LengerichKA88

Holiday Traditions

LengerichKA88

My grandpa used to bake pies like tomorrow was the end of the world. He baked Dutch apple pies by the hundreds (yes, hundreds) of his churches yearly bizzare, and they were always sold out, at 8 bucks a pie, before the day was through. The one thing he didn’t usually do was write his recipes down. He was the middle son of a dairy farmer, and learned most of his recipes from his mom, who didn’t measure or write down a thing either. One recipe that managed to get written down was his Rhubarb Cream Pie recipe. I didn’t like it as a kid, but as an adult, I’ve craved that pie for almost ten years (he passed in February of 2009). This past season I put Rhubarb in here at the house, and I made myself a rhubarb cream pie a few months back. It tasted like it had come from my grandparents kitchen. You always knew it was getting close to Christmas as Paw Paw would make them in the fall. This year for thanksgiving, I’m making another one. We’re hosting this year, and we’re expecting 13, so this pie may not last very long, but I’m happy to carry on the tradition of baking a completely from scratch pie, with rhubarb that I grew. 

Since tomorrow is the big day for waist lines everywhere, feel free to share what you’ve got cooking, or getting ready to cook, that is a staple at your families table this time of year. 

92141FE2-693B-48A2-9978-FA78FF6CAD99.jpeg

The picture with the filling is too large a file, but I did put the filling in BEFORE I put it in the oven 😂

Edited by Lengerich8
  • Like 5

rjg854

Venison back strap instead of the turkey has always been a favorite here.

• Like 5

LengerichKA88
8 minutes ago, rjg854 said:

Venison back strap instead of the turkey has always been a favorite here.

If enough people would eat it, I’d do duck instead, never been a fan of turkey myself.  

• Like 2

stevasaurus

Funny you should mention duck.  I don't do it every year, but I have a recipe for 2 ducks.  They are marinated (over night) in Sheffield's Port wine, along with some onion, carrots, garlic and salt and pepper.  You then roast the ducks and boil down some of the marinade to make a thickened sauce.  Top Shelf   :occasion-xmas:

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

LengerichKA88
2 minutes ago, stevasaurus said:

Funny you should mention duck.  I don't do it every year, but I have a recipe for 2 ducks.  They are marinated (over night) in Sheffield's Port wine, along with some onion, carrots, garlic and salt and pepper.  You then roast the ducks and boil down some of the marinade to make a thickened sauce.  Top Shelf   :occasion-xmas:

Aaaaaaaaaaand now my stomachs growling 😂

That does sound good, but I’ve never met a duck I wouldn’t eat. 

• Like 2

stevasaurus

Well, OK...here is one for New Years Eve and New Years Day.  This is a deep dish pizza, cooked in a 16" cast iron skillet.  It layers with Mozzarella, tomato bits, pepperoni, browned hamburger, garlic, green pepper, onion, green olives, salt, oregano, basil, thyme and topped with Mozzarella and Parmisian cheese.  Bakes for 45 minutes at 400.  House smells excellent. 

2009_1209Brrly10001.JPG

• Like 1
  • Excellent 5

LengerichKA88

Were gunna have to try that out!

• Like 1

WHNJ701

I will admit it I am not a fan of the thanksgiving meal.  I would be much happier with Chinese take out

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

LengerichKA88
14 minutes ago, jabelman said:

I will admit it I am not a fan of the thanksgiving meal.  I would be much happier with Chinese take out

Me neither, not things like Oyster Stuffing (without fail I always got stuffing from the wrong dish as a kid lol), Turkey, and cranberry sauce.now that I’m the one doing the majority of the cooking, by the time it’s all said and done it all tastes so bland because I’ve been smelling it for hours and hours. 

I will fight to the death for Greenbean Casserole though 😂

Edited by Lengerich8
  • Like 1

ClassicTractorProfessor
2 hours ago, jabelman said:

Me neither, I'd much rather fire up the grill and cook a hamburger or two, will probably spend the weekend working in my shop on some sort of project...not a fan of the traditional meal at all, nor am I a big fan of the large groups of people who come along with the big meal

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

LengerichKA88
29 minutes ago, Professor1990 said:

Me neither, I'd much rather fire up the grill and cook a hamburger or two, will probably spend the weekend working in my shop on some sort of project...not a fan of the traditional meal at all, nor am I a big fan of the large groups of people who come along with the big meal

Your comment made me think of a picture I saw late last week, it said “We need 6 months between Thanksgiving and Christmas, it’s ridiculous that I have to see these people again so soon.” 😂😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Achto

While I enjoy seeing everyone, I have to admit that I am glad when every one heads home & I can have some quiet time :). I've had my turkey soaking in a beer based brine since last night, it will be going in the smoker at about 4:00am so that it will be ready for dinner at noon. 

Happy Thanksgiving all.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 3
  • Thanks 1

953 nut

Prior to my Father-in-law's passing we would all gather at his house for Thanksgiving. My wife and I would come on Wednesday and I would bake two Pumpkin, one Cherry and one Apple pie.

Thursday morning we would fix the Waldorf Salad and my wife would always manage to stop up the garbage disposal, just seemed to be part of the holiday tradition. After about three years of this happening I took a look at the way the plumbing had been installed and discovered the problem. A quick trip to the home improvement store and there were no more stopped up drains.   :confusion-confused:   I thought I had done a good thing, but it seems I had broken a long standing tradition.      :hide:

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

LengerichKA88
36 minutes ago, Achto said:

While I enjoy seeing everyone, I have to admit that I am glad when every one heads home & I can have some quiet time :). I've had my turkey soaking in a beer based brine since last night, it will be going in the smoker at about 4:00am so that it will be ready for dinner at noon. 

Happy Thanksgiving all.

