The Tuul Crib

Guess it’s not cold enough yet!

The Tuul Crib

I’m sitting here thumbing through my tablet on read square and on the screen I see a mosquito!  Of course I am outside in 63° weather. We have already had a couple of hard freezes seems as though these little so-and-so‘s have not gone away!  We expect 70 by Sunday!

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

ebinmaine

And here in Maine we've already had over 20 inches of snow......

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

midpack
2 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Yikes... you're pretty close to my camp... hope the old shack holds up 

• Like 1

The Tuul Crib
11 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Ah yes !  There something about a freshly fallen snow it is so peaceful upon the land! Sometimes I wish we had that here but unfortunately we are in the Mid South and we deal with what is dealt .  I grew up in the snow belt in the upper mid west where you got lots of snow and hard freezes already .

:occasion-snowman:

Edited by The Tool Crib
  • Like 1

Machineguy
1 hour ago, ebinmaine said:

I’m patiently waiting for a chance to play in the snow!!! 

Stay warm my friend!! 

Edited by Machineguy
  • Like 1

giddyap
5 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

And although I feel bad, You still can't have my skis

• Haha 8

ebinmaine
6 hours ago, giddyap said:

And although I feel bad, You still can't have my skis

No need to feel bad !!!!

:lol:

I'll get around to building a set sometime.........

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Racinbob

Around here the skeeters are gone but even after the 5th or 6th coldest November in history with days never out of the 20's the stink bugs persist. As Hank sang "the stink bugs can survive" :huh:

• Haha 2

LengerichKA88
15 hours ago, The Tool Crib said:

Of course I am outside in 63° weather.

If it could never get warmer than 65, I’d be ecstatic. The flip side of that is i would never want it colder than 33. Nice and cool, no snow, perfection haha. 

The Tuul Crib
19 minutes ago, KyleLengerich said:

If it could never get warmer than 65, I’d be ecstatic. The flip side of that is i would never want it colder than 33. Nice and cool, no snow, perfection haha. 

Yes  but then we couldn't ride our horses in the snow! .:o

LengerichKA88
35 minutes ago, The Tool Crib said:

Yes  but then we couldn't ride our horses in the snow! .:o

I could live with that 😂

These tractors are the only reason I’m sort kinda maybe thinking about looking forward to the possibility of potential snow😂🤣

Sarge

It can be worse, we already got a lot of snow/ice/rain/slush and such - but the ground is nowhere near being frozen, which is a real problem when trying to blow the stuff or do anything with it. I've already peeled a lot of sod and gravel, next spring's cleanup will be pretty extensive already and we're just getting started. Areas I cleaned a bit yesterday in preparation for today/tomorrow's heavy rains revealed green grass that seems like it's still trying to grow. Northern Illinois can get downright weird at times with the weather - the forecast the next few days brings high winds and pretty much every assortment of precipitation you could want, all in one to two days time. The worst part right now is how badly saturated the ground has been - everything is very soft, including the roads which are getting pretty badly damaged from this weather pattern. IDOT has already had to do several repairs in the area due to heaving from the water levels/cold weather.

Sarge

ztnoo

@The Tool Crib,

On 11/30/2018 at 6:50 PM, The Tool Crib said:

I see a mosquito!

Since you are chasing bugs around to cull the herd, so to speak, and they are "open season" game you can take without a license, see if you can eliminate this one. It may actually be one of many here .....not sure...... but I only see them one at a time. Let us know it you have any luck.

BUG.gif.8c3c7071db8ecf1e691621d1ca8a01fb.gif

et al.

* As to the winter weather here in east central Indiana: I live in an area of the Midwest which typically is in continual transition a great deal of the winter. I personally jokingly refer to it as "the slop zone".

Although we normally have some periods of extended time of extreme cold in January and portions of February with temps sometimes -15F to -20F, I have witnessed -25F before. Because of the generally rather flat or very gently rolling topography with huge acreage areas of open row crop land, and little to block the wind in any significant manner with only a few wooded areas scattered around, wind chills can be the killer in the equation of determining "comfort" levels.

We may have a 0 degree reading on the thermometer, which if you worked outside some as I did on occasion, and learned to dress for the conditions, it would seem like not a big deal and was bearable..........IF there was no wind or just a few mph.

But when you factor in high wind speeds combined with low or below 0 degrees temps, it can truly get to be dangerously cold. It's not uncommon to have blocks of time of -25F to -30F wind chills. That's when it gets really serious here. Looking at the thermometer on the exterior of a house or attached to a tree or outdoor shed, won't tell you the real story unless you check the wind speed. You can only be described as a fool ready to freeze his ass off if you don't adjust your wardrobe choices largely based on the knowledge of current wind chills.

Large portions of November, December, sometimes February, and March the temperatures as well as precipitation, is like going to Vegas to roll the dice. Actually you can just do that on your kitchen table and save the air fare.

