PA.BOB

Best Wheel Horse to restore and collect ?

PA.BOB

To all you Wheel Horse experts ,collectors and restorers out there.  I was just wondering what you think would be the best wheel Horse to restore. And ones that are most collectable .  I  do like the style of the 1958-1959 RJ  . And the 1966 -1967's .    I was just curious  what  you all thought was the best out there to collect.  Thank you for your time. Much appreciate it.  And have a great Thanksgiving.  Bob....................

• Like 3

The Tuul Crib

:text-yeahthat: 

SylvanLakeWH

:text-yeahthat: again...

and :text-welcomeconfetti:

Edited by SylvanLakeWH

rmaynard

Totally agree with what Mike said. But just to give my humble opinion, I think that the 1974 through 1977 B/C series are the simplest and easiest to find abundant parts for. If you, for example, are restoring a B-100, almost any part from a B-80, C-100, C-120, or C-160 will work. There are some slight differences, and in the '74 and '75 B-80's you will find a few more, but that's about the extent of it.

And Happy Thanksgiving to you too.

• Like 6

ebinmaine
19 minutes ago, Mike'sHorseBarn said:

I'd say the best wheel horse to collect is whichever one you like the best.

Overall I think that's the most accurate answer.

There are some that are quite rare.

There are some that are a fair amount more powerful or more stable than others.

Those things would make certain models more collectible than others.

There is certainly going to be a very large variable in this equation called... Opinion.

It is a matter of what you are attracted to in the looks of these tractors.

Personally, I'm a big fan of the 8 horse Kohler in pretty much anything.

As far as the shape of a tractor I prefer the B or C Series.

I think it's fair to assume that Trina would put in a vote for the mid-60s like her 657.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

953 nut
44 minutes ago, PA.BOB said:

I was just curious  what  you all thought was the best out there to collect

:WRS:

As Mike and others have said, they are all built to last and your preference is what's important, not any of ours. I have a preference for the 953/1054 and others that have the larger rear wheels like the C-195 and GT-14, but that is just my opinion.

1217309584_953restoration002.JPG.6663a52c071f9d0e2ab8176c65dda167.JPG

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

buckrancher

most collectible RS83 senior RJ35 and all limited number  production tractors 754,1045,1046,520-8, 420LSE.

best for restoration IMO is early sixties round hood tractors 

• Like 3

AMC RULES

:confusion-shrug: My advise it to collect 'em all...

to accurately determine which one's are the "keepers" for you. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

WHNJ701

collect the ones you like and or mean something to you don't let others influence what your into.

I like the late 50's early 60's era of garden tractors.  I own various makes and models case, panzers, porter cable, gemco, david bradley, wheel horse etc...  lately I have be more partial to these red ones.....

• Like 2

PA.BOB
1 hour ago, Mike'sHorseBarn said:

They're all best to restore and collect. I dont mean that to be smart either, I say that because I truly mean it. They're all great machines in their own way. I personally have a love of the short frame square hood tractors, for example the 855 through the commando 8. I love the 8hp kohlers, but I've had my share of rj's too. Neat little tractors. I know this probably doesn't help much but I guess I'd say the best wheel horse to collect is whichever one you like the best.

Thanks Mike. That's what I figure . There all nice. 

• Like 1

PA.BOB
37 minutes ago, jabelman said:

collect the ones you like and or mean something to you don't let others influence what your into.

I like the late 50's early 60's era of garden tractors.  I own various makes and models case, panzers, porter cable, gemco, david bradley, wheel horse etc...  lately I have be more partial to these red ones.....

Thanks jabelman.    Bob........

PA.BOB
1 hour ago, 953 nut said:

As Mike and others have said, they are all built to last and your preference is what's important, not any of ours. I have a preference for the 953/1054 and others that have the larger rear wheels like the C-195 and GT-14, but that is just my opinion.

Thanks 953.  Bob..........

• Thanks 1

PA.BOB
1 hour ago, buckrancher said:

most collectible RS83 senior RJ35 and all limited number  production tractors 754,1045,1046,520-8, 420LSE.

best for restoration IMO is early sixties round hood tractors 

Thanks buckrancher. I appreciate your information.   I saw some pictures in your photos. You do beautiful work. I must say.  Thanks . Bob.

• Like 1

rjg854

There are certain models that seem to be in demand. Some command a good price, some don't. The 854 seems to be a sought after model so is the 500 Special, probably because they are unique and only made one year.  Myself I like the later round hoods and the 60's tractors. The square hoods. It's more the looks than anything else.  Easy to work on, very simple design but rugged and dependable.  That's my :twocents-twocents:

WHNJ701
20 minutes ago, rjg854 said:

There are certain models that seem to be in demand. Some command a good price, some don't. The 854 seems to be a sought after model so is the 500 Special, probably because they are unique and only made one year.  Myself I like the later round hoods and the 60's tractors. The square hoods. It's more the looks than anything else.  Easy to work on, very simple design but rugged and dependable.  That's my :twocents-twocents:

I will agree the 854 is my favorite and the best looking wheelhorse made

Chris G

I agree go for what appeals to you. But I do think all horses are worth restoring and collecting. Also happy thanksgiving to you as well.

DennisThornton

This is not an answer, just a thought or two. 

Certainly something unusual is best, and something workable but not worked! 

But I think big part is how well it's done and how close to original is ends up.  Having a common model that's uncommonly nice is, well, very nice! 

And certainly a collectible! 

Edited by DennisThornton
"not"
  • Like 1

stevebo

I personally don’t like to have any restored unless they have been previously repainted. That being said I would only restore those that someone else has already attempted to restore. 

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

LengerichKA88

I agree with most everyone, the one(s) that speaks to you are the ones that matter. 

I would love to eventually get my hands on a 500 Special, but I’m in Indianapolis and grew up around the Indy 500/ Brickyard 400. I would also like to have one of the big D series eventually. The one years and odd balls are cool, but if it makes you happy, that’s all that matters. 

PA.BOB
On ‎11‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 10:46 AM, ebinmaine said:

Overall I think that's the most accurate answer.

There are some that are quite rare.

There are some that are a fair amount more powerful or more stable than others.

Those things would make certain models more collectible than others.

There is certainly going to be a very large variable in this equation called... Opinion.

It is a matter of what you are attracted to in the looks of these tractors.

Personally, I'm a big fan of the 8 horse Kohler in pretty much anything.

As far as the shape of a tractor I prefer the B or C Series.

I think it's fair to assume that Trina would put in a vote for the mid-60s like her 657.

Thanks Eb.

• Like 1

PA.BOB
5 hours ago, Lengerich8 said:

I agree with most everyone, the one(s) that speaks to you are the ones that matter. 

I would love to eventually get my hands on a 500 Special, but I’m in Indianapolis and grew up around the Indy 500/ Brickyard 400. I would also like to have one of the big D series eventually. The one years and odd balls are cool, but if it makes you happy, that’s all that matters. 

5 hours ago, Lengerich8 said:

Thanks Lengerich8.  Your rite . what ever makes you happy.  Bob.

• Excellent 1

PA.BOB
On ‎11‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 11:14 AM, 953 nut said:

Thanks 953 .

• Thanks 1

PA.BOB
On ‎11‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 2:15 PM, rjg854 said:

Thanks rjg854 .  Bob....

PA.BOB
21 hours ago, DennisThornton said:

This is an answer, just a thought or two. 

Certainly something unusual is best, and something workable but not worked! 

But I think big part is how well it's done and how close to original is ends up.  Having a common model that's uncommonly nice is, well, very nice! 

And certainly a collectible! 

I agree with you  on that one also.  Thanks Dennis. Bob...