Rich16

Hoop on PTO 520h

Rich16

Quickie - the PTO hoop on my '86 416-8 is well designed and the part with the pin disconnect is offset so it flips down and out of the way allowing the hoop to move out of the way without taking it off - not so on my 520h. You have to take it off completely to get to the mower belt. Not a huge big deal but....

Can I replace the 520h with this older style hoop and will it cause any problems? Why was it re-designed?

Thanx again.

Rich16

Perfect - thanks Cleat!

953 nut
2 hours ago, Rich16 said:

Can I replace the 520h with this older style hoop and will it cause any problems?

Should be a direct swap over.

2 hours ago, Rich16 said:

Why was it re-designed?

:confusion-confused:         Gotta ask Toro, they should have left well enough alone!            :bitch:

• Like 1

lynnmor

On my 520H tractors, I just pull the clevis pin and the hairpin above on the operating rod.  While the redesigned clevis is a good idea, you only save pulling the hairpin.

They might have designed it this way since some models have no clearance between the hoop and the rod to allow the hoop to swing aside.  

• Like 1

Rich16

Just bought one from a 414-8 with the offset pin from eBay - will see how it goes :-)

cleat

Even if the hoop itself will not fit, you can likely swap out the clevis (you might need to drill a hole slightly lower on the hoop).

• Like 1

Rich16

Your wisdom is unexcelled Cleat - of course that makes sense!

Not sure I'd have thought of it but you've re-assured me if the hoop doesn't fit I can still fix it :-)

For $18 it's a cheap fix and helps motivate another WH seller to keep those parts coming!

• Like 1

Rich16

Some follow-up for those who may be interested - the clevis from an 80's 416-8 IS NOT swappable with my '91 520h. So so close.

I now understand true blood WH fans (I'm one with my orig 416 indestructible Kohler) frustration with TORO.

I bought the used hoop with the 'swing' clevis and tried to remove the hoop on my '91 Toro WH and just swap 'em - if the '91 520h hoop will come out without taking off the muffler I can't figure it out.

That's just crazy 'design??'. So I did Cleat's idea and knocked out the roll pins and swapped clevis's. And it's literally 'missed it by that much...'. When the older style is put on the Toro hoop it's a bit too high - so that when you engage the blade it pulls the hoop down into the clutch - I saw sparks and thought huh? Until I realized I was eating the top inside of the hoop on the top of the clutch plates. I mean it's less than 1//8" off. So, the old one is back in.

I can always drill correctly placed holes on the other side of the older style clevis - though I'd still prefer taking the entire hoop out and just swapping them and see what happens. Should the Toro '91 hoop come off without taking off the muffler? When you raise it to clear the bottom it hits the muffler long before it's coming out - and there's no lateral wiggle room. Very frustrating and something I'm not used to with my '85.

WVHillbilly520H
4 hours ago, Rich16 said:

Some follow-up for those who may be interested - the clevis from an 80's 416-8 IS NOT swappable with my '91 520h. So so close.

I now understand true blood WH fans (I'm one with my orig 416 indestructible Kohler) frustration with TORO.

I bought the used hoop with the 'swing' clevis and tried to remove the hoop on my '91 Toro WH and just swap 'em - if the '91 520h hoop will come out without taking off the muffler I can't figure it out.

That's just crazy 'design??'. So I did Cleat's idea and knocked out the roll pins and swapped clevis's. And it's literally 'missed it by that much...'. When the older style is put on the Toro hoop it's a bit too high - so that when you engage the blade it pulls the hoop down into the clutch - I saw sparks and thought huh? Until I realized I was eating the top inside of the hoop on the top of the clutch plates. I mean it's less than 1//8" off. So, the old one is back in.

I can always drill correctly placed holes on the other side of the older style clevis - though I'd still prefer taking the entire hoop out and just swapping them and see what happens. Should the Toro '91 hoop come off without taking off the muffler? When you raise it to clear the bottom it hits the muffler long before it's coming out - and there's no lateral wiggle room. Very frustrating and something I'm not used to with my '85.

If memory serves me right on my 95 and anniversary 520s, I pulled the large hairpin cotter out at the bottom of the hoop (after the lynch pin is removed from the PTO stub)let it fall all the way down then lean/pull out at the top past the muffler then lift the hoop out :confusion-confused:... Oh I may have taken the PTO brake off as well but definitely not the muffler, Jeff.

Edited by WVHillbilly520H
  • Like 2

LengerichKA88

I’m curious as to what purpose the hoop itself serves, if anyone doesn’t mind educating me. 

WVHillbilly520H
2 hours ago, KyleLengerich said:

I’m curious as to what purpose the hoop itself serves, if anyone doesn’t mind educating me. 

The hoop is what applies pressure PTO bell/clutch through leverage from the hand operated rod, hope that that makes sense and clear as mud, Jeff.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

LengerichKA88
53 minutes ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

The hoop is what applies pressure PTO bell/clutch through leverage from the hand operated rod, hope that that makes sense and clear as mud, Jeff.

Okay, good to go. I hadn’t really noticed that it was set up different on the newer ones (from mine) until I was looking at the thread... thanks!! 

• Like 2

cleat

I recently picked up a 1984 Work Horse GT-1600 with the swing clevis.

Of course that meant I needed to see if that would fit the 520.

Hoop is slightly different so 520 hoop had to be retained.

Here are the two hoops.

7081868_OldstyleswingclevisVSnewer520clevis.JPG.fef34d6c14c25b9a80bc6fe8346d698e.JPG

I then disassembled the hoops then re-installed the 520 hoop with no clevis and installed swing clevis to PTO clutch using the 1/4" hitch pin and scribed the hoop where the roll pin needs to go (basically fully re-assembled without the roll pin).

Then a 5/32 hole was drilled on scribe line on hoop.

This is what the hoop looks like now.

1651370783_520hoopwithnew5-32holedrilledlowercenter.JPG.461adb9d188077add1220eae60b11e8b.JPG

Then clevis was installed using a 5/32 roll pin.

1291272054_Swingclevismountedto520hoop.JPG.8bf63e5044f7a71a0b4433d122525f92.JPG

Hoop was re-installed into 520 and this is how it looks now.

Clevis swung open.

2124912167_Swingclevisonopenposition.JPG.fa3922528fa8a8ca64f0111d1d52073b.JPG

Clevis closed up with 1/4" hitch pin installed.

2007439795_Swingclevisinnormalclosedposition.JPG.f98778d909f61f892e5eae3cc03fc76e.JPG

So yes, an early swing clevis can indeed be installed on a 520 hoop.

I installed the newer clevis from the 520 onto the GT-1600 hoop by following the same procedure and it works as well.

Now I need to paint everything up nice and it is done.

Cleat

Edited by cleat
  • Like 2

Rich16

Cleat - thanks much again for validating what I came across - in much more specific detail.

At first blush it seemed like a 'win' - until I actually swapped the clevis and found out what you aptly demonstrate - the hole on the swing arm of the 520 was too high for the older clevis and must move a bit lower.

Now I know exactly the best way to fix this without playing around - perfect and appreciate the photo demonstration!

Rich16

Cleat - I should have paid more attention to your initial reply to my query - you already answered it saying you have to drill the hole a bit lower on the hoop.

The photo demonstration is greatly appreciated though - always nice to see exactly what you have to do - otherwise I doubt I'd start drilling the hoop without seeing it!