Sign in to follow this  
bc.gold

Mystery Tractor

bc.gold

This tractor was offered to me for $100.00, was left on property that my neighbors son in law purchased a few years ago. They had it running two years  ago but said it was running rough with an engine miss, no one knew what brand of tractor it is.

It was the rear rims and the engine that gave it away, some of you might be old enough to remember the postal service used these two wheel drive Jeeps to deliver rural mail. The early Jeeps used a four cylinder Chevy engine, due to its durability earned the nic name of the Iron Duke, many of these engines found service as inboard outboard marine engines.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_Duke_engine

The little gem lived 4 hours one way from my home, I actually had a trailer hooked to my truck and was prepared to leave first thing in the morning but sometime during the night common sense told me that with one Simplicity 9020 and an Allis 720 I did not need another tractor project.

I offered it to another fellow from one of the Simple forums who lived much closer than I, he jumped on the deal.

The fellow who built this home made tractor did a really nice job of it.

jeep.png

1.png

2.png

3.png

• Like 6
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

Pullstart

I like the fender signals :D

looks like a heck of a deal, especially if it has the Iron Duke, it should be easy to get it running top notch!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Chris G

id say its a great deal for that price and id be going to get it.

• Like 1

bc.gold
3 hours ago, Chris G said:

id say its a great deal for that price and id be going to get it.

Yea my thoughts to and had  actually borrowed a trailer from Vern's AG and had it hooked up to my truck for an early morning departure but during the night had a change of heart, I passed the offer forward to another forum member at simple tractors who jumped on it.

On the GT side of things I already have a Simplicity 9020 with a snow thrower, mower deck and a tiller, Allis Chalmers 720 with an arc loader and another mower deck and a green and yellow machine that I use to butcher my lawn.

Then there's the other projects I have on the go, restoring an 1996 Dakota, the 1992 Silverado wood gas project, building a still to recover essential oils, trying out various frequency ultrasonic transducers to recover precious metals from catalytic converters. And the Kohler 6.5 kw generator with the Lister to overhaul.

Some of the reasons that helped me change my mind on the mystery tractor, the rear differential has been shortened along with the axles with out seeing the workmanship maybe the guy just cut the axles then slipped a pipe over the cut  ends to weld them back together.

The simple member was looking for a front end loader for his Allis 720 and it looked to me this mystery loader was a copy of the Arc.

arc.png

Edited by bcgold
  • Like 2