WheelHorse314-8

just purchased a 1999 314-8

roadapples

I have a '94 520. The paint under the tail lights is a different shade but looks brand new...:handgestures-thumbupright:

ZXT

Before I went to the trouble to pain that, I'd wash and buff it. You might be surprised how it looks...

You certainly did not get burned.

Edited by ZXT
  • Excellent 1

oliver2-44
1 hour ago, WheelHorse314-8 said:

How is that hardner applied?

The hardener is mixed with the paint before you spray it.  When using the hardener be sure to use a cartridge type respirator, not just a dust mask.  The hardener has some bad stuff in in that you don't want  to be breathing.  whenever I spray paint (any paint) I cover up wit h a long sleeve shirt, painter head sock and gloves etc.  Your skin, can soak in a lot of solvents. 

PS as other have said, that one looks like it might clean up with a good buffing. You could also pull all the tins lightly wet sand them and clearcoat.

Edited by oliver2-44
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 1

WheelHorse314-8

Does anyone know if a model # 78265 deck would work on my 314 mower??

Lane Ranger

My $250. 1995 (314-8. Before and after with just a good cleaning!  Plus new tires all the way around!

76ACACC2-DE17-4A58-9291-57C6CAD7281F.jpeg

303C8EC6-FF10-42B6-88BC-3CF3F4C3844C.jpeg

7A209443-A397-4842-85AC-274F4EA426F7.jpeg

Edited by Lane Ranger
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 3

Lane Ranger

78265 deck is for a 260 series.  48 inch deck that will not work on your 314.

kick

Motor alone is worth more in some parts.  

peter lena

great deal on that, to say the least. reading about the paint issue, one of the first things I do on any tractor is try to stop,  any further paint breakdown , I know it sounds ,strange , but I use penetrating oil and a clean towel to feed the paint. think about it, neglect and no protection at all. on a recent 312 -8 pick up , the paint just glows and is shinny clean , with just penetrating oil. that also has me looking at it in a different view, instead of a rusted wreck, its clean , while I go about any other issues. pete  

WheelHorse314-8

Anyone know what the MSRP was on a 1999 314-8 in 1999?

1995 520H+96+97
1 hour ago, WheelHorse314-8 said:

Anyone know what the MSRP was on a 1999 314-8 in 1999?

Effective January 1,1996 Model 73402, 314-8, shipping weight 666, suggested retail $3599.00, 48" mower 78360 $900.00.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

WheelHorse314-8

Does anyone know what size front rims/tires is suppose to be on my 1999 wheel horse 314-8?

Lee1977

I do know if all 300 series that year came with 6" wheels but a lot of them from years older also had the 6" wheels. The tire size is 15 x 600 x 6. The front spindles on the 6" wheel models drop down 2" below the axle before the bend. If your front spindle are like that you have the correct wheels. They did that because the 37" deck got in the way of the 8" wheels.

ericj

My 99 314-8 came with 16x6.50x8 front tires. I think the 312-8, the only 2 classic tractors available in 99, had the 15x6.00x6 front tires on. Unless you got a 37" deck then the dealer may have swapped front tires for you.

eric j  

WheelHorse314-8

Mine has the 6" wheels on it now.  I purchased a set of 8" wheels (took them off of a craftsman) and put them on mine but the wheels scrapes the drives arms and when you turn the wheels they touch parts of the mower.  I noticed the 6" wheels on it are offset and the 8" wheels I got are not.  Did Wheel Horse use a special 8" offset wheel???

midpack
17 hours ago, Lee1977 said:

I do know if all 300 series that year came with 6" wheels but a lot of them from years older also had the 6" wheels. The tire size is 15 x 600 x 6. The front spindles on the 6" wheel models drop down 2" below the axle before the bend. If your front spindle are like that you have the correct wheels. They did that because the 37" deck got in the way of the 8" wheels.

I don't think the 6" and 8" wheels are interchangeable. I have 312 spindles and was going to try one on my 417 (think PO may have bent one), but the 417 is a shorter distance to the bend

WheelHorse314-8

so can i use a 42in deck with the 6in wheels on it?

So i would need a new front axle to use 8in wheels?

What exactly is a spindle?  :-P

Edited by WheelHorse314-8

roadapples

The 3/4" thick L shaped part that connects the wheel to the axle is the spindle... You don't need a new axle.

clueless

The 6 inch wheel and the 8 inch use different spindles. I know the 6 inch won't work on the 8 inch spindle, not for sure if the 8 inch will work with the 6 inch spindle. If they do it will raise the front of the tractor up to much for a proper cut. Any of the decks will work with the 6 inch wheels, the 37 inch side discharge won't work with the 8 inch wheels.

WheelHorse314-8

Does anyone have any tips on how to get the lights on the dash to work?  

Also, I've read where under the seat you can use the key to turn off/on reverse mowing but I do not see a place on mine to do that.  Is that true?

WheelHorse314-8

does anyone know if I can use an ac delco oil filter on this engine as opposed to the kohler filters?

Terry M

Parts stores should be able to cross reference filter brands and the applications  those will work on...

bds1984

I have a 315-8 and am running an oil filter for my 2015 Focus on it. A short filter with 3/4 x 16 thread will work. As for you spindles, I've swapped 6 and 8 inch wheels between both spindle lengths with no issues while using 42 and 48 inch decks and have the 6-inch spindles on my 520 with 8-inch wheels right now, it just sits up higher.

It may be possible to convert a 260-series to work for you 312. I did it using a deck meant for a 270. All the holes I needed were in the deck shell so I swapped out some bits and pulleys and had a brand new 48-inch deck. 

Pics are here. 

• Like 1

bottjernat1
On 12/3/2018 at 10:16 AM, WheelHorse314-8 said:

Hi guys.  New member here.  Just purchased a 1999 Wheel Horse 314-8 yesterday.  I'm planning on tearing it down and repainting it and I've read alot about the new and old red arguments on here and was wondering, since mine is a 1999 I assume it is the new Toro red.  What red color do most people go with to get it back to as close to factory as possible?  Would Massey Ferguson Red that rustoleum makes be a good option or is Gloss Sunrise Red a better/closer choice?  Also, what color do folks use for the grey wheels?

Thanks for all the help!

I used international red on my horses to restore them looks great!

bottjernat1
On 12/4/2018 at 11:07 AM, Lane Ranger said:

My $250. 1995 (314-8. Before and after with just a good cleaning!  Plus new tires all the way around!

76ACACC2-DE17-4A58-9291-57C6CAD7281F.jpeg

303C8EC6-FF10-42B6-88BC-3CF3F4C3844C.jpeg

7A209443-A397-4842-85AC-274F4EA426F7.jpeg

Sure is perdy!

• Like 1