upstate yank

UPDATE on the older tractor with the Briggs motor

upstate yank

i was able to day to get the old tractor off the truck today ;the one with the Briggs motor that was replaced from a kohler 'the year i  was told it was made  back in the 66-67 era ' model number still not sure of  ;as the only numbers i have are off the fly wheel shroud  which again are # B-703866 or if it is a 8 horse or bigger 'but anyways after unloading it and starting it first pull 'boy did it fire up ;both the choke and throttle cables are froze up ;so i added a small piece of wire to the middle of the throttle linkage and the old thing ran fine   ;then i took it for a spin around the yard a few times  and i was really impressed as the power it had ;then i engaged the mower deck which ran fine with no noises or no bad spindles other then it could use a good greasing' and blade changing; the braking does need adjusting which is no big thing either as it creeps in neutral 'checking the oil i really do not see a dip stick  as in the front of the motor is where you add the oil and behind the block on its right side is where you check the oil level ' but in all for a 100.00 bucks i didn't go wrong ;changing the transmission filter and oil would help as well' again i want to thank the ones that did reply 'there is nothing like having 7 horses in the barn ;

00g0g_fY3RMzuj3DW_600x450.jpg

00k0k_6RG7HfkU4V0_600x450 (1).jpg

00O0O_1ypYHSGeJ52_600x450.jpg

thumbnail_image1.jpg

thumbnail_image2.jpg

thumbnail_image3.jpg

• Like 5
  • Excellent 2

oliver2-44

Tinker with it to get the little things fixed and a little maintenance and you will have a great old horse.  

• Like 2

Blackhood Bill

Nice find

Elkskin's mower junkyard

The 8hp alluminum Briggs are good powerful engines. People don't like them though because of the updrafts carb. You have to know what you are doing with them. But once right they are just about unstoppable

• Like 3

upstate yank
56 minutes ago, oliver2-44 said:

Tinker with it to get the little things fixed and a little maintenance and you will have a great old horse.  

oh well do i know that no matter the motor it is a horse made out of steel not like the junk they sell today ;yep in time with the small items it needs it will be a strong runner ;thanks for your reply back and now i have 7 horses in the barn'we are addicted to these fine old horses

• Like 2

upstate yank
56 minutes ago, craftsmanmowerfreak said:

The 8hp alluminum Briggs are good powerful engines. People don't like them though because of the updrafts carb. You have to know what you are doing with them. But once right they are just about unstoppable

thanks for your reply and so far i am content with it ;sure it not a kohler but it runs great ;so i wonder if i got my 100 bucks worth 

Elkskin's mower junkyard
21 minutes ago, upstate yank said:

thanks for your reply and so far i am content with it ;sure it not a kohler but it runs great ;so i wonder if i got my 100 bucks worth 

In my opinion they have just has much torque has a k181 Kohler. The down side of the Briggs is its light compared to a Kohler and will pick up the front of it

• Like 1

Blackhood Bill

I'm. It an expert just a newbe but I think you got your monies worth

Blackhood Bill
Just now, Whnewone said:

I'm not an expert just a newbe but I think you got your monies worth

• Like 1

upstate yank
1 hour ago, Whnewone said:

Nice find

thank you; in time i will get it like new day by day as we know we can not kill these horses as they are made strong not like the ones the dealers pass off on us really junk and tin' i have been a horse fan from way back to the age of 14 but after years of getting married to my high school sweetheart and still after 49 years still the best thing i did ; but i gave up trucking  after close to 40 years over the road 48 state and canadadue to my youngest daughter  being killed by a drunk driver i couldn't handle it any more so i gave it up  now that i have retired i stay close to my kids and now again collect the horses

upstate yank
29 minutes ago, Whnewone said:

yep i think so ;thanks for your reply

WHNJ701
8 hours ago, craftsmanmowerfreak said:

there is no big mystery to those carbs biggest thing is they come apart 1 way only and they are prone to warping.  I always sand the 2 halves with a piece of plate glass

• Excellent 1

LengerichKA88

If you find that you’re unhappy with it, I will gladly write you a check for 101.00 😂😂

nice find, whatever you decide to do with it will be better than letting it sit, that’s for sure! 

• Like 1

Elkskin's mower junkyard
1 hour ago, jabelman said:

there is no big mystery to those carbs biggest thing is they come apart 1 way only and they are prone to warping.  I always sand the 2 halves with a piece of plate glass

people dont understand how they come apart lol

KC9KAS

@upstate yank That looks a lot like my 875.....1965 8 hp electric start Kohler/hydro...1st hydro in the Wheel Horse line-up.

