WheelHorse314-8

just purchased a 1999 314-8

WheelHorse314-8

Hi guys.  New member here.  Just purchased a 1999 Wheel Horse 314-8 yesterday.  I'm planning on tearing it down and repainting it and I've read alot about the new and old red arguments on here and was wondering, since mine is a 1999 I assume it is the new Toro red.  What red color do most people go with to get it back to as close to factory as possible?  Would Massey Ferguson Red that rustoleum makes be a good option or is Gloss Sunrise Red a better/closer choice?  Also, what color do folks use for the grey wheels?

Thanks for all the help!

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

Terry M

International Harvester Red looks good on my tractors!6022EAA4-041A-4980-9E36-7E08E0B3B1D9.jpeg

• Like 8

clueless

If your going to use a rattle can you can still buy new Toro red, not cheap but sprays on nice and I think it has hardner in it.

WheelHorse314-8

I thought about that but that paint is pretty ran expensive.  How many cans would it take to repaint a 314-8 roughly?  I'm very new to all of this.

Achto

:WRS: Another option to get the color just right. Take a piece from your tractor & buff the paint out to get it back to original. Then you could take that part to a local jobber or paint shop and have them mix the paint to match.

• Like 2

clueless
48 minutes ago, WheelHorse314-8 said:

I thought about that but that paint is pretty ran expensive.  How many cans would it take to repaint a 314-8 roughly?  I'm very new to all of this.

A couple of things, when you say I'm new to this, does that mean to the Wheel horse garden tractor thing, or tearing down things and repainting them? That will have a lot to do with the help we can give you.

• Like 1

Vinylguy

Wheel Horse 314-8 newbie was inquiring about decals for his tractor.

Here is what I have so far. Need help with dimensions and spacing to complete the upper dash panel decal.

Started working on the newer models  with Martin a few years ago and have been meaning to get a set listed but somehow forgot about it.

Many of the newer models are no longer so new and will be coming available for restoring in the not so distant future.

1265384580_1999314-8decalkit.jpg.a2e8cb0f6b42e3f6c4c45467f2df1986.jpg1499130779_1999314-8UPPERDASHPLATEDECALDESIGN.jpg.b40246e5c8e78c92ae063fc3831eed9f.jpg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

Pullstart
5 hours ago, WheelHorse314-8 said:

Hi guys.  New member here.  Just purchased a 1999 Wheel Horse 314-8 yesterday.  I'm planning on tearing it down and repainting it and I've read alot about the new and old red arguments on here and was wondering, since mine is a 1999 I assume it is the new Toro red.  What red color do most people go with to get it back to as close to factory as possible?  Would Massey Ferguson Red that rustoleum makes be a good option or is Gloss Sunrise Red a better/closer choice?  Also, what color do folks use for the grey wheels?

Thanks for all the help!

@WheelHorse314-8 :text-welcomeconfetti: to :rs:!  We need pictures of your project, that keeps us happy!

WheelHorse314-8
3 hours ago, clueless said:

A couple of things, when you say I'm new to this, does that mean to the Wheel horse garden tractor thing, or tearing down things and repainting them? That will have a lot to do with the help we can give you.

Both, lol.  My Dad had a Wheel Horse some 20 years ago but have never had a horizontal shaft model.  Have torn stuff down and re-painted it in the past.  Just trying to figure out which paint is best for the Red part of the mower and the Gray hubs so I can buy the correct color.  

Edited by WheelHorse314-8
mispelling

ZXT

As has been said, the sure-fire way of getting paint that's as close to original as possible would be to take a piece off of the tractor, preferable one that hasn't been exposed to the sun as much, buff it and have some paint mixed off of that. Same might be true for the wheels, but I would think it would be easier to contact Toro and see if that paint is available from them.

Oh, and on a side note, this forum loves pictures. Even of ugly tractors. Regardless, post some up!

Edited by ZXT
  • Like 1

WheelHorse314-8
4 minutes ago, ZXT said:

As has been said, the sure-fire way of getting paint that's as close to original as possible would be to take a piece off of the tractor, preferable one that hasn't been exposed to the sun as much, buff it and have some paint mixed off of that. Same might be true for the wheels, but I would think it would be easier to contact Toro and see if that paint is available from them.

Oh, and on a side note, this forum loves pictures. Even of ugly tractors. Regardless, post some up!

I'll get some pictures up asap.

I really don't want to have to get special paint mixed as that is costly.  This will be a mower for use, not show.  I'm trying to decide between the $11.99 per can toro paint or the $4.00 per can rustoleum sun rise red (or other suggestions, of course)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Achto

Just a suggestion, you will have much better results if you buy a gal of Rust-Oleum & spray it with a spray gun.

• Like 1

ZXT
13 minutes ago, Achto said:

Just a suggestion, you will have much better results if you buy a gal of Rust-Oleum & spray it with a spray gun.

