formariz

Two stage blower top chute adjustment.

formariz

Just installed the two stage blower on my 520H for the first time today. This thing is absolutely impressive to say the least. Next will be the cab. The chute deflector on top to control distance however is manual. Cannot be adjusted without stepping off tractor, which I see will be a major inconvenience. Any ideas out here for an improvement on it so it can be adjusted from cab? Perhaps reference to previously posted topics on this? Been searching but have not come across any.

Edited by formariz

peter lena

almost think you might have to make up your own , I am not aware of any for your unit. however there are a lot of ideas on function on the walk behind blowers. noted the cable mounting and the lever type, work very easily. on your cab ,I would recommend using  303 AEROSPACE PROTECTANT, MARINE AND RECREATIONAL SPRAY. IT WILL KEEP THE VINYL LOOKING LIKE NEW.  use it on my boat , and it just feeds the vinyl worth a look. good luck with that, pete

wallfish

I attached a small actuator to move it. Also used a motor for rotating it as well.

Think mine is a 4" stroke and have it mounted on the side, but if you mount it on tiop in the middle I believe it may take a 6" stroke. Then I use momentary switches

• Like 2

wallfish

pics. Used a power window motor for the rotation. It's covered with a piece of rubber to keep the ice out.

You can find a thread Duke did a while back. "snow chucker"

IMG_0215.JPG.2f86ddf4c80ee2bc2bf3908f46eaf6e2.JPG

IMG_0216.JPG.e922ff8759c43d9e3c367722c41628e2.JPG

• Like 4

formariz
On 11/29/2018 at 6:31 PM, wallfish said:

pics. Used a power window motor for the rotation. It's covered with a piece of rubber to keep the ice out.

You can find a thread Duke did a while back. "snow chucker"

That looks like real easy operation. I am surprised that when they designed this blower they did not provide a way to adjust it from tractor. Its standard equipment on a walk behind and on those you can easily reach over to adjust! Its really silly (not to say anything stronger)to expect someone to stop and get off a tractor in order to adjust that. Its equivalent to having a plow that you need to get off tractor to angle it. What were they thinking???

wallfish
3 hours ago, formariz said:

Its equivalent to having a plow that you need to get off tractor to angle it.

Exactly Cas, that's why it was one of first things I took care of. Don't like crank'n on the handle either.

formariz

I don't mind cranking the handle to turn chute and would not even mind a similar system for the deflector as the walk behind ones have. I guess it took me a while to realize it and then only when it was mounted as to how stupid (here I go) it really is. It certainly put a damper on the excitement here. It is certainly something to take care of immediately.

AMC RULES

Maybe, just need to extend the chute deflector rod into the cab. 

39315162_Picture2874.jpg.8eba478f31dfaa9068ddc9682dfc36cf.jpg1339668204_Picture22871.jpg.7136ef3bb08a5f746252c84d95d4d557.jpg

• Excellent 1

formariz
3 hours ago, AMC RULES said:

Maybe, just need to extend the chute deflector rod into the cab. 

39315162_Picture2874.jpg.8eba478f31dfaa9068ddc9682dfc36cf.jpg1339668204_Picture22871.jpg.7136ef3bb08a5f746252c84d95d4d557.jpg

Great photos again. Could you post closeup photos of the attachment  points of the frame on that cab? I have one to install for the first time. Really appreciate it.

formariz

On 11/29/2018 at 6:20 PM, wallfish said:

I attached a small actuator to move it. Also used a motor for rotating it as well.

Think mine is a 4" stroke and have it mounted on the side, but if you mount it on tiop in the middle I believe it may take a 6" stroke. Then I use momentary switches

.John could you take your boot off and show me how you have that motor mounted? I decided that your setup is the best way to go. I already ordered  a linear actuator for the top.

wallfish

It's  a power window motor attached to the chute worm gear with a piece of copper pipe. I can't remember exactly what the window motor was for but look before you buy as most have a gear that rotates on a stationary pin. You can't remove the gear and have a rotating shaft. Mine does have a rotating shaft so I just drilled a hole through it for a pin. The holes in the copper pipe were drilled 90 degress of each other so it acts like a U-joint. If that link from the motor to the chute gear is tight, it will need to be aligned perfectly so it doesn't bind.

The best one was a thread by @Wheelbearing which I can't find. He used a motor and a chain to rotate the chute. If you can grind more teeth into the chute base, a bicycle chain fits right into the teeth which are already there and use a #35 sprocket attached to a motor. Only need to grind in half of the teeth.

th.jpg.66189b76d74ffc44f63105d713cf5e54.jpg

Shynon

@dclarke also put a seat motor on his, maybe he will chime in.

grinchsr

I have been following this post and I am wondering if anyone has ever tried a long cable. 

formariz
6 minutes ago, grinchsr said:

I have been following this post and I am wondering if anyone has ever tried a long cable. 

