dells68

Christmas 2.0

dells68

Well, I bought a ratty ole Work Horse for the deck and rear wheels at my local club’s annual show last July.  Emory fell in love with it.  I did rob the deck and front wheels for my 312-8.  Ever since Emory has been asking if I would build it for his Christmas this year.  He was wanting an rj or suburban, but neither has come along, so here goes the 1100.  Below are a fee pics of it’s current condition - broken steering brace, cobble welded hood, and cobbled up steering/dash tower.  Seat could almost go in the ugly seat contest.  Engine is a worn, difficult to start pull start Briggs.  It’s going to be replaced with a fresh rebuilt k241.  I’m optimistic I’ll get it done by Christmas and went ahead and ordered a set of @Vinylguy‘s patriotic decal sets.  Keep your fingers crossed!  Oh, by the way @WHX21, Jim, the shop isn’t any cleaner yet - maybe after Christmas, then maybe not😂.

A2DF6C67-D660-4A7D-A0F6-B90AF4694592.jpeg

2F6F22CB-34B6-469A-A320-41D2B8A1148D.jpeg

E2FA43E0-5614-4BE6-B599-AFE8AB9C6A50.jpeg

1AD42BD0-43D0-4303-B20A-E787571493AD.jpeg

A0E456CA-ED81-4FBC-9D1E-C2D05EC8177F.jpeg

31E8A1D9-15B6-48DE-8998-8A09B5474AD4.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Excellent 5

elcamino/wheelhorse

Looks like a lot of work and a short time to get it done. Good luck

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Chris G

Looks like it needs some work, but I think u can handle it. From the previous work I've seen ya do on this forum, I'd say it's it good hands. 

• Thanks 1

953 nut
9 hours ago, dells68 said:

did rob the deck and front wheels for my 312-8.

You could always "borrow" parts from the 312 for the Christmas Tractor!   Seeing what you accomplished on last year,s auction find :wh: I have no doubt that you can pull this one off too.

:wwp:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

rjg854

Some help from some of Santa's elves, could move this project along too,  :eusa-whistle:

• Like 1

ebinmaine
9 hours ago, Chris G said:

Looks like it needs some work, but I think u can handle it. From the previous work I've seen ya do on this forum, I'd say it's it good hands. 

:text-yeahthat:

• Thanks 1

Pullstart

Are you allowing Emory to be your Elf?  If not, how are you gonna keep him out of the shop for a month?

• Haha 1

dells68

No hiding this time.  He knows it’s his.  He was wanting this one and I had no intentions of fixing it for me, but with everything else going on, I couldn’t turn him down.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

Firebug

I have some good parts on a carcass work horse including a solid hood and some steering components if you’re interested 

• Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

oliver2-44
1 hour ago, rjg854 said:

Some help from some of Santa's elves, could move this project along too,  :eusa-whistle:

@dells68 :wh: Elfs stand by and ready,.  If it fits, it ships, Sir

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

dells68

Thanks @Firebug and @oliver2-44!I’m going to tear into it today and see what I have and what I can do with it.  I’ll let you know how things turn out and what parts I might need.  That’s what makes this place so great - so many friends that we have never had the chance to meet!

Edited by dells68
  • Like 2

Sarge

If you need parts shimmed, welded or repaired, holler. Shipping turnaround will take some time during this season, but I can work turnaround times down pretty fast.

Sarge

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

dells68

Well, I pulled off the dash stand, straightened it, welded up all of the fatigued spots, and added reinforcement plates to the top and area surrounding the bushing.  I use a flux core and am no pro by a long shot, so please ignore my welding!  Getting ready to go back and tackle the hood.  More updates later.

3C7954C1-BE96-4E91-B029-9E63D8EE85A8.jpeg

1ECBEB05-96AF-4A5B-87F8-F0D3BE12D02A.jpeg

C5BC0EE1-5852-4620-BF53-9B7C92BF8F9C.jpeg

8F47CC84-6821-49C3-93F3-0BE2743B84A6.jpeg

AB469092-DA7A-4763-B8E4-BD56D06D2C35.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

dells68

Just now quitting for the night.  I did manage to weld the front and top of the hood together to make one piece.  It was already butchered with a stick welder when we got it and the factory spot welds were broken loose.  I had to weld the bottom of the hood, as the sheet metal was fatigued from flexing.  I also put a strip of steel under the rear of the hood to stiffen and straighten the back.  All told, it looks and fits better now.  Now I dread the mud work!