I agree - It'll be a far better paint job and will weather better. 

If you were to have the correct color mixed up, a gallon shouldn't be much more than $100. The Rustoleum would do fine I'm sure, though.

• Like 1

clueless

So you don't want to spend tons of money to make it look new again, and your plan is to use spray can pant, so pictures are what we really need to help.

• Like 2

SPINJIM

If you're going to use Rustoleum rattle can, their Regal Red is closer to original color that Sunrise Red.

Jim

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

The Tuul Crib
6 minutes ago, SPINJIM said:

If you're going to use Rustoleum rattle can, their Regal Red is closer to original color that Sunrise Red.

Jim

:text-yeahthat:

• Excellent 1

Pullstart

This is Regal Red spray bomb...  I seem to like it :handgestures-thumbupright:

F909039E-3012-4ED6-95C0-B8FD9B511AFF.jpeg

2E264714-7CE4-4600-9704-E78DDA7DCC35.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

AMC RULES

:text-yeahthat::text-+1:

• Like 1

953 nut

:WRS:

I used IH Red on my 418-C and it is the same color as on my 1999 310-8. I chose the Patriotic decals that @Vinylguy sells, they are awesome.

https://www.redoyourhorse.com/patriotic-decal-set-for-all-300-400-series-wheel-horse-tractors/

23183240_100_0069(1).JPG.b80c5aa35f2c37f313711a59973fe9ff.JPG

Edited by 953 nut
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 1

oliver2-44

The three common standard paint colors a fair amount of members use on here are IH Red, Rustoleum Regal Red and Rustoleum Sunrise Red.  As far as which is closest to original depends on which piece of buffed out old pain you compare it to.   I used Rustoleum Regal Red, (with hardener) on my 312-8  it is a tiny shade darker than Sunrise Red. It's been 3 years since I restored it, for my son to use as his weekly mowing tractor, and the paint has held up excellent .

1277863875_85312-8AsReceived.jpg.7dd84082d26a053a0feee0a19f1e3e88.jpg

1918452215_312-8rightsideclose.jpg(-1.9MB).jpg.23b250869e30715f0769d220b71c4178.jpg

If you buy have a spray gun, consider adding some hardener. rustoleum doesnt make a hardener, so I use the hardener Majic Catalist Hardenenr sold at Tractor Supply. (I don't use the Majic paint, as in my opinion it seems to fade quicker)  

For the silver rims I used  Rustoleum spray can Metallic Matte Silver.

1719605926_IMG_04981.JPG.43e7d51640d1d0b7cfb88e1cf6855c72.JPG

1892239811_85wheelhorserims.jpg.a4b71733de8c22d970d9502a6a91a712.jpg

Good luck on your project. While we all have opinions on color, the most important thing is to make it your own!

Edited by oliver2-44
  • Like 3
  • Excellent 1

John_

Hi 314-8.       Good luck with that tractor!

WheelHorse314-8
2 hours ago, oliver2-44 said:

The three common standard paint colors a fair amount of members use on here are IH Red, Rustoleum Regal Red and Rustoleum Sunrise Red.  As far as which is closest to original depends on which piece of buffed out old pain you compare it to.   I used Rustoleum Regal Red, (with hardener) on my 312-8  it is a tiny shade darker than Sunrise Red. It's been 3 years since I restored it, for my son to use as his weekly mowing tractor, and the paint has held up excellent .

1277863875_85312-8AsReceived.jpg.7dd84082d26a053a0feee0a19f1e3e88.jpg

1918452215_312-8rightsideclose.jpg(-1.9MB).jpg.23b250869e30715f0769d220b71c4178.jpg

If you buy have a spray gun, consider adding some hardener. rustoleum doesnt make a hardener, so I use the hardener Majic Catalist Hardenenr sold at Tractor Supply. (I don't use the Majic paint, as in my opinion it seems to fade quicker)  

For the silver rims I used  Rustoleum spray can Metallic Matte Silver.

1719605926_IMG_04981.JPG.43e7d51640d1d0b7cfb88e1cf6855c72.JPG

1892239811_85wheelhorserims.jpg.a4b71733de8c22d970d9502a6a91a712.jpg

Good luck on your project. While we all have opinopns on color, the most important thing is to make it your own!

How is that hardner applied?

WheelHorse314-8

OK, here are the much requested pictures!  Just got it yesterday for $250 bucks.  Did I get burned?  Runs and pulls like a dream!  I might be in need of a deck and some original front hubs.  lol.  

IMG_20170226_100201.jpg

thumbnail (3).jpg

thumbnail (1).jpg

thumbnail (4).jpg

thumbnail.jpg

thumbnail (2).jpg

Edited by WheelHorse314-8
misspelling
  • Like 3