Holly

312-8 Koehler engine

Holly

Just a simple question. I recently purchased a  312-8 wheelhorse that's in great condition. Someone told me that these engines cannot be rebuilt. Is that true and if so is it because of parts or what? Not that I will need,to do that but just curious. Thanks

Shynon

Yes they can be rebuilt

• Like 1

oldredrider

Cast iron Kohler engines can be rebuilt many times. Unless the block is severely cracked or broken, it can be done easily.

• Like 3

Elkskin's mower junkyard

Block has hole? No problem. This ain't a joke I pieced together a 7hp Briggs from parts from junk engines and used this to seal a huge hole in block from rod. No leaks engine ran great had tons of power

20181206_184900.jpg

• Like 4

oldredrider

It can be done! Just not easily. I have rebuilt a k series with a major hole in the block and was bored to the limit. Used it just this weekend and performed flawlessly. 

• Like 5

ebinmaine
7 hours ago, Holly said:

Just a simple question. I recently purchased a  312-8 wheelhorse that's in great condition. Someone told me that these engines cannot be rebuilt. Is that true and if so is it because of parts or what? Not that I will need,to do that but just curious. Thanks

Whomever told you that is VERY mistaken.

Parts availability is excellent.

There are many machine shops all around the country to do the machine work on the block.

Manuals are available right on this website.

Vast knowledge is as well.

I have no idea why one would think that...

• Like 1

KC9KAS

@Holly :text-welcomeconfetti: to :rs:

• Like 1

SylvanLakeWH

:text-welcomeconfetti:

Did mine (10 HP) couple years back...runs like a champ!

:twocents-02cents:

• Like 1

Holly
1 hour ago, ebinmaine said:

Whomever told you that is VERY mistaken.

Parts availability is excellent.

There are many machine shops all around the country to do the machine work on the block.

Manuals are available right on this website.

Vast knowledge is as well.

I have no idea why one would think that...

I was really wondering why it couldn't be done. I couldn't see why not.Thanks

• Thanks 1

953 nut

:WRS:

As others have said, with proper maintenance Kohler engines will deliver outstanding performance and are able to be rebuilt if needed. I have attached a service manual for the "K Series" which is the same as your Magnum with the exception of the ignition.

• Like 2

ebinmaine
24 minutes ago, Holly said:

I was really wondering why it couldn't be done. I couldn't see why not.Thanks

I guess what it comes down to is that ANY thing mechanical can be done with the right amount of money and other resources.

There are some things that are just not worth we doing to a lot of people. For instance the late model engines...if the carburetor goes bad it's easier and less expensive to replace the entire carburetor than it is to try to repair it. I'm having that very issue on a fairly new generator right now.

There are also far too many people in the world right now that believe it is easier to throw away your old junk and buy something else. In the end, that almost always comes around to bite you because you should have kept the old item and rebuilt it.

I'm wondering if the person that gave you your information about Kohler engines may have been thinking along that line...

• Like 2

The Tuul Crib

:text-welcomeconfetti:to :rs:

:wwp:

• Like 1

Holly

The engine I have is the Kohle r Command pro series 12.5. Would that make a diff. Over a mag engine

Edited by Holly

Holly
13 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

I guess what it comes down to is that ANY thing mechanical can be done with the right amount of money and other resources.

There are some things that are just not worth we doing to a lot of people. For instance the late model engines...if the carburetor goes bad it's easier and less expensive to replace the entire carburetor than it is to try to repair it. I'm having that very issue on a fairly new generator right now.

There are also far too many people in the world right now that believe it is easier to throw away your old junk and buy something else. In the end, that almost always comes around to bite you because you should have kept the old item and rebuilt it.

I'm wondering if the person that gave you your information about Kohler engines may have been thinking along that line...

I have the Kohle r Command pro 12.5 not the magnum

ebinmaine
23 minutes ago, Holly said:

I have the Kohle r Command pro 12.5 not the magnum

There are certainly many many others on this website that know far far more about Wheelhorses than I do but to the best of my knowledge any Kohler engine from any Wheelhorse of any model is rebuildable.

• Like 2

Holly
27 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

There are certainly many many others on this website that know far far more about Wheelhorses than I do but to the best of my knowledge any Kohler engine from any Wheelhorse of any model is rebuildable.

Good to hear.

ebinmaine

Actually while we're kind of on the subject in a remote sort of way. There's really nothing on a Wheelhorse tractor you can't get a hold of. Websites like this one and Salvage Yards like A - Z and many other connections....

• Like 2

gwest_ca

Garry

Daddy Don

:text-welcomeconfetti:

• Like 1

oliver2-44

While the Kohler Command Pro is slightly more complicated to rebuitd than the K series kohlers, it is very do able.

• Like 1

Holly
2 hours ago, oliver2-44 said:

While the Kohler Command Pro is slightly more complicated to rebuitd than the K series kohlers, it is very do able.

Great!

Holly

Just want to tell everyone that got back to me on my question,thanks alot. This forum is a very very good and informative site. I am so glad I found Red Square!

• Like 1
  • Excellent 3

dells68

@Holly, don’t be afraid of these tractors.  Every part is serviceable and parts are readily available, both new and used.  There are several members on here that are excellent engine rebuilders, @oldredrider Is relatively close to me and really knows his stuff, especially Kohlers.  I say use it and know that normal wear and tear is fixable at far less than a big box store disposable tractor and Wheel Horses are well thought out dependable machines!  Enjoy.

• Like 3

Lee1977

What is wrong with your engine?  Cost for parts will be more than the older cast iron engine as a compete engine rebuild kit can be bought around $100 to $120 with using after market parts. I'm just checking as you haven't told us anything about the engine.

Holly
5 hours ago, Lee1977 said:

What is wrong with your engine?  Cost for parts will be more than the older cast iron engine as a compete engine rebuild kit can be bought around $100 to $120 with using after market parts. I'm just checking as you haven't told us anything about the engine.

I guess I should clarify my post. My engine is in good shape. I just purchased the tractor and afterwards a guy said to me about the engine not being rebuildable. I was just asking if he was correct. Thanks

• Excellent 1