WildmanC120

Whats the general consensus on the GT14?

WildmanC120

I have the opportunity to pick one up here locally pretty cheap.  It does not have the 3 point on it, but I will be looking to add it.  That's the main reason for me buying it is for the 3 point. 

I do not know much about these.  Do they use the same trans as the C series?  Does the 3 point have down pressure?  Was this an upgraded model for the time? I ask because it looks like it has a bunch of cast parts plus the electric clutch.

Chris G

I'm not to certain of exacts on the machine. But I believe they fall in the category of a estate type tractor. I do know several owners of them and they love them. 

WildmanC120
6 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

The GT-14 was the top of the line :wh: at the time. It uses the Sundstrand transaxle, but it is the hydrogear rather than the later piston to piston. If the trans is in good operating condition you have nothing to fear, they are tough as nails as long as they have been maintained and not excessively abused. Mine has a FEL, wheel weights, liquid filled tires and a home made weight box, it is unstoppable! The hydraulic lift has good down pressure.

294845978_GT-14withFEL004.JPG.19324eda2a6a63ad426831094b7ae06d.JPG

I'm not sure what the differences are between the 2 transaxles.  Is one better than the other?

I ask about down pressure because I would like to get a rake or back blade for it, so having down pressure would be key. 

• Like 1

953 nut

The piston to piston are considered to be a more durable unit than the hydrogear, but lots of us are very pleased with their performance.

21 minutes ago, WildmanC120 said:

ask about down pressure because I would like to get a rake or back blade for it, so having down pressure would be key. 

There is a solid link that connects the lift piston to the rear lift and the cylinder is a double acting unit. I had a York rake on the GT-14 for a while and it would dig in quite well if you didn't have the wheels adjusted properly.

2128219370_yorkrake004.JPG.5f63a537e1d148d6f4e0a4cb43d179a4.JPG

• Like 5
  • Excellent 1

pfrederi

I have had good luck with hydro gears.  However they are not really repairable.  Piston to piston you can, with some effort, repair them.

That York rake looks familiar:P  Also used as counter weight on a  D200 with FEL

Get it warmed up put it against an immovable object and see if she will spin the rear wheels/...

Edited by pfrederi
  • Thanks 1

953 nut
3 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

However they are not really repairable.

Well,   Yes and NO!     I was successful in taking the hydrogear drive unit and replacing the abused one that was on my GT-14 with a good used one from a Elecrto. Just had to change out the output gear as the one on a GT-14 is not the same size, I did a thread on here about it.

• Like 3

pfrederi

You are right but hat is more replaceable than repairable.  i was thinking about refinishing slippers and valve plates in a piston to piston...You can only do that on the pump side of a hydro gear.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

WildmanC120

What are the differences in how they operate?  Why are they not repairable? 

953 nut
9 hours ago, WildmanC120 said:

Why are they not repairable?

This information is from the Sundstrand manual. Two of the most common failures would be the Pump becoming worn and the Acceleration Springs being broken. Both of these conditions are repairable if corrected before they are damaged beyond repair. The Hydrogear Motor (transfers the hydraulic pressure into rotating force to drive the unit) has extremely tight tolerances and isn't something an average mechanic can service.

• Like 1

KC9KAS

The GT-14 is somewhat of a "horse of a different color". As most Wheel Horse attachments interchange with other WH tractors, the GT-14 takes some special adaptations.

The tillers are different, as well as deck installation....UNLESS you install a newer Attach-a-matic and fabricate a front mule drive. Tires & wheels are larger and only 4 bolt hubs.

On my GT-14 I added a 2nd hydraulic cylinder and control valve for the 3 point lift so the snow plow AND grader blade could be attached and used separately.

Don't get me wrong, my GT-14 is a beast when it comes to pushing snow!

• Like 3

oldredrider

I've owned a GT-14 for about 15 years. Gone thru everything on it and repaired anything that was worn or broken. Have used it for mowing but, as mentioned, it is an "estate tractor"...too big for my size yard. Delegated it to moving dirt, mulch and snow. 

It can't be beat for this type of work. It is a beast! I have fluid filled tires that add over 200#, plus wheel weights (another 125#) plus another 125# of weight up front and run rubber tire chains on it. 

If you need a tractor for serious work, it can't be beat by any other Wheel Horse IMO.

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

oldredrider

Also need to add another plus...it has a limited slip differential. Another reason it's so good at pushing.

• Like 4

WildmanC120
4 hours ago, KC9KAS said:

The GT-14 is somewhat of a "horse of a different color". As most Wheel Horse attachments interchange with other WH tractors, the GT-14 takes some special adaptations.

