hitch,  

what I'm told is now to get a replacement on a craftsman piece such as say a ratchet you have to have a receipt! Now to those who have had theses tools bought 30 years ago 

where would we get that!!

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

KC9KAS

Sad indeed!

WHNJ701

I wouldn't consider it sad, it's there own fault why failed. they failed to keep up with a changing market and a new generation of customers.  the quality of the merchandise was getting worse and worse over the years.

as for craftsman tools they really aren't that to begin with unless you have sets when they were actually made with us steel from the 70s and 60s.  their rachets were always garbage and never held up.  now if look at lowes the quality of the new craftsman tools is no different than harbor freight kobalt or husky tools it's all mass production Chinese made.

• Like 3

elcamino/wheelhorse

My :twocents-twocents: at least if you have a Lowes close to you , there are way more Craftsman tools than at a Sears Store.  I wander around the tool section at Sears while the wife tries on all the clothes and buys nothing. We only have one Sears left in Richmond , Va as of February . The shelves at Sears are empty. Sears just can't get their act together. The downfall started with the Kmart - Sears combination . We haven't had a Kmart in Richmond in years. 

• Like 1

SylvanLakeWH

Seems like there is a race to the bottom regarding quality in a lot of areas. It's all about price. Make it cheap enough to do the job for a short time and then toss it away when it breaks and buy another one cheaply...

HHHMMM...sounds like the garden tractor industry and the demise of a certain brand of red tractors...

Let's keep them :wh:'s going!!!

:twocents-02cents:

• Excellent 3

Ed Kennell

Yep, we live in a throw away era.

Apex Landfill Biggest Garbage Dump

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2
  • Sad 3

Chris G
18 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

Yep, we live in a throw away era.

Very very sad to say. But it is a throw away society, most people want the immediate satisfaction and quick results. Putting time and work into somethjng, to in the end have a better quality and more reliable long lasting anything is becoming something of the past.  

• Like 3

WHX??

Old saying Crib ya snooze ya lose... thinkin maybe thats what happened to Sears and our beloved Crapsman.

JAinVA

I started a thread here when Sears announced its bankruptcy.There were many members who had their opinions as to why Sears failed.I was talking to a cashier at the local Lowes and she told me that her husband hated Craftsman tools and bought only Kobalt.What of their warranty if they drop the brand?I have bought Craftsman tools for over 40 years and have broken only a few.I find I lose more than anything else.Just my take on the sad state of the new reality.

Edited by JAinVA
  • Like 2

WHNJ701

do you think all the people in 1800s complained when the sears catalog came out with mail order shopping and put trading posts and general stores out of business?  

• Like 2

Achto
12 hours ago, The Tool Crib said:

Now lowes is taking over that craftsman name with one hitch,

I recently took some Craftsman tools to my local Ace Hardware (also a Craftsman dealer). They were warrantied with no questions asked.

If you happen to still have a K-Mart, they carry Craftsman tools also.

Edited by Achto
  • Like 4