upstate yank

UPDATE on the older tractor with the Briggs motor

upstate yank
Just now, craftsmanmowerfreak said:

Ird no garrentee it will work but worth a shot I have had good luck doing it though

any thing is worth a try really'thanks again 

upstate yank
On 11/21/2018 at 11:55 PM, craftsmanmowerfreak said:

In my opinion they have just has much torque has a k181 Kohler. The down side of the Briggs is its light compared to a Kohler and will pick up the front of it

yep that is so true as i had it running the other day and drove it around the yard ;once i moved the lever to the forward boy did the front wheel want to go in the air ;it sure is powerfully that's for sure;now if i can get that small set screw  to move i can adjust the neutral ;it might be some one else tried and stripped it but i will keep trying ;but now with this darn cold weather each day it will have to wait ;again i feel for the 100 i paid plus the trip from Springfield mo to the st' Louis area and back ;i left at 9 in the morning arrived home at 3 on the dot as i told the mrs i would ;really sad though after close to 40 years of trucking 48 state and Canada with logging over 300.000 plus miles it should had been a breeze but after retiring a few years back i really don't care for those miles any more 'but in the end the ride was worth it ;saving any horse is sure worth it rather then the junk yard ;i grew up with these horses and at one time i had over 6 in the barn plus most attachments but once i went trucking i did not have the time for them and i felt my family came first so i sold them off ;boy could i kick my self now' but that is life we have to make tough decisions at times ;what is more important family or a piece of steel ;i choose my family ;but heck i am back now with 7 more 'one day when i am gone as we never know our time as we are only here for short time it is up to the guy upstairs to make that decision but being the age of 68 i take each day as it rolls by but i want to pass these fine old reds to my boys and hope they will appreciate these fine old machines as i have plus so many others who collect them and restore them as they sure are worth it'

Elkskin's mower junkyard
29 minutes ago, upstate yank said:

yep that is so true as i had it running the other day and drove it around the yard ;once i moved the lever to the forward boy did the front wheel want to go in the air ;it sure is powerfully that's for sure;now if i can get that small set screw  to move i can adjust the neutral ;it might be some one else tried and stripped it but i will keep trying ;but now with this darn cold weather each day it will have to wait ;again i feel for the 100 i paid plus the trip from Springfield mo to the st' Louis area and back ;i left at 9 in the morning arrived home at 3 on the dot as i told the mrs i would ;really sad though after close to 40 years of trucking 48 state and Canada with logging over 300.000 plus miles it should had been a breeze but after retiring a few years back i really don't care for those miles any more 'but in the end the ride was worth it ;saving any horse is sure worth it rather then the junk yard ;i grew up with these horses and at one time i had over 6 in the barn plus most attachments but once i went trucking i did not have the time for them and i felt my family came first so i sold them off ;boy could i kick my self now' but that is life we have to make tough decisions at times ;what is more important family or a piece of steel ;i choose my family ;but heck i am back now with 7 more 'one day when i am gone as we never know our time as we are only here for short time it is up to the guy upstairs to make that decision but being the age of 68 i take each day as it rolls by but i want to pass these fine old reds to my boys and hope they will appreciate these fine old machines as i have plus so many others who collect them and restore them as they sure are worth it'

Yea I hear you. I am 27 soon 28 and with my medical getting out of bed is hard at times because of my back (scoliosis) and I got other issues too. We are battling to get me disability. But I still tinker in shed just at slow pace. Heck other day friend took me to Plymouth to get a 62 wheel horse sadly it was to beat up to fix so I used it for parts for my 552 which now has a k181 Kohler and a s\g with battery ignition. Been saving parts to do something like this

20181204_151957.jpg

20181201_201355.jpg

20181201_185559.jpg

• Like 2

upstate yank
4 minutes ago, craftsmanmowerfreak said:

Yea I hear you. I am 27 soon 28 and with my medical getting out of bed is hard at times because of my back (scoliosis) and I got other issues too. We are battling to get me disability. But I still tinker in shed just at slow pace. Heck other day friend took me to Plymouth to get a 62 wheel horse sadly it was to beat up to fix so I used it for parts for my 552 which now has a k181 Kohler and a s\g with battery ignition. Been saving parts to do something like this

20181204_151957.jpg

20181201_201355.jpg

20181201_185559.jpg

upstate yank

sorry about your health but we still can tinker with these find old reds 'again any horse is worth saving rather then go to the junk yard even if they are for parts one day 'most can take there john deer's the so called MTD'S sears and more plus other junks and scrape them but a horse is worth saving 'i wish as i mentioned that i never sold the ones i had ;but now again even at my age i will enjoy them all ;tin verses metal does not work ;thanks for the reply and i hope things work out for you 

Elkskin's mower junkyard
15 minutes ago, upstate yank said:

sorry about your health but we still can tinker with these find old reds 'again any horse is worth saving rather then go to the junk yard even if they are for parts one day 'most can take there john deer's the so called MTD'S sears and more plus other junks and scrape them but a horse is worth saving 'i wish as i mentioned that i never sold the ones i had ;but now again even at my age i will enjoy them all ;tin verses metal does not work ;thanks for the reply and i hope things work out for you 

yea i dont like newer stuff. yea i got alot of older sears from 70s and 60s. they are my workers mainly. wheel horses dont do alot around in my yard. the older sears are just a little tougher than wheel horse. i find. and attachments are more available in my area for the sears. i have a 3 point tiller 3 point mold board and 3 point grader i use alot. one sears i dont rough house because i have broke the front axle on it and had to fix it but it was broke before but i did it correctly fixing the main issue. sears are harder to work on though electrical is burried on the suburbans. the one that broke the axle is a custom which was the cheap garden tractor back in the day. but that one was my dads second favorite tractor so i keep it going one day ill do a restore on it. dads favorite tractor was his 502 wheel horse one that started it for me :) and we redone it right before my dad died last year due to lung cancer.

Edited by craftsmanmowerfreak

ohiofarmer

I have a model that looks like yours and I could not tell what it was.  Retired Wrencher  told me where to find the identifying tag. It is right under the center of the dash board on the dash tower and held on with two rivets.

Bet that yours id still there.  The last four numbers on the top line of numbers is your model number.