It can and will do literally anything here ....... copious amounts of rain, sometimes freezing rain, sleet, and snow .............  on occasion we'll see all of those weather elements in the same day, something several times during the day. Years ago I had dial up internet service which was relatively slow to load after you clicked on a link. Sitting at my desk that morning it we endured rain, sleet, freezing rain, some occasional snow, the rather rare thunder snow, and about 1/8-1/4 mile visibility. After I clicked on a link and twiddled my thumbs waiting for it to load, and looked out my back window to see a buck about 100' from my house standing just inside a crop field feeding. I live on the edge of a town of about 6000, but there is a probably 15 to 18 acre woods within 1/4-3/8 of a mile from me where I occasionally see deer on the edge of the woods. But the day was so miserable, a normally overcautious buck felt checking feeding possibilities close to town was pretty safe. It was just a day not fit for man to be out, and not much wildlife either, except that buck almost standing in my yard.  Much of the November-March period is overcast and cloudy, and if you suffer from Seasonal affective disorder (SAD), you might have big problems living here in the winter. Granted its not Alaskan or Scandinavian type lack of light, but after a while, the dominant cloudiness creates the same effect.

So, often we are in this ongoing, frequent, continual freeze/thaw cycle which plays havoc on our roads. Many areas not that far north of my location, once it freezes it generally stays frozen most of the winter. Fewer freeze/thaw cycles equals less road damage. Three years ago the State of Indiana completely ground the road surface and repaved through our town which is two combined state roads which split at I-69, 2 1/2 miles east of town. It's the second most heavily traveled road in the county, and sees a tremendous amount of long haul truck traffic. When finished, it was beautiful and as smooth as its ever been on my 70 years on this planet. Three years later, partially do to both weather and design specs of the materials used in the asphalt, the road looks like it hasn't been paved for 18-20 years........ now patched in places, hot tar has been applied to prolific fissuring, and its a mess. Given the latitude and combination of weather variability this could be referred to the world's lead producer of potholes on an annual basis. In spring those potholes can literally happen overnight, depending on the volume of traffic.

Snow here is a huge variable. We may have 12-16" over the course of a winter, or up to 40"......occasionally a little more. The one huge weather event in my life was "The Blizzard of 1978". That made me the weather hawk I am today. I was stuck in a town 90 miles to the north not far from the IN/MI state line for one week, to my good fortune, with my girl friend at the time. That town was about the same distance from I-69 as my town, yet you couldn't get down city streets to get to a state highway to access the interstate, let alone drive on it. There were 8-10' drifts everywhere. I-69 included. People ran out of food, others were trapped in their cars on the interstate and everywhere. They ran out of gas, and in some case their cars were completely covered with snow. With -55F to -60F wind chills, you didn't dare leave your vehicle, because if you did and were inadequately clothed you could go into hypothermia, fall down, and freeze to death. If you think about a hurricane in reverse terms, that pretty well defines what I witnessed and experienced. Ever since 1978 I've been attuned to the weather forecast, and now I'm glued to NOAA on a daily basis.

No Wheel Horse snow removal here. But I do have a very nice Toro self-propelled 826 LE snowblower which does the job I need done nicely. I received it after I married a widow when I was 58 years of age. My first and hopefully only marriage. She jokingly said the Toro was her wedding dowry.  rotfl.gif.148306eb2d2e0923dc8fe3d020517f2e.gif

Edited by ztnoo
  • Like 1

The Tuul Crib
3 hours ago, ztnoo said:

@The Tool Crib,

Since you are chasing bugs around to cull the herd, so to speak, and they are "open season" game you can take without a license, see if you can eliminate this one. It may actually be one of many here .....not sure...... but I only see them one at a time. Let us know it you have any luck.

BUG.gif.8c3c7071db8ecf1e691621d1ca8a01fb.gif

et al.

* As to the winter weather here in east central Indiana: I live in an area of the Midwest which typically is in continual transition a great deal of the winter. I personally jokingly refer to it as "the slop zone".

Although we normally have some periods of extended time of extreme cold for periods in January and portions of February with temps sometimes -15F to -20F, I have witnessed -25F before. Because of the generally rather flat or very gently rolling topography with huge acreage areas of open row crop land, and little to block the wind in any significant manner with only a few wooded areas scattered around, wind chills can be the killer in the equation of determining "comfort" levels.

We may have a 0 degree reading on the thermometer, which if you worked outside some as I did on occasion, and learned to dress for the conditions, it would seem like not a big deal and was bearable..........IF there was no wind or just a few mph.

But when you factor in high wind speeds combined with low or below 0 degrees temps, it can truly get to be dangerously cold. It's not uncommon to have blocks of time of -25F to -30F wind chills. That's when it gets really serious here. Looking at the thermometer on the exterior of a house or attached to a tree or outdoor shed, won't tell you the real story unless you check the wind speed. You can only be described as a fool ready to freeze his ass off if you don't adjust your wardrobe choices largely based on the knowledge of current wind chills.

Large portions of November, December, sometimes February, and March the temperatures as well as precipitation, is like going to Vegas to roll the dice. Actually you can just do that on your kitchen table and save the air fare.