I have been looking at that possibility by using my Ariens walk behind as inspiration. The thing is that a cable that long with the spring and rod for chute runs over $55.00, then one still needs to devise some type of handle to activate it and attach it to tractor somewhere. In addition you also need to fabricate brackets to attach cable to chute.For $10.00 more I can get a waterproof 4" linear actuator with momentary switch . I can just Velcro switch in a convenient location. Installation of actuator and wiring  is very simple.

Then I started looking at the chute turning and it is also pretty simple. Actually the motor that John shows on his reply is readily available for under $40.00.

formariz
2 hours ago, wallfish said:

The best one was a thread by @Wheelbearing which I can't find. He used a motor and a chain to rotate the chute. If you can grind more teeth into the chute base, a bicycle chain fits right into the teeth which are already there and use a #35 sprocket attached to a motor.

Found it.

dclarke

• Thanks 1

formariz

@dclarke  Any concerns or issues ever from moisture or rain on either motor?

dclarke
2 minutes ago, formariz said:

@dclarke  Any concerns or issues ever from moisture or rain on either motor?

I cut an old inner tube and zip tied it over each motor to help with moisture but we haven’t had enough snow to use the blower since I installed the motors. 

95287FBE-3C03-46FF-88CE-C0E50BC25C19.jpeg

• Like 2

formariz
2 hours ago, dclarke said:

I cut an old inner tube and zip tied it over each motor to help with moisture but we haven’t had enough snow to use the blower since I installed the motors

It looks like the unit I ordered may be the same one you have. If so I also found this cover sold by another vendor that makes these kits that may fit. Looks like the same unit on his site.

image.png.953efd802859ffe94c7c7075e7a1ceba.png

image.png.d7a5810c7ae4d671334e7a6ab61c0643.png

• Like 1

dclarke
8 minutes ago, formariz said:

It looks like the unit I ordered may be the same one you have. If so I also found this cover sold by another vendor that makes these kits that may fit. Looks like the same unit on his site.

image.png.953efd802859ffe94c7c7075e7a1ceba.png

image.png.d7a5810c7ae4d671334e7a6ab61c0643.png

I’ll check that out. Thanks! 

wallfish
7 hours ago, formariz said:

Found it.

What do you think of his set up?  Nice huh?

The worm gears do tend to get iced up once in a while and skip but it hasn't been a huge problem. I was working on setting up a chain system like his as that's how the discovery of the 35 chain fitting the existing chute grooves came about. Just haven't had the time to cut in the new grooves / teeth on the chute. 

For connecting my motors' wires I used a common trailer 4 prong connector so it could be disconnected easily and quickly if removing the blower.

formariz
6 minutes ago, wallfish said:

What do you think of his set up?  Nice huh?

The worm gears do tend to get iced up once in a while and skip but it hasn't been a huge problem. I was working on setting up a chain system like his as that's how the discovery of the 35 chain fitting the existing chute grooves came about. Just haven't had the time to cut in the new grooves / teeth on the chute. 

For connecting my motors' wires I used a common trailer 4 prong connector so it could be disconnected easily and quickly if removing the blower.

Very nice indeed. Did he cut new additional teeth or did he replace entire wheel? Not only functionality but also aesthetically its awesome. @dclarke system is nice also and perhaps a little easier to do. I am going to concentrate on getting deflector done now since its most needed and relatively simple. I am also trying to get cab installed for which I have a few questions ( new thread). Once those two are done I can relax and have time for motorizing the chute.

• Like 1

wallfish
1 minute ago, formariz said:

Did he cut new additional teeth or did he replace entire wheel?

He cut out the center portion of a sprocket and made a whole new chute base out of it. I just figured grinding new teeth would be easier and serve the same purpose.

Once you get the cab on you'll see why a motorized rotation is better. My hand kept hitting the cab door even though mine has the big bump outs in the doors for the extra room.  It's nice to have the glass windshield with widow wiper too! Also hooked up a small 12v heater to blow on the window as a defogger. It doesn't really add any heat to the cab but it does work for defogging the window.

https://www.harborfreight.com/12v-auto-heater-defroster-with-light-60525.html

Rain X stuff works good as well.

formariz

Yes I have to also look at a glass windshield, not only for better visibility but also because I am not too fond of the flexible plastic in there now. I thought also about making one out of plexiglass. Are there any kits available already made out of glass?