Al C.

Where would you put your money?

Al C.

Wheel Horse 520HC, C195 with 3pt pto, or C175 Automatic - equal hours and similar condition asking between $1,200 and $1,800.  I’m thinking of adding another Wheel Horse to my collection.  I’d restore it and use it lightly.  I already have a 1967 1067 and a 1982 SK-486.  I’m thinking the C175 might be the best option because of similarity of engines and design to my other tractors.  But, the 520HC and C195 are tempting.  I’m interested in other viewpoints before I dive into this one.  

• Like 1

WVHillbilly520H

Of course my initial reaction would go 520HC, fastest 520 with less gauges being a commercial unit, but the C195 with an opposed twin Kohler and 3 pt hitch would be a sweet edition and engine wise pretty much the same as the C175...just my musings, Jeff.

• Like 8

The Tuul Crib
17 minutes ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

Of course my initial reaction would go 520HC, fastest 520 with less gauges being a commercial unit, but the C195 with an opposed twin Kohler and 3 pt hitch would be a sweet edition and engine wise pretty much the same as the C175...just my musings, Jeff.

That's a tough decision but this being the case the three point hitch JMO to me would be the way to go. The attachments to hook up would be more than conventional. Maybe more attachments?

• Like 4

LengerichKA88

The 520HC is the more elusive of the three isnt it?

Other than rarity or usability, I would suggest  one of two things: 1) Go with the one that catches your eye the most, or 2) Go with the one priced the lowest, then you have more to cash to roll into your protect from the get. 

Thats how I would go about it🤷🏻‍♂️:twocents-02cents:

• Like 3

SPINJIM

A few important questions:

Does the 520HC have the gear reduction steering?   That's a great feature, and makes it easier to use heavy accessories like a snow blower.

Are the either of the Kohler twins series II engines with the oil pressure through the crank shaft?  Probably not.  Then it depends how they were used.     If they were used on level ground, and oil changed regularly, then they should should be okay.

How many hours on each one?   The price range seems a little high for the C-175 and 195, unless they are in really excellent condition.

If the 520HC has gear reduction steering, and reasonable hours, that would be my choice.

Edited by SPINJIM
  • Like 1

953 nut

If Santa was bringing me a stocking stuffer and those were the choices I would ask for the Super C, C-195.

• Like 7
  • Excellent 1
  • Heart 1

19richie66

Super C for me. :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 4

LengerichKA88
1 hour ago, 953 nut said:

If Santa was bringing me a stocking stuffer and those were the choices I would ask for the Super C, C-195.

Where do you buy your stockings??😂

• Haha 8

ebinmaine

I'd have to put in another vote for the Super C.

Big tires. That's kind of cool. But the 3 point hitch... Yeah well... It's a three point hitch. I mean really. You gotta have a three point hitch. I don't. I wish I did.

• Like 8

Chris G

All 3 are nice machines. But I would vote for the 3 point hitch as well.

• Like 1

WVHillbilly520H

The super C is basically a big D built more along lines of the classic long frames ah but then again I'm still a 520 fan through and through with those torquey Onans.

• Like 1

Shynon
2 hours ago, 953 nut said:

:text-yeahthat:

• Like 1

RandyLittrell

One more for the Super C!!!

Randy

ericj
49 minutes ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

The super C is basically a big D built more along lines of the classic long frames ah but then again I'm still a 520 fan through and through with those torquey Onans.

A super C with a P224 24 HP onan on it. :hide: Me and my buddy talked about it but ti wouldn't fit on a 520, deeper oil pan and longer bore, may be to long for the hood. The C195 should have more then enough clearance for it to work though 

eric j

• Excellent 1

WildmanC120

The C-195 is the only one I feel really worth the money.  The 3 point and rear PTO make it pretty useful.  The C-175 is nice but I wouldn't really spend money on it knowing I could get a 520 that's newer and IMO a better unit.  Not saying the 175 is bad but I just feel the 520 with the swept axle and gear reduction steering is a better option for similar money. 

Honestly as much as we all love wheel horse, a JD 318 or similar is probably the best buy. For the same $1,500ish bucks you get 3 point, rear pto, 18hp onan, front hydro remotes, turning brakes, power steering.  

• Confused 1

ebinmaine
4 minutes ago, WildmanC120 said:

The C-195 is the only one I feel really worth the money.  The 3 point and rear PTO make it pretty useful.  The C-175 is nice but I wouldn't really spend money on it knowing I could get a 520 that's newer and IMO a better unit.  Not saying the 175 is bad but I just feel the 520 with the swept axle and gear reduction steering is a better option for similar money. 

Honestly as much as we all love wheel horse, a JD 318 or similar is probably the best buy. For the same $1,500ish bucks you get 3 point, rear pto, 18hp onan, front hydro remotes, turning brakes, power steering.  

No thanks.....

Nothing (that shade) green...

I'd fix a herd of Horses all day before I own a single  deeeeeeeerr

• Haha 3

ericj

:text-yeahthat: No Deere for me unless it has horns on it and I can eat some meat from it  :ROTF:

I hate to throw cold water on this, but a 520-HC doesn't  have the gear reduction steering. That wasn't used until 91. A 520-HC was made between 88 and 89

eric j

• Like 5

SPINJIM
15 minutes ago, ericj said:

a 520-HC doesn't  have the gear reduction steering. That wasn't used until 91. A 520-HC was made between 88 and 89

"I DIDN'T KNOW THAT".   In that case, I'd switch my choice to the big wheeled, black hood C195, if the hours are reasonable and engine sounds good.

Thanks Eric for the education.

Jim

• Like 2

19richie66
3 hours ago, 19richie66 said:

Super C for me. :handgestures-thumbupright:

I would like to retract this statement. I have no money to throw at anything. I have kids. :laughing-rolling:

• Haha 5

953 nut
19 minutes ago, 19richie66 said:

I would like to retract this statement. I have no money to throw at anything. I have kids. :laughing-rolling:

It isn't your money we are spending, it is much more fun to spend @Al C.s money.               :ychain:

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

wallfish
55 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

It isn't your money we are spending, it is much more fun to spend @Al C.s money.   

Oh, OK then buy all three!

C-195

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

19richie66

Well then, give me a C195 with a side order of 520hc.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 4

WHX??

Super C for me...only cause I'm heavy on 520's ..some one say 3 point?!?!

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

Adams94

C195!  Love mine and dad has had one since around 1990! And I only wish I had rear pto. Three point is a great tool. Although implements aren't cheap for category 0

IMG_0630.JPG

IMG_1045.JPG

IMG_1316.JPG

• Like 1
  • Excellent 5