WildmanC120

Whats the general consensus on the GT14?

19richie66

I never questioned it’s “ability” just stated it wasn’t the factory mount. That actually would be handy though if you needed to install a grader blade as it attaches to the bottm with the latches and you would just need to undo the latches to drop the 3 point arms. The one I have on mine has the extra little tab in the left side for the second cylinder mount. I just noticed it wasn’t a factory bracket. I hope my statement wasn’t taken wrong. If so, my apologies as that wasn’t why I posted that.

Edited by 19richie66

Rob R
24 minutes ago, 19richie66 said:

I never questioned it’s “ability” just stated it wasn’t the factory mount. That actually would be handy though if you needed to install a grader blade as it attaches to the bottm with the latches and you would just need to undo the latches to drop the 3 point arms. The one I have on mine has the extra little tab in the left side for the second cylinder mount. I just noticed it wasn’t a factory bracket. I hope my statement wasn’t taken wrong. If so, my apologies as that wasn’t why I posted that.

Richie my point and only issue is that this hitch is NOT light duty and in fact has capabilities that the strickly OEM unit does NOT.  Thanks 

• Like 1

WildmanC120
40 minutes ago, 19richie66 said:

Thanks for pointing out the bracket. I would prefer the stock bracket or the one for independent lift.  Quick release on a 3 point does just seem a little too light duty. 

WildmanC120
15 hours ago, Aldon said:

Just remember that it’s a Cat 0 3 point.

As far as attachments, I did a thread on adding the more modern attach-a-matic brackets. So that can free you to run a more modern 48” deck.

And I was able to run a 60” C195 style deck as well.

The 3 point tiller can be a bit challenging to find in decent condition. And the speed of the tines makes tilling somewhat slower than some would like.

It’s my favorite model and I have tinkered with them quite a bit but for mowing, like @oldredrider, I prefer a smaller tractor, C160 8 speed for mowing as the GT14 is a bit large for my yard and not as nimble.

I saw the thread of your gt14 restoration recently.  It's a really sweet tractor you have there.  The predator is a nice added touch. I don't think the 14hp would like the 60" deck much. 

I have a c-161 I just recently put the predator in. I am considering doing a front axle swap so I can run a 60" on it.  Maybe some day.  Thing is a beast with the snowblower though.

Oh yeah, BTW. We are neighbors. 👋 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Rob R
21 hours ago, WildmanC120 said:

Thanks for pointing out the bracket. I would prefer the stock bracket or the one for independent lift.  Quick release on a 3 point does just seem a little too light duty. 

No problem Wildman thanks for the response you would have to see it connected to the tractor to understand that all the key lifting and connecting points utilize the stock brackets. I had pictures of the three point connected to the tractor but unfortunately this computer crashed so I lost them and the live video's. I will redo them in the spring.

Also I have a rear grader blade for this setup you do not have to disconnect anything with this unit the blade connects with a pin to the two inch receiver you see that I added, works great!

Edited by Rob R
  • Like 1

meadowfield
5 hours ago, Aldon said:

That is the correct bracket for the dependent style that uses the draw bar over transmission tunnel. Basically it shares the cylinder that lifts the deck or blade implements.

The independent set up is slightly different I believe. That allows a separate second cylinder that allows independent use.

You are correct, my other GT14 has the independent version. Basically there is another tab on the left close to where the lower arm goes that the cylinder connects to.

• Like 3

WildmanC120

OK...The moment we have all been waiting for!!!!!  Here it is the GT14 I was hoping to get when I started this thread.  Its in OK condition.  Will need some work and some small things fixed.  It runs and drives although I have not driven it yet myself.  Turns out when I arrived if was a kid selling it (10-13 yo) in that range.  He drove it right up on the trailer for me.  

Probably one of the coolest things about the tractor is it stayed local.  Came from a small local shop named All Seasons Equipment in Scotia NY.  I picked up the tractor literally only a few miles from that dealer. 

About the only thing concerning to me is the oil leak on the rear end.  It does look like it is coming from the top/fill area so may not be an issue.  

IMG_20181219_163854.jpg

IMG_20181219_163903.jpg

IMG_20181219_163925.jpg

IMG_20181219_163942.jpg

IMG_20181219_163953.jpg

IMG_20181219_164019.jpg

IMG_20181219_164331.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 3

953 nut

Very nice!     :text-coolphotos:       It is a 1971 and after a good bath you can get a better idea of the fluid situation.       :woohoo:

Aldon
On 12/18/2018 at 1:15 PM, WildmanC120 said:

I saw the thread of your gt14 restoration recently.  It's a really sweet tractor you have there.  The predator is a nice added touch. I don't think the 14hp would like the 60" deck much. 

