ebinmaine

1267 ate a drive belt. Help with reasons?

ebinmaine

I used it 2 days ago to move a little snow in the yard. Just a test drive really.

I noticed immediately that the belt wasn't right.

Sometimes let out the clutch and went nowhere.

I put a new belt on and then...

I plowed yesterday for the first real storm.

It went very well overall.

I noticed a few times I could smell the belt getting hot.

After a couple hours of  back and forth with VERY heavy snow the belt was so worn it was nearly not driving anymore.

Belt is a stens.

Correct size. 1/2 x 76.

I'm thinking clutch spring maybe weak?

What else to check?

• Sad 1

moe1965

Just a thought  I had a idler pulley  lock up on me before could cause belt to get warm 

Edited by moe1965
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

wallfish

:text-yeahthat:

Check the idler pulley. For a belt to fail that quickly it must be friction. Locked idler or something scraping on the belt

• Like 5
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine
15 minutes ago, moe1965 said:

Just a thought  I had a idler pulley  lock up on me before could cause belt to get warm 

2 minutes ago, wallfish said:

Check the idler pulley. For a belt to fail that quickly it must be friction. Locked idler or something scraping on the belt

Thanks guys. I'll double check it. I shook it to see if it was tight but I don't remember checking it to see that it rotated without resistance.

jebbear

Just a thought, but check pulley alignment. Engine pulley slid on shaft? Also, my idler pulley was shot causing lots of wiggle.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

WVHillbilly520H
3 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

After a couple hours of  back and forth with VERY heavy snow the belt was so worn it was nearly not driving anymore..

There's where a lazy man's hydro like my 520H or say a C160H comes in handy...even this gear jammer has a weakness for driveability of a hydro for snow removal...

3 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

What else to check?

Those belt alignment fingers at the engine drive pulley...

IMAG4150.jpg

ebinmaine
32 minutes ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

belt alignment fingers at the engine drive pulley...

Now that you mention it, I don't think they're even are any.

I tried to watch the movement of the belt versus the engine pulley as I was sitting on the tractor which is a bit of a weird angle as you can imagine.

That end of the system appears to be working okay. I did notice that when I let the clutch go the belt seemed to sink into the engine pulley like it was really trying to grab onto it.

Lee1977

I don't know if your tractor uses a 1/2" belt, but my C-120 uses a 5/8" belt. The 5/8" belt will bring it to the top of the pulley.

The belt guard and the fingers push the belt forward to keep the belt from trying to engage. The fingers are built into the belt guard on my C-120, don't know about your model.

Edited by Lee1977
  • Like 2

SPINJIM

The belt guard on that model might have a partition down the middle of it.  Make sure the the belt is routed on the correct side of that partition when it is running with the clutch out.   I burned up a belt by having it routed wrong through that type of belt guard.

Jim

• Like 1

pfrederi
4 minutes ago, SPINJIM said:

The belt guard on that model might have a partition down the middle of it.  Make sure the the belt is routed on the correct side of that partition when it is running with the clutch out.   I burned up a belt by having it routed wrong through that type of belt guard.

Jim

Done that myself belt should sit on top of the partition

Sparky
5 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Belt is a stens.

Correct size. 1/2 x 76.

Not sure about length but aren't our drive belts 5/8" wide ?

• Like 2

ebinmaine
On 11/28/2018 at 9:07 AM, Lee1977 said:

fingers are built into the belt guard

There is one single finger on the bottom at the front

@SPINJIM and @pfrederi I don't think there's anything on the inside of this belt guard at all. I should put a disclaimer here and say that we had no electricity for yesterday and we were doing the repair in the dark with only headlamps but I feel like that would have been noticed. Maybe not.....:ROTF:

@Sparky the tractors in 1967 use a half inch wide belt. I know my B and C Series in the 70s are the wider style though.

Edited by ebinmaine

Pullstart

Is your belt guard grounded well?  Maybe all that fancy wiring and lighting shocked it!  :ychain:

• Haha 2

ebinmaine
4 minutes ago, pullstart said:

Is your belt guard grounded well?  Maybe all that fancy wiring and lighting shocked it!  :ychain:

It is. I wish that was a good enough reason to fry the belt.

:scared-shocked:

On this particular tractor all the lights are grounded straight to the battery and that ground is shared with the engine and the belt guard.

• Like 2

Lee1977

It needs a belt guard on each side to make the belt go forward. See if one has broken off the top. May need to make one that bolts to the engine.

ebinmaine

Can somebody post a drawing or picture of where that flange or fin should be on this belt guard?

pfrederi

Inside a couple inches above the lower edge of the guard  lower run of the belt almost sits on it  You may not have one not all models did...

IMG_0241.JPG

Edited by pfrederi
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine
4 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

may not have one 

Thank you for the picture Paul.

I'll double-check that of course, when I go to put the new belt in.

I don't think I had one of those.

I'll look in that approximate location to see if I can find any old spot welds or anything.

Lee1977

Did you use a belt guard from a hydro? I don't have a hydro, but I think the belt idler was on top of the belt and the idler for a 8 speed is a V. I don't think a hydro belt guard would have that.

ebinmaine
15 minutes ago, Lee1977 said:

Did you use a belt guard from a hydro? I don't have a hydro, but I think the belt idler was on top of the belt and the idler for a 8 speed is a V. I don't think a hydro belt guard would have that.

Anything's possible. This is one of the auction tractors I brought home about 3 months ago. The guy that was doing the service on it was very very good at making things run and drive and work but he definitely did not always do things the original Factory way.

Chris G

I see it's been mentioned a time or two already. But I know from my experience, I would check idler pulley and belt alignment.

• Like 1

ebinmaine
Just now, Chris G said:

I see it's been mentioned a time or two already. But I know from my experience, I would check idler pulley and belt alignment.

Fore and aft alignment is good .

Pulley maybe not.

My problem could actually be three different things turning out to be a giant pain.

Weak clutch spring.

Pulley that may be dragging some.

There should be some kind of guide in there that I'm missing that would be helping to line the belt up.

• Like 2

stevasaurus

I don't know it yours is the same as my 857, but here are a few pictures.  Maybe that little roller by the input pulley. 

2015_05067020003.JPG

2015_05067020004.JPG

2015_05067020005.JPG

Notice the bent piece of wire used for a guide on top of the engine pulley.

2015_05067020001.JPG

2015_05067020002.JPG

• Excellent 2

John_

Eric, how do the insides of the pulleys look,  are they free of rust ?    I remember years ago of a couple of tractors eating drive belts from that.

• Like 1

Elkskin's mower junkyard

My bet is on weak clutch spring. Had the issue on one

• Like 1