pfrederi

Starter generator = Hybrid ??? Power Boost

pfrederi

Was reading about some Mercedes with a hybrid system, .  Got to thinking these are really just starter motor/ alternators between the engine and the drive train.  If you had a Starter generator system and needed a short term power boost  (like for a puller) or moving heavy logs pushing heavy snow etc.  What would happen if you installed switch that feed power to the A terminal on the S/G and opened the field circuit bypassing the regulator   The S/G would act like it was trying to crank the engine and provide extra boost ....If you had the original NF22 battery you could get a reasonable period of boost....or am I nuts....

• Excellent 1

ebinmaine

You may be nuts but probably not for that reason...

:lol:

The only question that comes to mind is what would the RPM matchup be?

Would the SG be able to spin as high an RPM that  the engine already is to be able to give it the additional boost?

• Like 1

953 nut

This sounds like turning off the AC on an under-powered car to achieve a little extra power for passing.    :auto-layrubber:    The S/G would probably add a little power at the right RPMs. If you had a mechanism that could adjust the speed of the S/G to the engine it may be able to do the trick.    :confusion-confused:  of course by the time you deducted the mechanical losses it probably wouldn't help.

Eric posted while I was typing, seems we were thinking alike.      :scared-yipes:

• Like 1

ebinmaine
12 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

Eric posted while I was typing, seems we were thinking alike

That can't possibly be good news for you........

:P

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Sarge

Those hybrid boost systems now being built by Mercedes and Fiat/Chrysler are purpose-built from the ground up. An old-school starter-gen would never have enough rpm to keep up with an engine running at full power/speed to help at all. Maybe with a spring-loaded governor pulley, but the boost would be so little I doubt you'd notice it. Not sure how long that unit would last anyway - feeding current of that high of a load would create a phenomenal amount of heat.

Now, a dc motor and speed controller is an idea..lol.

Sarge