The tillers are different, as well as deck installation....UNLESS you install a newer Attach-a-matic and fabricate a front mule drive. Tires & wheels are larger and only 4 bolt hubs.

On my GT-14 I added a 2nd hydraulic cylinder and control valve for the 3 point lift so the snow plow AND grader blade could be attached and used separately.

Don't get me wrong, my GT-14 is a beast when it comes to pushing snow!

Thanks for the heads up.  I plan to only use 3 point attachments with this so finding GT specific shouldn't be an issue.  

• Like 2

pacer

You seem to have a lot of your questions answered but one that wasnt touched on was --- Is a 3 point gonna be available ??? I would think that could possibly be a hangup. I know the "Big D's" 3 pts as parts are pretty scarce!

WildmanC120
4 hours ago, pacer said:

You seem to have a lot of your questions answered but one that wasnt touched on was --- Is a 3 point gonna be available ??? I would think that could possibly be a hangup. I know the "Big D's" 3 pts as parts are pretty scarce!

May take some looking but I'm sure one will turn up at some point.  

19richie66

I believe the arms and lift links from a D can be used. The upper lift assembly I believe Lowell makes. The rear cylinder is the same as a D and the one in the tunnel if you wanted to add the rear independent lift. Valve is the same but you would have to add the lever and linkage. Scan the classifieds and something will show up. I got lucky that another forum member fixed me up and I just got a “jewel” that has a complete 3 point on it. They are out there. And the gt14 is a tank. I haven’t used mine for heavy work yet but she will be getting a workout soon. 

• Like 3

Super-C 4 me

# point hitch and gt14 in NY

Edited by T-Mo
No linking to CL's ads per rules.
  • Excellent 1

Aldon

Just remember that it’s a Cat 0 3 point.

As far as attachments, I did a thread on adding the more modern attach-a-matic brackets. So that can free you to run a more modern 48” deck.

And I was able to run a 60” C195 style deck as well.

The 3 point tiller can be a bit challenging to find in decent condition. And the speed of the tines makes tilling somewhat slower than some would like.

It’s my favorite model and I have tinkered with them quite a bit but for mowing, like @oldredrider, I prefer a smaller tractor, C160 8 speed for mowing as the GT14 is a bit large for my yard and not as nimble.

• Like 2

meadowfield

Love my GT14s great piece of kit and the rear three points have downforce too!

One of mine has a modified D series three point, the other is a copy I made

IMG-20120510-00669.jpg.10cd9df7c63e519d42b8717677025cfe.jpgIMG-20120507-00648.jpg.9bbfedd261289886e7a52bddc344da55.jpg

• Like 4
  • Excellent 3
  • Thanks 1

19richie66
20 hours ago, bmiller0457 said:

# point hitch and gt14 in NY

That 3 point setup has the wrong bottom bracket. Not saying it won’t work but The one pictured is a plow frame mount. The correct one bolts to the back of the axle housing and the lower arms use seperate pins instead of a single bar. Picture shows correct lower bracket.

083D43C9-92CD-43E8-BC41-7C0DEDB40E19.jpeg

Edited by 19richie66
Picture added
  • Like 1

953 nut
6 minutes ago, 19richie66 said:

That setup has the wrong bottom bracket. The one pictured is a plow frame mount. The correct one bolts to the back of the axle housing and the lower arms use seperate pins instead of a single bar. I’ll have to find a picture 

:text-yeahthat:               Very light duty home made unit.The factory mount has a lot beefier setup and doesn't connect to the axle bracket.

meadowfield

rear mount looks like this

IMG_20140704_201844_zpsk8nni4ra.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Aldon
3 hours ago, meadowfield said:

rear mount looks like this

IMG_20140704_201844_zpsk8nni4ra.jpg

That is the correct bracket for the dependent style that uses the draw bar over transmission tunnel. Basically it shares the cylinder that lifts the deck or blade implements.

The independent set up is slightly different I believe. That allows a separate second cylinder that allows independent use.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Rob R
5 hours ago, 953 nut said:

:text-yeahthat:               Very light duty home made unit.The factory mount has a lot beefier setup and doesn't connect to the axle bracket.

I own and built the bottom Rear axle attachment and I can assure you that is NOT light duty I have used this set-up for years lifting connecting an aerator (it weighs at least 100lbs with added 100lbs of lead weights) and a lifting platform on which I lifted hundreds of pounds of material with NO issues, the two inch receiver makes a multitude of attachment easy to hook on to, additionally I pulled heavy loads and remove medium size tree stumps hooking directly to the cross bar and lifting and pulling with the hydro and Tractor again NO issue(s). 

• Like 3