JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Decmember 7th, lest we forget.

ebinmaine

Well said sir.

I was never in any of the service branches myself and I just want to say a big huge thank you to all of you and everybody you know that is or was.

• Like 7

The Tuul Crib

I would like to think they are teaching  about this in school about this tragic time in our history.

Edited by The Tool Crib
  • Like 6

oliver2-44

Yes we need to keep teaching this in school and remembering. Thank you to all that served. 

My dad caught the end of WWII in the security force in Germany.

My step dad joined the Merchant Marines at 16 right after Pearl Harbor.  The Merchant Marines while not true military lost more supply ships than the US Navy. They are somewhat forgot hero’s along with all the Military Veterans who are truly each hero’s

• Like 9

953 nut

I was more than a little put out that the morning news (GMA anyway) was so wrapped up in the same stories they constantly beat to death that they completely overlooked the "Day that will live in Infamy"

Image result for pearl harbor

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1
  • Sad 3

pfrederi

There was very little coverage this year. A shame on the media.    Ignore history and you are doomed to repeat it....

• Like 6
  • Sad 3

The Tuul Crib
12 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

I was more than a little put out that the morning news (GMA anyway) was so wrapped up in the same stories they constantly beat to death that they completely overlooked the "Day that will live in Infamy"

Image result for pearl harbor

:text-yeahthat:The media seems to only care about

current conflict and what they want us to hear!

God bless us all and shame on them!

I mentioned it the other day with some one younger at the doctors office because my appointment was today and she had no clue about it !  

SAD!

Edited by The Tool Crib
  • Like 3
  • Excellent 2
  • Sad 3

ebinmaine
39 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

the ........ news.  (System in general)

And people wonder why I don't have cable TV anymore.

If I wanted to know what a given person or organization or agency thought, I would ask them. I don't need them telling me what to think.

Best we can do as individuals is to keep reminding people of the things that we have experienced in the past that led to create who and what we are today.

Some were good. Some were bad.

It's absolutely fantastic and I try as hard as I can to be positive minded as often as possible. That said, the negative things in my past have certainly shaped a portion of my being.

Be forgiving. But never forget.

• Like 5
  • Excellent 2

DougC

Thanks Glenn. My father served in the army air corps in WWll. They don't make 'em like that any more. 

Thanks for posting this thread. Everyone needs to realize how special this day is and should be to those who don't understand what it means to America.

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

pfrederi

Found this today about Hollywood types who signed up after Pearl Harbor actually saw action not just to make movies...

I worked with a guy years ago who was in the army stationed in Hawaii in the late 30s (Coast defense artillery).  They drilled with wooden rifles rarely fired their big guns ..too expensive. 

https://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/celebrity/16-hollywood-stars-who-saw-real-life-combat/ss-BBQzu5s?li=BBnb7Kz

• Like 6

SylvanLakeWH

:flags-waveusa:

• Like 8

Razorback

I got to go to Hawaii during the summer after my 8th grade year in 1976. I still vividly remember the visit to the USS Arizona Memorial. Even at that “young and dumb” age, I was moved to tears by all of the names on the wall, by the enormity of that ship, the knowledge that so many were still down in that ship, and the sight of the ship still “bleeding” oil.

I will never forget the sacrifices made by so many for this country!

Edited by Razorback
  • Like 2
  • Sad 2

roadapples

My Dad was in New Guinea and the Philippines. He barely talked about it. Most of what I know came from my Mother. Must have been hell....

• Like 4
  • Sad 2

PeacemakerJack

Thank you for posting this thread!  My cousin Paul (as many of you know) is a now retired 20 year veteran of the US Navy.  He was a Riverine from 2006-12 and served two tours in the Sandbox.

F4CDEDA6-4F86-49C5-8DE8-62035489CC24.jpeg.c7703859c43d0cde005cc2b786ff23da.jpeg

His next station was at the Marine base Camp Smith just up the hill from Pearl/Hickam.  We got the opportunity to visit him in 2015, ironically only a few months after Sparky was there and posted all those great pics.  Because of Paul’s connections, he was able to get us into the 74th remembrance ceremony at Pearl Harbor seeing that we were there on December 7th, 2015.  It was very surreal to stand on the harbor opposite the USS Arizona memorial at the exact minutes 74 years later where this tragic event took place.  There were about 1500 people there for the ceremony and we ended up being only a couple of rows behind one of the living survivors of the Arizona! He must’ve been about 92 years old and yet you could see the emotion, pride, and love for America just eminating from him.  I knew at that time most of these men would be gone within a couple of years based on their old age.  It was one of my great privileges to be there in that place on such a date.  

I try my best to educate my children about the true history of the United States of America.  We have an audio dramatization of the story of Squanto and the Pilgrims that we listen to every year during Thanksgiving  week.  We often talk of the sacrifices made by so many throughout our nations history that give us the freedoms that we enjoy today.  That is why I shouldn’t be surprised when last spring, @Coulter Caleb choose to memorize and recite FDR’s Pearl Harbor speech.  In preparation for it, we spoke about the tragic event, read books about it, watched the films, and studied the Presidents actual speech.  Caleb understood the seriousness of the speech that he was giving.  He was applauded by his peers and adults alike.  

It is my sincere desire to pass along to the next generation the importance of our history.  These events shaped our nation and we must never forget the success and failure of our past! 

Thank you to all who have served!

• Like 6
  • Excellent 1

LengerichKA88

If it weren’t for those men and women, I wouldn’t have had foot steps to follow in. 

They’re not forgotten in this house. 

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

SylvanLakeWH
22 hours ago, PeacemakerJack said:

Thank you for posting this thread!  My cousin Paul (as many of you know) is a now retired 20 year veteran of the US Navy.  He was a Riverine from 2006-12 and served two tours in the Sandbox.

We often talk of the sacrifices made by so many throughout our nations history that give us the freedoms that we enjoy today.  That is why I shouldn’t be surprised when last spring, @Coulter Caleb choose to memorize and recite FDR’s Pearl Harbor speech.  In preparation for it, we spoke about the tragic event, read books about it, watched the films, and studied the Presidents actual speech.  Caleb understood the seriousness of the speech that he was giving.  He was applauded by his peers and adults alike.  

It is my sincere desire to pass along to the next generation the importance of our history.  These events shaped our nation and we must never forget the success and failure of our past! 

Thank you to all who have served!

Well Done!

You and he should be very proud - not only of his excellent speech, but of your efforts to pass on our collective history as it was - the good, the bad and the downright ugly...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Buzz

I enlisted in the Navy on December 7 1961, the 20th anniversary of the attack. We were tied up on Ford Island just aft of the Arizona the day Kennedy was shot. Solemn times at a solemn place.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1