I have a c-161 I just recently put the predator in. I am considering doing a front axle swap so I can run a 60" on it.  Maybe some day.  Thing is a beast with the snowblower though.

Oh yeah, BTW. We are neighbors. 👋 

Maybe you can drop by in spring and we can talk tractors.

• Like 1

Herder

Very nice. With a little time and some MONEY you will have a really great tractor.  I been searching for a while for the right GT.  Still in search of.

19richie66

Good looking specimen there. I agree that a good bath will do wonders. I wonder if the transmission is overfilled. I had a transmission that when sat out in the sun, the fluid would come out from the dipstick cap. It was way overfilled. Strange but true👍

WildmanC120

Thanks guys.  maybe if the weather is decent tomorrow I'll take it over to the car wash and give it a spray down before I put it away in my storage unit. .  Not sure I will do anything with it until spring as its too cold to work outside. Plus my C-161 I use for snow removal is tucked away in my shed.  I cant wait to get outta this place and get a real house and real garage this next year.  

WildmanC120
30 minutes ago, Aldon said:

Maybe you can drop by in spring and we can talk tractors.

Sounds like a good plan.  Are you still in semi conductor?  Maybe work outta Malta?

Aldon
Just now, WildmanC120 said:

Sounds like a good plan.  Are you still in semi conductor?  Maybe work outta Malta?

Yes. Still is semiconductor. Cover the whole US in addition to Malta. Live in Corinth.

• Excellent 1

WildmanC120
2 minutes ago, Aldon said:

Yes. Still is semiconductor. Cover the whole US in addition to Malta. Live in Corinth.

I live in Moreau. Work for GF in the Fab. 

• Excellent 1

Sarge

Clean off the area around the dipstick and pull it out. There is a breather vent that runs through the handle on that stick - if plugged, it can cause leaks and I've seen quite a few plugged. On models with those larger cylinders for the hydraulic lift, if there is any slight leakage in the cylinder, hoses or fittings that fluid can run back into the case and overfill it - causing the same problem. 

Sarge

• Like 1

WildmanC120

Went outside earlier to take the GT14 off the trailer and bring it out back.  Went to start it and battery was dead.  I was expecting that since it was jumped yesterday.  I open the hood to find this gem of a battery connection haha.

It fired right up and the engine sounds pretty good.  Shame it has a healthy haze of oil coming from the exhaust.  Guess I will just have to rebuild it or replace with a 16hp.  I would prefer the 16hp option.

I didn't really get to test the hydro today.  The lift works so that's a plus.  It does drive under its own power but I couldn't run it much above idle since one you disconnect the jumper cables it spits and spudders due to the battery situation.  It probably wont be until about April now till I get to work on it.  Just too cold around here till then unfortunately. 

I forgot to mention before, but it came with this plow. I am unsure if its the right one for it though.  

IMG_20181220_141223.jpg

IMG_20181220_145850.jpg

IMG_20181220_145902.jpg

• Like 1

19richie66

If the plow fits, it’s the right one 😂. Good that it will start and run on its own. I put a 16hp in mine also. 

953 nut
2 hours ago, WildmanC120 said:

It does drive under its own power but I couldn't run it much above idle since one you disconnect the jumper cables it spits and spudders due to the battery situation.

Do you know if the ignition system has been changed over to a battery ignition? The factory installed ignition was not dependent on the battery.

WildmanC120
1 minute ago, 953 nut said:

Do you know if the ignition system has been changed over to a battery ignition? The factory installed ignition was not dependent on the battery.

You will have to explain farther.  I'm not too familiar with these yet.  

All I know is that I re zip tied the thermals so at least they were tight so I could get the tractor off the trailer and around back of the house.  I didn't have any bolts that fit and am gonna go get a battery.  Anyways, when the jumper cables were on the engine ran nice and smooth as it should.  When the cables were removed the rpm went down and it seemed to hunt up and down the rpm range.  

• Like 2

Aldon

The terminals on the ends of the cables match the ones commonly found on lawn and tractor batteries.

That system looks like it’s a points system. From limited side view.

• Like 1

953 nut
1 hour ago, WildmanC120 said:

I didn't have any bolts that fit

A couple of 1/4-20 bolts about 3/4" long and a couple nuts will do the trick, any hardware store will have them.

Pages 74 and 75 of this manual will show you the two types of ignition

WildmanC120
4 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

A couple of 1/4-20 bolts about 3/4" long and a couple nuts will do the trick, any hardware store will have them.

Pages 74 and 75 of this manual will show you the two types of ignition

That I understand and I do have.  The terminals on this tiny battery were not typical posts.  I will get some correct bolts when I get a battery for this soon. 

• Like 1