It can and will do literally anything here ....... copious amounts of rain, sometimes freezing rain, sleet, and snow .............  on occasion we'll see all of those weather elements in the same day, something several times during the day. Years ago I had dial up internet service which was relatively slow to load after you clicked on a link. Sitting at my desk that morning it we endured rain, sleet, freezing rain, some occasional snow, the rather rare thunder snow, and about 1/8-1/4 mile visibility. After I clicked on a link and twiddled my thumbs waiting for it to load, and looked out my back window to see a buck about 100' from my house standing just inside a crop field feeding. I live on the edge of a town of about 6000, but there is a probably 15 to 18 acre woods within 1/4-3/8 of a mile from me where I occasionally see deer on the edge of the woods. But the day was so miserable, a normally overcautious buck felt checking feeding possibilities close to town was pretty safe. It was just a day not fit for man to be out, and not much wildlife either, except that buck almost standing in my yard.  Much of the November-March period is overcast and cloudy, and if you suffer from Seasonal affective disorder (SAD), you might have big problems living here in the winter. Granted its not Alaskan or Scandinavian type lack of light, but after a while, the dominant cloudiness creates the same effect.

So, often we are in this ongoing, frequent, continual freeze/thaw cycle which plays havoc on our roads. Many areas not that far north of my location, once it freezes it generally stays frozen most of the winter. Fewer freeze/thaw cycles equals less road damage. Three years ago the State of Indiana completely ground the road surface and repaved through our town which is two combined state roads which split at I-69, 2 1/2 miles east of town. It's the second most heavily traveled road in the county, and sees a tremendous amount of long haul truck traffic. When finished, it was beautiful and as smooth as its ever been on my 70 years on this planet. Three years later, partially do to both weather and design specs of the materials used in the asphalt, the road looks like it hasn't been paved for 18-20 years........ now patched in places, hot tar has been applied to prolific fissuring, and its a mess. Given the latitude and combination of weather variability this could be referred to the world's lead producer of potholes on an annual basis. In spring those potholes can literally happen overnight, depending on the volume of traffic.

Snow here is a huge variable. We may have 12-16" over the course of a winter, or up to 40"......occasionally a little more. The one huge weather event in my life was "The Blizzard of 1978". That made me the weather hawk I am today. I was stuck in a town 90 miles to the north not far from the IN/MI state line for one week, to my good fortune, with my girl friend at the time. That town was about the same distance from I-69 as my town, yet you couldn't get down city streets to get to a state highway to access the interstate, let alone drive on it. There were 8-10' drifts everywhere. I-69 included. People ran out of food, others were trapped in their cars on the interstate and everywhere. They ran out of gas, and in some case their cars were completely covered with snow. With -55F to -60F wind chills, you didn't dare leave your vehicle, because if you did and were inadequately clothed you could go into hypothermia, fall down, and freeze to death. If you think about a hurricane in reverse terms, that pretty well defines what I witnessed and experienced. Ever since 1978 I've been attuned to the weather forecast, and now I'm glued to NOAA on a daily basis.

No Wheel Horse snow removal here. But I do have a very nice Toro self-propelled 826 LE snowblower which does the job I need done nicely. I received in after I married a widow when I was 58 years of age. My first and hopefully only marriage. She jokingly said the Toro was her wedding dowry.  rotfl.gif.148306eb2d2e0923dc8fe3d020517f2e.gif

I remember the blizzard of 78 all too well. I was living at my parents house in Iowa and we had in three weeks time 36 inches of snow. Ah yes the memories.

Edited by The Tool Crib
  • Like 1

ebinmaine
17 minutes ago, The Tool Crib said:

three weeks time 36 inches of snow

Weeks or days?

The Tuul Crib
1 minute ago, ebinmaine said:

Weeks or days?

It snowed three consecutive weekends of at least 12 inches at a time 

ebinmaine
1 minute ago, The Tool Crib said:

I gather that's a lot out there?

That's a lot here too usually.

We've seen dramatically more at times.

Rain today. Hopefully washing away some of the snow we have so we can get back in the woods a few more times before winter really sets in.

The Tuul Crib
2 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

I gather that's a lot out there?

That's a lot here too usually.

We've seen dramatically more at times.

Rain today. Hopefully washing away some of the snow we have so we can get back in the woods a few more times before winter really sets in.

Yeah typically here in the Midsouth we are lucky to see 6 inches or so for the whole winter but the mere mention of snow here it puts the whole area in a panic!

:blink:

ebinmaine
34 minutes ago, The Tool Crib said:

Yeah typically here in the Midsouth we are lucky to see 6 inches or so for the whole winter but the mere mention of snow here it puts the whole area in a panic!

:blink:

Hehehehe

We know.....

:P

giddyap
3 hours ago, The Tool Crib said:

Here in NE Ohio, we got about 6" of snow on Monday. By Wed the frozen ground allowed me to record my youtube "Wheel Horse on skis". And now this first weekend in December,  I'm wearing shorts again. No skeeters, just Stink Bugs in Ohio 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The Tuul Crib

Nice video!!  That's the most fun to be had on two wheels !!  :greetings-clappingyellow:

• Excellent 1