Sparky

My back up snow rig

ebinmaine
7 hours ago, Sparky said:

steel pipe flanges

Can you elaborate on that?

I use fluid and weights and chains and could actually use more here on the mountain.

SylvanLakeWH

Nice C-105!

Mine is ready as well!

IMG_1620.jpg

• Like 2

Retired Wrencher

That will work Mike. Always good to have a back up plane. I have three snow blowers. I like walking.

• Like 1

Retired Wrencher
On 11/20/2018 at 8:46 PM, Sparky said:

Snow plowing and the harsh weather can take its toll on our (my) machines...so I always have a second plow tractor ready and waiting in the shed. 

Ive sold off quite a bit of my stock and only have two machines that I would want to work hard and plow with. So my C-105 gets the job of second fiddle. 

Two ply turfs in the rear with 50# weights on the outside and steel pipe flanges that weigh in around 18# on the inside of the rim. With 65-68 pounds I can avoid chains. 

Pics of course....

EF027ACD-1626-4975-8FD3-23CBB75088CE.jpeg

7F73E6C4-C966-4FB7-A2E3-49FA02340788.jpeg

C890E846-508F-4817-81F6-F53EBDDBC5ED.jpeg

0BFE54C5-8F2E-4AF4-921B-1077377A6B3A.jpeg

FB389BF5-2E78-4B28-9C82-2C84EDE32BB4.jpeg

Those tiers must of been fun to put on Mike. Ohh my back!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Sparky
11 hours ago, Retired Wrencher said:

Those tiers must of been fun to put on Mike. Ohh my back!

Yeah… not fun. I fiddle with the floor Jack till the rear hub is right at the correct height to shimmy the wheel on. 

• Like 1

Wild Bill 633
13 hours ago, Sparky said:

Yeah… not fun. I fiddle with the floor Jack till the rear hub is right at the correct height to shimmy the w

Try replacing the lug bolts with grade 8 full thread bolts with red loctite and lugnuts. Just like a car/truck.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

cleat

All of my machines are set up this way.

Makes wheel mounting so much easier.

I use blue loctite so I can get the bolts out if required and have never had one move.

481300868_Wheelstudboltspartlyinstalled1.JPG.c506da650ff376349859f299b120f3b8.JPG

1947583738_Wheelstudboltsloctitedandfullyinstalled1.JPG.237aa640f340ee72bdf7e82d4eec6e81.JPG

1900322323_Wheelstudboltsloctitedandfullyinstalled2.JPG.d0880c61559813bdd012e58c72ffce7f.JPG

I bought a bunch of open ended chrome lug nuts because I like the look.

2145506393_Rearwheelsinstalled1.JPG.1884c1660e13f41ef64d856c70826aa1.JPG

No extra thread out past the nut so I will be disqualified from the drag race track but for mowing grass it's perfect.

• Excellent 6

peter lena

cleat

When I worked at the chemical plant I threw these out by the dozen.

Most were stainless steel.

Never thought to bring them home.

Oh well, live and learn.

• Like 1

ebinmaine
5 hours ago, Wild Bill 633 said:

red loctite

4 hours ago, cleat said:

blue loctite

We started doing the same thing here as far as the fully threaded bolts but I've never put Loctite on any of mine.

I figure if the bolt backs out or breaks off I already have worse problems.

4 hours ago, cleat said:

stainless steel

I've tried using stainless and had very poor luck. Usually we use grade 5 but I've also done grade 8. Fine either way. I found stainless galled up too easily.

4 hours ago, cleat said:

No extra thread out past the nut so I will be disqualified from the drag race track

You guys have a lot of 7 mph+/- drag racing out there?

😀

cleat

I mean the flanges were stainless steel.

Wheel bolts are all grade 5 or 8

• Thanks 1

Sparky
8 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

I've tried using stainless and had very poor luck. Usually we use grade 5 but I've also done grade 8. Fine either way. I found stainless galled up too easily.

😀

Umm…what? 
Galled???? 

• Like 1

cleat

Well this has gone somewhat off topic.

The stainless steel remark originally was for blind pipe flanges used as weight.

However, stainless bolts can roll up bits of metal into the nuts or threaded holes essentially welding them in place.

This is the galling.

Lubricant such as never seize or even oil or grease can reduce or stop this from happening.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8ntruck

@ebinmaine - if a bolt backs oit or breaks, your problems are probably insufficient torque, broken hub, or broken wheel, or possibly either the mounting surface of the wheel or hub not being flat.

• Like 1

ebinmaine
6 hours ago, cleat said:

Well this has gone somewhat off topic.

The stainless steel remark originally was for blind pipe flanges used as weight.

However, stainless bolts can roll up bits of metal into the nuts or threaded holes essentially welding them in place.

This is the galling.

Lubricant such as never seize or even oil or grease can reduce or stop this from happening.

Off topic?

Us?

🙂

Excellent description there Cleat. Thank you.  

I'll have to remember that grease next time I see stainless bolts.  

midpack

I've had trouble with stainless bolts loosening. I used some on headers on my Mustang. They were constantly coming loose. Swapped them for "header bolts" years ago. Never came loose again. I've seen it with other applications, but that was the most annoying 😑 

• Like 1

cleat

That is why I like to use stainless fasteners for things like dash screws rear fender etc. that are not under real stress.

Things like the brake drum, engine mounts etc. I use grade 5 or possibly 8.

When I worked at the chemical plant we had a lot of stainless piping but the majority of the bolting was B7 (similar to grade 8) studs and nuts because stainless steel was not strong enough.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wheelhorse#1

Ive been wanting to do this to my machines.What size bolts are you guys useing on the hub ? 

ebinmaine
1 minute ago, Wheelhorse#1 said:

Ive been wanting to do this to my machines.What size bolts are you guys useing on the hub ? 

7/16-20 x 1 1/2" long. Or longer. 

Fully threaded. 

Bolt Depot in Hingham Mass stocks them. 

You'll need lug nuts too. 

Order those by size and you'll find quite a few available on fleeeeBay.  Open , closed, various colors etc.  

Wheelhorse#1
2 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

7/16-20 x 1 1/2" long. Or longer. 

Fully threaded. 

Bolt Depot in Hingham Mass stocks them. 

You'll need lug nuts too. 

Order those by size and you'll find quite a few available on fleeeeBay.  Open , closed, various colors etc.  

Thanks Eric 

Im ordering some up now .Been useing bolt depot for quite a wile now ,great prices and shipping too. 

• Like 1

Handy Don
21 minutes ago, Wheelhorse#1 said:

Been useing bolt depot for quite a wile now ,great prices and shipping too. 

I was in the BD’s vicinity for other reasons earlier this year and so I decided to stop in and check the place out.

It’s kinda like a fast food place in that you go to the counter, a friendly and helpful clerk takes your order and your money, you sit down and wait a few minutes and then bang--there’s your order all bagged up and you are good to go. The waiting area has some sample boards and literature but no product for browsing. NOT AT ALL like scoping the bins at the hardware or big box store.

• Excellent 1

Wheelhorse#1

@Handy Don

Now that's pretty neat! Maybe they will expand and put one close to my house (wishful thinking). 

• Like 1

cleat

We have a fastenal in town but unless you have a corporate account with them they will not sell to you.

Not that many big businesses in town either so I don't know how they stay in business.

• Like 2