I’m the same way, “Glad I got to see ya, also glad to see ya grab your coat.”😂

I thought about brining my bird, but two years ago was my first turkey, and my mom said it was the best turkey she’d ever had, last year she said the same thing. I think it’s because I’m indifferent to how it turns out, so I don’t stress over it and ruin it lol. If it ain’t broke.... 

6 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

Prior to my Father-in-law's passing we would all gather at his house for Thanksgiving. My wife and I would come on Wednesday and I would bake two Pumpkin, one Cherry and one Apple pie.

Thursday morning we would fix the Waldorf Salad and my wife would always manage to stop up the garbage disposal, just seemed to be part of the holiday tradition. After about three years of this happening I took a look at the way the plumbing had been installed and discovered the problem. A quick trip to the home improvement store and there were no more stopped up drains.   :confusion-confused:   I thought I had done a good thing, but it seems I had broken a long standing tradition.      :hide:

I’ve done similar things before... trot out with a grin on my face because here I am winning brownie points for taking initiative and helping out, turns out I screwed up something else (like tradition) 😂

Must not have upset them too badly, you were invited back right? 🤣😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

LengerichKA88

@Achto “beer based brine” just made me remember another family specialty that you, and others, might enjoy:Grammys BBQ Chicken Gizards

2lbs of Chicken Gizzards

2 12oz Beers of your choice (I use Budweiser or Yuengling)

Cook On low, over night, in the beer, preferably outside as the smell is strong. 

In the morning drain drain off the beer, cover with BBQ and cook another four hours on low. 

They melt in your mouth. 

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Achto
2 minutes ago, Lengerich8 said:

Yuengling

I have to make another trip out east!! I really like Yuengling but it's not sold up here.:(

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

LengerichKA88
8 minutes ago, Achto said:

I have to make another trip out east!! I really like Yuengling but it's not sold up here.:(

I’d never had it till I was at Camp Lejune, but I was really excited when it came to Indiana.

• Like 1

WHNJ701
2 hours ago, Professor1990 said:

sounds like a plan we hide in shop.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

ClassicTractorProfessor

That's where I'll be...in the shop or in the tow truck...hopefully the shop

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

oliver2-44

We had the family gathering last weekend. 

I just harvested a buck today and tomorrow I'm going to try to smoke some pork and deer ribs like my father-in-law used to do. Every Thanksgiving he always had deer, hog, turkey, duck, fish, and anything else he could find to throw on the BBQ pit, what a feast. 

So here's his deer/pork rib method!  

Season pork and deer ribs with his homemade dry rub.

Place deer ribs on grill bone down.

Lay several strips of bacon on top of deer ribs

Lay pork ribs bone down on top of bacon/deer ribs

The idea is for the pork ribs to drip on to the lean deer ribs and keep them moist/marinated as they smoke.

I'll report back tomorrow!

• Like 3

Razorback
9 hours ago, stevasaurus said:

Well, OK...here is one for New Years Eve and New Years Day.  This is a deep dish pizza, cooked in a 16" cast iron skillet.  It layers with Mozzarella, tomato bits, pepperoni, browned hamburger, garlic, green pepper, onion, green olives, salt, oregano, basil, thyme and topped with Mozzarella and Parmisian cheese.  Bakes for 45 minutes at 400.  House smells excellent. 

2009_1209Brrly10001.JPG

Good grief!!!!! That looks soooooooooooo good!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Razorback

Here’s mine.....

Regardless of whether we are home or visiting elsewhere for Thanksgiving, I like to make pumpkin pies. And, I like a spicey pie.... it needs to come out brown, not orange!

Pretty tastey!

2C193FF5-65DB-48C9-846A-F220E1D9CE04.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

LengerichKA88
7 hours ago, Razorback said:

Here’s mine.....

Regardless of whether we are home or visiting elsewhere for Thanksgiving, I like to make pumpkin pies. And, I like a spicey pie.... it needs to come out brown, not orange!

Pretty tastey!

2C193FF5-65DB-48C9-846A-F220E1D9CE04.jpeg

I gotta story about brown pumpkin pie lol

my grandpa used to grow butternut squash. His sister in law was visiting and asked why he was growing “garbage food”. She said that only poor people ate butternut squash. He loved it, and used in in a lot of different things. He told her “I could make you a pie outta this and you’d never know.”

Next time they were over from Chicago he made her a pumpkin pie. Everyone loved His pumpkin pie, and this time was no exception. It wasn’t till after she’d eaten it he told her he made it with butternut squash instead. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

clueless

Today, Fried Turkey, Roasted Capon (desocialized rooster), Oyster and Andouille Sausage Dressing (from North Carolina down it's called dressing), Mac and Cheese, Collard Greens with Ham Hock, Green Beans, Cat Head Biscuits, and Sweet Tea (It is the South). The desserts and salad will consist of what ever the good Kinfolk bring. Plenty of left overs for the other Kinfolk to take home (we all got'em). Y'all have a great day :thumbs:

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

cschannuth

I'm not a big Turkey fan but we go to my wife's aunt and uncle's house every year.  He deep fries two turkeys.  One is cajun and it is delicious.  They feed about 20 of us and I love going.  On my side of the family we always went to my folk's house on Friday evening and we usually had something other than Turkey to avoid the Turkey overload.  Mom and Dad are both passed now so my wife and I have Thanksgiving and my brother and his wife host at Christmas.  We still do something other than turkey and this year we did a Cajun Bake.  We fill large baking pans with shrimp, andouille sausage, baby potatoes, corn on the cob, and onions with plenty of spices.  We did that last night and it was really good.

It sounds corny but I'm thankful for this forum.  It allows me to have a fun hobby without breaking the bank with all the knowledge shared here.  Happy Thanksgiving!

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2
  • Thanks 2