pgenesta

SNOWBLOWER CHAIN

pgenesta

Good morning to all,

Where can I buy a replacement chain for a WH snowblower model # 06-42ST01? 

wallfish

It's common #40 roller chain.

Tractor supply sells in 10" length with an included master link or order online. Just count the links from your original chain to size the new one.

• Like 2

peter lena

go to tractor supply and get it, just match up size # 40 , they have it in 10 ft. lengths , you will need a CHAIN BREAKER  to make it fit your set up. also recommend you use  LUBRIPLATE CHAIN AND CABLE LUBRICANT ,regularly on this . use a SERATED lock washer on the side adjustment bolt , to retain your tension setting, pete

• Like 1

wallfish

You can use a chain breaker or grind off the rivet heads to separate a link for sizing the length.

#40 chain is also great for wrapping around the front tires which gives excellent lateral traction on snow and ice to improve steering

• Like 1

pgenesta

Tractor Supply it is...Thank you all for the quick response. 

• Like 1

cleat

You may need a 1/2 link as well to get the exact right length.

I needed one for the chain I just replaced on a tall chute single stage that I sold.

s-l500.jpg.e851e89a04d33caca1c132412cb05e16.jpg

Cleat

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

pgenesta

Peter,

I did not see an "adjustment bolt" on the manual that I have. Where is it located?

pfrederi

left side lower bolt (circled)  is in a slotted hole

InkedIMG_0244_LI.jpg

• Like 1

peter lena

on the  OUTSIDE  of the chain drive area, lower area of blower side , there is a recessed oblong mounting bolt point . the oblong area is your tension adjustment point, that is where I use the serrated washer, its numerous biting points will trap your setting. I too have a 42st01 , and know all its service areas.  I also turned the bolt around , so the tightening elastic nut is outside, for easy touch up. thank you ( pfrederi ) for the photo assist. any other questions ,just ask, Pete    

• Like 1

pgenesta

Great info and thank you for the picture.

"If I knew then what I know now"...I would not have ordered a new chain and a chain breaker since all it probably needed is an adjustment. But hey, now I have a spare chain and a new tool!

Cleat, thank you for the suggestion.

Thank you guys.

• Like 1

roadapples

You'll have 2 spare chain's if you buy a ten foot length...

Xearl

Go to your local store that sells chainsaw chain . They can break it to size , usually for nothing .

wallfish
1 hour ago, pgenesta said:

But hey, now I have a spare chain and a new tool!

Use it to wrap around the front tires

• Like 2

doc724
On 12/5/2018 at 9:01 AM, wallfish said:

It's common #40 roller chain.

Tractor supply sells in 10" length with an included master link or order online. Just count the links from your original chain to size the new one. 

I want to caution the original poster to make sure to follow Wallfish's advice to COUNT THE LINKS-and then make the new one with the same number of links.  DO NOT lay the old chain on the ground and cut the new one to the same length.  You will not get it on-it will be too short.  Chains stretch with use.  Seems obvious but there was a post here a while back where the chain was made to the same length as the old one and you can guess the predictable question

• Like 3

WHX??
On ‎12‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 3:29 PM, pgenesta said:

now I have a spare chain

I would consider replacing it anyway if it's had some seasons of heavy use. Worn chains wear dang near un-replaceable auger sprockets.

• Like 1