Jay Wellwood

How to ID a Suburban Transmission/Rear End

Jay Wellwood

I've run across a an advertised Transmission/Rear End for a Suburban which I'm seriously thinking about buying.

Since I'm green as a gourd here, hoping someone will chime in on how to make sure I'm buying the real McCoy instead of another model. Is there a model number or some other unique ID that I should be looking for?  I've asked seller for some additional pictures - is there something the brain trust here would I request a photo of to better equip yours truly with the information I need to make a smart purchase?

Thanks in advance-

Achto

The transmissions for 58, 59 RJ's & early Suburban's had a three piece case. Cast iron centers with steel plates on each side. In '61 they came out with the 2 piece all cast case, I'm not sure on the ID/casting numbers on those. Maybe @stevasaurus could help out with that.

A picture of a 3 piece from a '60 Suburban.

568b35c8ebf67_horsetranny.jpg.009594b530c987416e5ba1637a6b3493.jpg

Edited by Achto
  • Like 4
  • Excellent 1

WHX??

:text-yeahthat:The only 'Burb with a two piece case was the 551 electric start model. anything else will  be the three piece mentioned above and will be a 5003 or a 5010. the only way to tell the diff between those two is a 5010 will have the brake band mount cast in at a 45 deg. angle. The 5003 (used on early RJ's) brake band mount will be cast strait. Steve will be along with possible casting marks you may want to look for.

If you get those pics post them and we can nail it down for you. As many as these transmissions where made they are starting to become scarce so looking to score even for just parts is a good idea in this hobby.

• Like 1

stevasaurus

Jay, it would be easier if we new exactly which horse you have.  :confusion-confused:  Some of the information given above is not totally correct.

The 1958 & 1959 RJs used the 3 piece #5003 transmission...the mount for the brake band is vertical on the left side plate.

2010_10075003transmission0019.JPG

The 1960 400 &550 suburbans and the 1961 401 suburban used the 3 piece #5010 transmission.  The brake band mount is at a 45 degree angle.

2013_0522f0005.JPG

The 1961 551 & 701 suburbans used the 2 piece #5007 transmission...

2011_12025007BRRLY0016.JPG

While casting dates may give you an idea of what trans you have, it is not a good idea to trust the date for a certain horse.  anyone can just change the left side plate and you go from a #5003 to a #5010 or vise/versa.  The #5007 and the #5025 are identical to the untrained eye.  Let us know what horse you have.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 2
  • Excellent 5

AMC RULES

:rolleyes: Nice post Dino. :clap:

• Like 2

Jay Wellwood

An excellent point stevasaurus - the seller indicated it came from a 1960 400.  The picture he posted matches the photo shown above for the same year/model.  The pics were extremely helpful - many thanks guys!

It'll be mine shortly and I'll have this as my 'first piece'.  

Guess that seals the deal - I'm probably a goner now...

Edited by Jay Wellwood
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Jay Wellwood

Rear End - 1.jpg

Rear End.jpg

• Like 4

953 nut

:text-coolphotos:              Have you found a Suburban or are you planning to build it from the rear end forward?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

stevasaurus

That is a #5010 and what would go to a 400.  Excellent!!!   Nice transmission.  Let us know if you are going to open it and clean it out.  I would clean it...see what is in there.  Plenty of help and videos here .  To drain the trans, take out one of the bottom side bolts...no drain plug on the bottom.  Poke an Allen wrench in the hole if nothing comes out...probably gunk blocking the hole.  :occasion-xmas:

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

clueless

Biggest question, why do you want to buy it :scratchead:.

Jay Wellwood
On 12/11/2018 at 4:31 PM, 953 nut said:

:text-coolphotos:              Have you found a Suburban or are you planning to build it from the rear end forward?

Found another model that this may not be compatible with, but given the fact that I'm known in certain circles as 1) a parts hoarder (according to SWMBO), and 2) a constant planner - figured this couldn't hurt taking up space in my shop if it turns out it doesn't fit on the tractor I'm trying to work a deal on that has a locked rear end.

Time will tell...but I'm leaning toward a basket case build - if I can find the engine I want, then the rest will fall into place I think. 

Looking for the Tecumseh HT55C engine now...any good leads?  :cool:

Edited by Jay Wellwood
Add build a 'burb detail
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 2

Jay Wellwood
3 hours ago, clueless said:

Biggest question, why do you want to buy it :scratchead:.

See previous reply. :cool:

• Haha 2

Racinbob

Nice find. Are those grease zerks installed on top of the axle tubes? :eusa-think:

• Confused 1

The Tuul Crib

So exactly what year did WH go to the different two piece case?

Racinbob

In 1961. The 401 had the 3 piece and the 551 and 701 had the 2 piece. :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

WHX??
2 hours ago, Racinbob said:

zerks installed on top of the axle tubes?

Saw that too Bob... interesting! Tried to zoom in to see if that what they are, sure looks like it. If indeed they are we know someone's been in there before.

What's your :twocents-02cents: on doing that mod?

Edited by WHX21
  • Like 1

WHX??
13 hours ago, Jay Wellwood said:

a parts hoarder

Like I said before being a parts hoarder on these trannys is not a bad idea. Something a SWMBO will never quite get! :lol:

Edited by WHX21
  • Haha 1

Racinbob
5 hours ago, WHX21 said:

Saw that too Bob... interesting! Tried to zoom in to see if that what they are, sure looks like it. If indeed they are we know someone's been in there before.

What's your :twocents-02cents: on doing that mod?

Don't like it. :handgestures-thumbdown:

Grease isn't needed there and could cause issues with the oil getting to the outer bushings. It may not cause a problem but it certainly isn't doing any good. Easy enough to plug. :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

WHX??

Kinda my thoughts as well Bob. I'm thinkin that Elmer was thinkin keep the 80/90 at the proper level not needed? :) Course he never thought 60 years later we would be trying to save these things!

Gotta like the the way the PO at least put them on the topside to keep a stump from clipping them off.

Edited by WHX21