oliver2-44

Picked Up Porter Cable Tractor Basket Case Project

oliver2-44

Well with some help, I picked up this Porter Cable I had posted about, and it arrived at the barn at the farm via Pony Express  It a sight for sore eyes, but thankfully the seller didn't know what it was and had it listed as a "JD Mini Tractor" so I paid about double scrap metal price for it.  It's definitely a future project in line behind some others.  Being somewhat of a rare tractor I'll be on the lookout for parts, and appreciate anyone sending me a PM if they come across some,  This tractor appears identical to the Massey Ferguson Executive, just a different front hood. 

As you can see its missing the seat, the steering support behind the dash is gone and replaced by a home fabricated bracket, a rear hub is broken, and the hood top is riveted to the hood front.  Its stuck in gear, so I've got the transmission filled with diesel.  It has a Briggs recoil start engine and it turn over and seems to have some compression.  I would appreciate anyone good at interpreting the Briggs nameplate info 142302  502048  303313 letting me know what HP and year this engine is. The front rims appear to be the same as the RJ and Suburban.  Rear fenders were an option on the Deluxe model I've read.  @jabelman the  nameplate with serial number is missing, so you'll just have to add it to you list with my name.  The cast aluminum steering wheel is definitely got that retro 50's/60's look

1674280766_IMG_0304PCdashansteeringwheel.JPG.407af4e3ee99ac172775482b86d2ce26.JPG

2039673552_IMG_0318portercablebrokenrearhub.JPG.cb03ae8431372f2ffb8caeed6bb97c2d.JPG

833163041_IMG_0303porterCablereartransmission.JPG.db07bfbd4086d2166946b63df63ca9c8.JPG

You can just make out "Porter Cable" on the front decal

1459424569_IMG_0314portercabledecal.JPG.c0c0a36f16dc3d32aec6a3e7b210b51a.JPG

https://www.wheelhorseforum.com/topic/77786-spotted-this-old-one-what-is-it/?tab=comments#comment-753711

I spotted this one for sale, says 10 hp John Deere?"   Is it possible a Bready or Reo?

1250905234_oldgardentractor1.jpg.17b5d798d1a4268592be781d58e22c0f.jpg1234006073_oldgardentractor1.jpg.5bc9108f477a4a397352fa6e94709359.jpg

• Like 8
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine

I'll be following along here.

Lots of work ahead and looks like a fantastic project.

Glad you got ahold of this one.

953 nut
3 hours ago, oliver2-44 said:

It's definitely a future project in line behind some others.

:text-yeahthat:        I think most of us have a few "Future Projects" to look forward to.     :text-coolphotos:    Just hope we have enough future!     :ychain:

• Like 4

new2horses

PM sent.

WHNJ701

any info or help you need feel free to contact me, the engine is 5 3/4hp

Chris G

I had one of them awhile back.  Never found out the exact truth or history of this, but at a local tractor show a old timer told me that the foot rest on the porter cable tractors and the early moto mowers. We're actually airplane foot pedals for rudder control or something along those lines. He said the company purchased a mass lot of them which were left over from plane building efforts during the war. I know I thought that was pretty interesting, but I never found out a exact answer on the truth of that. 

• Like 1

Chris G

These are not the best pics. But I looked at this porter cable and moto mower this year. 

0819181443-00.jpg

0819181531-00.jpg

• Like 1

WHNJ701
On 12/4/2018 at 11:39 PM, Chris G said:

I had one of them awhile back.  Never found out the exact truth or history of this, but at a local tractor show a old timer told me that the foot rest on the porter cable tractors and the early moto mowers. We're actually airplane foot pedals for rudder control or something along those lines. He said the company purchased a mass lot of them which were left over from plane building efforts during the war. I know I thought that was pretty interesting, but I never found out a exact answer on the truth of that. 

that's interesting I know there are part numbers on the pedals, my only thought would be that typically by that era of flight most airplane parts including rudder pedals were cast aluminum to save weight.

• Like 1

Bayberry

I've got one of these for sale along with a complete plow, substantially complete snow-blower, and for-parts mower deck.  PM me if interested.

IMG_1596.JPEG

IMG_1597.JPEG

IMG_1607.JPEG

IMG_1598.JPEG

IMG_1617.JPEG

IMG_1619.JPEG

IMG_1611.JPEG

IMG_1594.JPEG

IMG_1591.JPEG

Edited by Bayberry
  • Excellent 2