• Like 1

upstate yank

again thanks guys for the feed back and after getting it running yesterday i will keep it ;im going to take the deck off changed the blades and a good greasing ;now i have 7 horses in the barn hehehe

upstate yank

thanks again for the feed back ;i will keep it with the other 6 horses i have'

upstate yank
3 hours ago, KC9KAS said:

@upstate yank That looks a lot like my 875.....1965 8 hp electric start Kohler/hydro...1st hydro in the Wheel Horse line-up.

it could be the same as what you have ;a picture would be great if you could send one so i can compare ;thanks for the reply 

upstate yank
4 hours ago, Lengerich8 said:

If you find that you’re unhappy with it, I will gladly write you a check for 101.00 😂😂

nice find, whatever you decide to do with it will be better than letting it sit, that’s for sure! 

thanks for the offer but i will add it to the other 6 i have in the garage ;yep that is true not letting it sit and rust ;

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Sarge

I'd bet what you have there is an 877. Correct parking brake, hood and belt guard. Steering wheel is wrong - should be a small 2-spoke one but those often got broken/cracked and replaced with later model wheels.

Don't discount it's power, with that hydro it's a very short and highly maneuverable little Horse that will serve you well. Put some wheel weights on it and the 42" plow - you'll be surprised what it can push.

Sarge

• Like 2

Tankman
1 hour ago, Sarge said:

Don't discount it's power, with that hydro it's a very short and highly maneuverable little Horse that will serve you well. Put some wheel weights on it and the 42" plow - you'll be surprised what it can push.

Sarge

Turned earth years ago, similar setup. Great deal you found! Very nice!

Pushed a lot of wet white cold junque too!    :handgestures-thumbupright:

My sons took over, their first Horse. I made the front bumper to hang weights, kept the Horse down while turning the gardens. :ROTF:

Down boy!

AJ-Horse.png.a59d9198d024f45541718e3b0e182c46.png

• Like 2

upstate yank

thanks again guys for the replies on the old girl again yesterday i was able to get it off the truck and it started the  first time with a little choking and the throttle wow did it run so fine and a ride around the yard a few times 'though i need to get new cables as these ones are really froze up ;heck i even engaged the deck and no chattering ;the pan was set to high so it really didn't cut very well ;leaves that is every wheres 'but heck it works great;then to remove the deck and replace the blades ' i will need to adjust the neural as it rolls once the pedal is down but that isn't a big thing to do ;yep i know it is not the correct steering wheel but it works for me 'due to the care that some of these old horse go though people do change things due to busting certain items and not really taking care of them ;and yes for the 100.00 and the ride it was well worth it ;to save any horse is the right thing to do ; 7 in the barn and i am a very happy camper 'horse of course '

Elkskin's mower junkyard
44 minutes ago, upstate yank said:

thanks again guys for the replies on the old girl again yesterday i was able to get it off the truck and it started the  first time with a little choking and the throttle wow did it run so fine and a ride around the yard a few times 'though i need to get new cables as these ones are really froze up ;heck i even engaged the deck and no chattering ;the pan was set to high so it really didn't cut very well ;leaves that is every wheres 'but heck it works great;then to remove the deck and replace the blades ' i will need to adjust the neural as it rolls once the pedal is down but that isn't a big thing to do ;yep i know it is not the correct steering wheel but it works for me 'due to the care that some of these old horse go though people do change things due to busting certain items and not really taking care of them ;and yes for the 100.00 and the ride it was well worth it ;to save any horse is the right thing to do ; 7 in the barn and i am a very happy camper 'horse of course '

Take coating off the cables if they have any. Take cables off tractor and put them in a coffee can and fill it up with trans fluid. Soak for couple days then take them out and bend cables around a bit to break rust free. Then try pulling on them (note throttle maybe a locking one so be careful)

• Like 1

upstate yank
52 minutes ago, craftsmanmowerfreak said:

Take coating off the cables if they have any. Take cables off tractor and put them in a coffee can and fill it up with trans fluid. Soak for couple days then take them out and bend cables around a bit to break rust free. Then try pulling on them (note throttle maybe a locking one so be careful)

thanks so much for the advise as if this works it sure would be cheaper then new cables 'yes they still have the coatings on them and yep the throttle cable could be locked the other issue it runs great other than the adjustments on the neutral 'i will let you know when i can as the weather is getting colder here ;

Elkskin's mower junkyard
2 minutes ago, upstate yank said:

thanks so much for the advise as if this works it sure would be cheaper then new cables 'yes they still have the coatings on them and yep the throttle cable could be locked the other issue it runs great other than the adjustments on the neutral 'i will let you know when i can as the weather is getting colder here ;

It's no garrentee it will work but worth a shot I have had good luck doing it though

Edited by craftsmanmowerfreak
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1