Al C.

Where would you put your money?

Blackhood Bill

Also could this be a first black hood ?should that answer be yes then why not the bigger :wh: !!!!!

• Like 1

Al C.

Was a Koehler single cylinder engine ever original to the C175?  TractorData.Com indicates only the twin Koehler engine as original equipment.  

03ADD971-31AF-41D2-83E0-7269C2F76CA8.png

90251194-C99E-40BB-8933-C4D996591126.png

• Confused 1

953 nut
13 minutes ago, Al C. said:

C175?  TractorData.Com indicates only the twin Koehler engine as original equipment.

Kohler twin only!    There were no 17 HP singles.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Stormin

C-195 with 3-point would be my choice.:handgestures-thumbup:

• Like 2

Pullstart

I’d got for the C-195 also, and look to do that GT-14 fender mod that someone here recently posted.  But I don’t have experience with any of these models...

• Like 1

AMC RULES

As long as storage space isn't an issue...that C-175 is a much larger animal than the other two.

Thought I've read they have limitations on the attachments they are set up to accept as well. :eusa-think:

Sarge

I'd love to have the C-195, but....

It's still based on the old angle iron frame - which, to me is a weak point. Compared to the D, that frame when used with a 3pt hitch is going to be weaker than the D series by far. Not to mention the same transmission used in other models, just longer axles. This rears it's ugly head on the D series since those longer axles can exert a lot more pressure on the axle bearings. Yeah, still built WH tough and will outlast most GT models out there, but when push comes to shove, breakage can/will occur. If they had used a much heavier frame design on the C-195 as they did with the D series, it would have been a clear winner. 

I'd still like to own one, don't get me wrong - but I work all of my tractors and work them pretty hard at times.

Sarge

PeacemakerJack

@Al C. the heart of the decision really depends on what you want to do with the machine.  All are really capable tractors, Sundstrand hydros in the two blackhoods and an Eaton 1100 in the 520.  We could argue all day about the Kohler vs Onan but both engines have their pros and cons.  If in good running order either would serve you well.  You mentioned about adding to your collection...are you looking to use the tractor for a specific purpose or just own it because you can?  All three are solid working tractors as proven by the members of this site that use their model you have listed.  However, from a purely collectible standpoint...the Super C stands taller than the other two.

41219F34-5FF0-4362-99AB-2DE8A32C2D75.jpeg.a63fd8af62261baa1ebb8b1fad6a017a.jpeg

I’ve read on here that of the three production years, they only made about 6-700 of them.  The fact that they are rare makes them collectible and they have some unique features for sure like dual hydraulics, optional rear PTO and three point.  One thing to contemplate though if you don’t have much storage space...they are BIG garden tractors.  

924D20D7-025D-4A57-89CC-CBD668D1D0C6.jpeg.cd07d833833c53d049b36b969ff4b035.jpeg

There is a reason why we lovingly call them Supers! 

The 520HC is an elusive workhorse model with much more readily available attachments than the Super C.  If you plan to work it regularly I would lean to the HC. It, as was mentioned above, has a simpler design than the regular 520’s without all the extras and includes faster gearing in the rear.  @Coulter Caleb has the 418C which is the predecessor to the 520HC.  It is fast and stout-great working horse.

407F4175-4081-4B0C-B8E7-A62785788CD2.jpeg.9d115bbbb99aa7e40ff187b6190bab88.jpeg

We have used it for a variety of tasks and it is up to it!

We will see what the future brings as far as collectibility on the 520HC.

The 175 is a solid tractor for sure but depending on your part of the country should be much more available than the other two.  If your heart is set on it, I would watch for one with a better price point or offer the seller less.  

My Vote: Super C

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

Super-C 4 me

I stuffed my own stocking about a month ago.

I to like the Super C also

c195.jpg

• Excellent 2

19richie66
1 hour ago, bmiller0457 said:

c195.jpg

With the way your collection is growing, you better get a bigger stocking :laughing-rolling:

• Haha 3

Al C.

Thanks for your viewpoints on these three models!   I’m leaning towards the 520HC.  Now the next question.  My garage is full and I won’t consider leaving a Wheel Horse exposed to the elements.  So my question, is a covered shed on a 2x6 framed platform sufficient to adequately protect a tractor from the elements (no temp control, no dehumidification - northern Ohio)?

PeacemakerJack

I’m sure there will be a variety of opinions on this one but as long as the tractor is out of the sun, rain, snow...it will stay in great shape and be functional for many years.  Watch out for mice though...those buggers like to get into anything that is stationary for more than a few days if it affords them shelter.  Just keep the appropriate mice defense mechanisms in place in your shed space.  The 520HC will be a strong worker for you, I have no doubt!

2 hours ago, bmiller0457 said:

c195.jpg

Saaaaweeet!:handgestures-thumbup:

• Thanks 1

Maxwell-8
10 minutes ago, HezzilFac said:

I want to ask you which tractor I should take first. I've recently started to get into them, and I want to take something for the soul

:text-welcomeconfetti:

Maybe make a different  topic, we will be glad to help!

Edited by Maxwell-8

kpinnc

Just my opinion-

C-195. No question, if "unique model" has any effect on your decision. 3 point and a PTO? Heck yeah!

If you're looking for a worker, 520-HC. But that Onan requires some special considerations. At least my 520-H does, and I have two P220 parts engines just in case.

• Like 1

Ahead of the Curve

We just added our 6th 520-H to the fleet. For snow blowing , snow plowing, rototilling, & swinging around that big 60" deck among other tasks.  I can't beat the feeling and sound of the 20 hp Onan or Magnum Kohler when they get down to business. Truly the 400 / 500 series have my heart and back in mind when it comes to working. I can still function after I get off the tractors. 

No matter what you get you can't beat the heads turning for a double take when you doing your yard / farm work on a Red Wheel Horse. 

IMG_20210530_141501668.jpg

frontDONE.jpg.4a9129e628c73b104b85e7e8356f928a.jpg

• Excellent 2

WHX??
49 minutes ago, Ahead of the Curve said:

added our 6th 520-H

Sixth !!?!? Oh my!!! Beats my 3 of a kind! 

Someone say Super C with a three point and rear pto??? :lol:

20200622_165114.jpg

• Excellent 2

953 nut
4 hours ago, Ahead of the Curve said:

have my heart and back in mind when it comes to working. I can still function after I get off the tractors.

:text-yeahthat:      No doubt about it, the most therapeutic remedy for a bad back is some quality seat time.             :woohoo:

• Haha 2