DBlackston

H60 leaking oil out of Breather

DBlackston

Hello,

I purchased a 653 for my Grandfather to restore and it has the Tecumseh H60 on it. Motor is not installed in tractor currently. 

Here is a photo of both the tractor and the motor tag.FB_IMG_1521663869701.jpg.f199b36ceeff07c25083db7900487368.jpg

20180604_193115.jpg.2ff11c3351ef13f0993117bba91eab9b.jpg

It is leaking oil out of the breather. 

We believed it to be due to a faulty breather flap not closing and replaced it with a new unit from Jacks Small Engine. Here is a photo of the old breather we replaced.20180604_193157.jpg.cd0046b0ff5e2334ff35120259264900.jpg

However it still is leaking oil. Mind you this is with the motor not running, merely turning it over with the starter.

With the breather removed you can see the oil mist is coming from a channel that leads down into the crank case. 

The motor does not have bad compression suggesting bad rings, it held 90psi for over 24hrs when checked with a compression tester.

Can anyone suggest why so much oil mist would be coming from the crank and how to remedy the situation?

Thank you in advance for your help!

Edited by DBlackston
  • Like 1

gwest_ca

That is the original engine for the 653. Need some engine service manuals?

Garry

• Like 1

Bucko

My guess is that the rings (oil ring) is allowing pressure back into the crankcase, thus your seeing it with oil mist at the breather tube. Or, the cylinder is scored.

Nice tractor! Got to keep these running!

Edited by Bucko

DBlackston
1 hour ago, gwest_ca said:

That is the original engine for the 653. Need some engine service manuals?

Garry

Thank you for those links! I will print them off for grandpa and I to look through.

pfrederi
13 hours ago, DBlackston said:

Hello,

I purchased a 653 for my Grandfather to restore and it has the Tecumseh H60 on it. Motor is not installed in tractor currently. 

Here is a photo of both the tractor and the motor tag.FB_IMG_1521663869701.jpg.f199b36ceeff07c25083db7900487368.jpg

20180604_193115.jpg.2ff11c3351ef13f0993117bba91eab9b.jpg

It is leaking oil out of the breather. 

We believed it to be due to a faulty breather flap not closing and replaced it with a new unit from Jacks Small Engine. Here is a photo of the old breather we replaced.20180604_193157.jpg.cd0046b0ff5e2334ff35120259264900.jpg

However it still is leaking oil. Mind you this is with the motor not running, merely turning it over with the starter.

With the breather removed you can see the oil mist is coming from a channel that leads down into the crank case. 

The motor does not have bad compression suggesting bad rings, it held 90psi for over 24hrs when checked with a compression tester.

Can anyone suggest why so much oil mist would be coming from the crank and how to remedy the situation?

Thank you in advance for your help!

Most compression testers hold their highest reading.  I don't think any engine would actually hold 90 psi in the cylinder over night.  90 PSI is not the best reading ever  I would suspect a bad ring (s) or just old age wear. causing some blow by.    A leak down test would give you some more info.

Elkskin's mower junkyard

Another thing. Gas in oil (caused by faulty fuel pump if it has one) 2 oil level too high. These tecs don't take a lot of oil. You could do what I did to my 552. Put a Kohler on it lol

Dan693

Not a lot of tech stuff to offer but I had a Raider 10 with a techy that did the exact same thing. I bailed out and sold it cheap. Huge headaches with that one.

What I should have done was start by tearing the engine down and checking everything out. I still wonder if the internal governor mechanism was messed up.

It ran super rough and when revved oil would pour out through the rubber tube.

I restored the chassis and deck before dealing with the engine first. Big $600 mistake.

It was my first WH so what can I say. Live and learn.