390605CD-EBB4-400A-B883-E49C2E1C1AE3.jpeg

6EA36457-CDE5-409F-A346-32B8F23DA1B9.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 2

Lee1977

It's looking a lot better.

• Thanks 1

rjg854

Having seen your prior work, this is going to work out well     :thumbs2:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

dells68
36 minutes ago, Lee1977 said:

It's looking a lot better.

32 minutes ago, rjg854 said:

Having seen your prior work, this is going to work out well     :thumbs2:

Thanks guys.  I hope so.  You know how little boys are, they fall in love with something and see potential that everyone else doesn’t see.  That’s exactly what Emory did last summer and has enjoyed riding this poor ole turd, er... horse ever since.  It’ll be a few days before I get to work on it again, but I’ve ordered the electrical stuff I need, ags for all 4 corners, and a new seat for it.  Everything I ordered said delivery by Dec. 11th.  Might be cutting it close on this one,  but I did last year too!😂

• Excellent 2
  • Haha 1

dells68

Took a few minutes and cut the broken tabs to mount the seat pan and welded in some fresh metal.  Not pretty or real smooth. But I think they should do the job and will be hidden anyway.  That’s it for tonight.   Had just a few minutes to work after decorating our tree.

7018D143-B55B-4F1F-9563-E8B5ECA43092.jpeg

096DC1F2-7579-4E40-B8B4-04FF1649FAF8.jpeg

C7A97088-E373-4D8D-AD70-9AE0195B3D39.jpeg

• Like 3

Pullstart

The welds are the prettiest parts of the picture!  I’m thinking that tractor needs an annual Christmas Bath! :ROTF:  Keep up the good work Dell, we can sleep when we’re dead :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Haha 3

dells68

A bath?  Thing should have been burnt at the stake months ago!  I’m working on getting it structurally sound, then I can clean her up and begin the cosmetics.  And of course giving it Kohler power!

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 2

ebinmaine
30 minutes ago, dells68 said:

Thing should have been burnt at the stake months ago!  

Just further proof of how rugged these things are I guess.

That nasty, and still running. And worth saving.

• Like 2

dells68
3 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

That nasty, and still running. And worth saving.

Eric, I think that might be questionable about worth saving.  This one was really rough.  It had been rode hard and put up wet many times!  If it were up to me it wouldn't have been saved, but Emory saw value in it and the smile he had when he was riding on it persuaded me to save it.  I would honestly have loved to have found him another horse, but the frame is still solid with no cracks and the transmission shifts perfectly in all gears.  He just loved it too much to junk it.  Oh well, another really tired horse saved to work another day!

• Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

Lee1977
35 minutes ago, dells68 said:

Eric, I think that might be questionable about worth saving.  This one was really rough.  It had been rode hard and put up wet many times!  If it were up to me it wouldn't have been saved, but Emory saw value in it and the smile he had when he was riding on it persuaded me to save it.  I would honestly have loved to have found him another horse, but the frame is still solid with no cracks and the transmission shifts perfectly in all gears.  He just loved it too much to junk it.  Oh well, another really tired horse saved to work another day!

you could add some better sheet metal parts to it later and make a nice look tractor.

• Like 1

Tractorhead

Hey dell, keep up the good work!

i can feel with you, mine was also in a burning shed and after i see it, i fel in love.

because mine was much younger, your's have maybe more history, but they're build to work not dump.

keep it up - i like it to see, how the pretty cool little machines come back to live!

sending you good vibrations for best success!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

dells68

Got about an hour and a half to work tonight, so I tacked the last couple of spots I needed to hit on the hood and replaced the rusty parts of the belt guard.  I probably should weld the seams solid, but I’m trying to avoid as much distortion as possible on the guard.

0E34C973-4C62-4A3A-9822-F01AD5972750.jpeg

5713B8F7-EB87-48B4-A693-1EB408AB3C70.jpeg

DF87323E-E8BD-4C29-834C-239B3652C701.jpeg

• Like 6