Jay Wellwood

Where to start? Looking for your candid feedback.

Jay Wellwood

So here I am, trying to make a reasonable decision on the best WH for my needs.

I'm drawn to the early models (<'65) based on the appearance (633/704/Suburban - split rear fender look).  Really find the look very desirable compared to the mid and later models.  The mid models (D-160. !8, 800 Commando), appear to be more brutish while the later models are more 'riding mower' instead of tractor looking IMHO.

Regarding options, I'd really like an electric start, front blade, reel mower, push blade (cultivator?).   Tractor will be used to tame this lot me and the Missus claim (1/2 acre) for some future projects (leveling terrain) as well as move my project cars during different phases of their collective restoration efforts.

Thanks in advance for you response.

Oops, looks like this post should have gone into the general Tractor area.  My apologies.

Edited by Jay Wellwood

Jay Wellwood

• Like 1

953 nut

:WRS:

Jay, what Nuc. Plant do you work at? I was an operator with FPL and haven't seen the Cherenkov Effect in years!   Refiling is soooo tedious.   :text-offtopic:

With the tasks you intend to perform on a half acre of ground there should be no problem getting the job done with any :wh:. The implements for the early models can be harder to find and a bit more costly, but they are out there. I have always felt that you need to pick the :wh: model the appeals to you , not what another person tells you is best. The smaller RJ and Suburbans will take a little longer to accomplish the task at hand, but can get the job done,   bonus, you get more seat time!              :woohoo:

• Like 1

Dan693

You might think about a 953 or 1054. Both are old school but have a little more weight than the smaller models and a hydraulic lift. Just bought a running 1054 for 200 bucks.

• Like 1

SylvanLakeWH

:text-yeahthat:

and :text-welcomeconfetti:

rjg854

:WRS: and thank you for your service to our Country.

I trust you'l find what you are looking for.

• Like 1

Retired Wrencher

Jay  :WRS:   like said above. It is up to you. What moves you. I can say that the older models are a bit easier to work on compared to the newer models. They are simple in design but made to last multiple life times as long they are taken care of. Down load manuals to help you out. Enjoy!!!  what ever you decide. 

DennisThornton

Here's 2 rules to get you started.

1. Buy the next one you see. 

2. REPEAT rule one

Well, be frugal of course, but honesty, while there are bargains and even steals its rare to find a Wheel Horse that's not at least good deal.  When compare to OTHER brands, new and old!  

Attachments are a bigger issue so maybe only look for those first, preferably attached!  And then left that way!  Plan on having several ready to work "attachments".  I don't have many tractors, but rather a working mower, blower, dozer, dirt plow, chipper and so on...   All tools that just happen to have tractors attached to them.  And all of them were at least bargains!  Just took some time. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

953 nut
1 hour ago, Dan693 said:

Just bought a running 1054 for 200 bucks.

:wwp:

rjg854

Others may chime in on attachments for the 1054 or the 953, but I would say it would be harder to find attachments for those tractors. :unsure:

• Like 1

Pullstart

The one you find is the best bet...  how many do you find for sale in GA?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Jay Wellwood
3 hours ago, 953 nut said:

:WRS:

Jay, what Nuc. Plant do you work at? I was an operator with FPL and haven't seen the Cherenkov Effect in years!   Refiling is soooo tedious.   :text-offtopic:

With the tasks you intend to perform on a half acre of ground there should be no problem getting the job done with any :wh:. The implements for the early models can be harder to find and a bit more costly, but they are out there. I have always felt that you need to pick the :wh: model the appeals to you , not what another person tells you is best. The smaller RJ and Suburbans will take a little longer to accomplish the task at hand, but can get the job done,   bonus, you get more seat time!              :woohoo:

I cut my teeth on Commercial Nuclear Power at ANO - Unit 2.  I went through the pipeline to Licensed Operator and then transitioned to spent fuel management. where now I'm the Operations Manager for a company that specializes in storage and transportation of spent nuclear fuel with customers world wide.

You must have been at either St Lucie or Turkey Point then? 

Edited by Jay Wellwood

LengerichKA88

im partial to the mid60s-mid70s models. Don’t get me wrong, if a round hood popped up for sale in my budget, I’d grab it in a second.

theres also no rule saying you have to have one tractor to do all the work, you’re allowed to diversify haha. 

Is the misses going to be using it as well? My wife wasn’t too interested in em until she got on our Charger 10, because she didn’t need to worry about shifting. 

Also,:text-welcomeconfetti:

• Like 2

The Tuul Crib

:text-welcomeconfetti: :happy-bouncyred: :wwp:

Ed Kennell

:text-welcomeconfetti: to the :rs: Jay.

IMO,  The Cs, 300s, 400s and 520s  are the easiest to find implements for and most of them are interchangeable.

The 8, 10, and 12 HP Kohlers in the Cs are fuel sippers.  If a snow blower, tiller, or 48" deck is in your future, I would opt for a 14 or 16 HP single or any of the twins available in the 400s and 520s.

PS  I would only buy a hydro with hydraulic lift and foot pedal motion control.

Edited by Ed Kennell
  • Like 3

953 nut
1 hour ago, Jay Wellwood said:

must have been at either St Lucie or Turkey Point then?

Both, I started my career at Turkey Point Nuclear then moved north (much nicer area) and retire from St Lucie plant about thirteen years ago. I understand they are doing some on site dry storage of spent fuel now.

Getting back to the desired equipment for your :wh:, if you want a reel mower there are a limited amount of choices. The pull behind gang reel mowers will fit anything, but the engine driven reel mowers were basically for the '64 and earlier as you said you want.

'63 and '64 had more electric start options than the earlier years, but you could always add a starter and battery if you want. 

The Wheel Horse Collectors Club holds an all :wh: show in PA the weekend after Fathers Day. There will be a lot of members here selling tractors and equipment they could bring to the show for you to pick up. I have bought several that way and been happy with ever one of them. Members here tend to be very honest in their sales and won't "forget" to tell you of any shortcomings it may have.

• Like 1

Dan693
6 hours ago, 953 nut said:

:wwp:

s-l1600.jpg

1054.jpg

• Like 1

953 nut

Dan.jpg.e53cc9ffd12dd6ec82419922d3b6a5b9.jpg                :ychain:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

LengerichKA88
On 12/9/2018 at 2:53 PM, Dan693 said:

s-l1600.jpg

1054.jpg

Is that the one that was on EBay?!?

i messaged the guy but never heard back, if that’s the one I’m thinking of it was double listed one with a starting bid of 200 and one with a starting bid of 99¢. I was hoping it would pop back up here! Congrats.... now I know it’s not far if it comes up for sale again 😂:ychain:

Dan693

Yes on ebay. Turned out to be an old friend 3 miles away.....whats the chances?

Runs fine. Needs some TLC but should be a fine tractor.