past7971

60" deck under GT-14???

past7971

As title suggests, I've been thinking (VERY dangerous-trust me!!!) about mounting a 60" deck under one of my GT-14's. Has anyone else tried this? I believe tractor has distance between wheels to physically fit without turning issues but haven't got a 520 style 60" deck to check it out for sure. Was planning to change mower hitch to tach-a-matic style and build bolt-on front bracket to hold tach-a-matic mule drive to route drive belt. Any input on this idea before I spend the time and money looking for a good used deck to try it??? Would definitely cut my mowing time down and I think it would look like it belongs under there if done correctly and as long as clearance with steering tires is not an issue.

kj4kicks

The biggest issue will be power. 14hp isn't really enough to run a 60" deck.

wh500special

Even if that deck will physically tuck under there I'm not sure that 14 hp K321 will have enough muscle to pull it efficiently. I'd think a minimum of about 18 gas HP would be required for such a big deck unless you adjust your ground speed to be really slow in which case you might actually be better off with the 48" designed for that tractor.

My understanding is that WH made the transition from Kohler twins to the Onans in 1988 becuase they needed the extra torque output the Onans tend to have. Likely it was a nod to needing a potent 20hp on the 520HC with it's 60-incher. I had a zero turn with a 24 onan and the 60" deck and although it never lacked for power from a practical standpoint, there were a few times that deck would drag even that 24 horse way down.

I can get you some front to back measurements of the 60" to see if it will fit when I get home.

Steve

past7971

I have a fresh .010-over 16hp K341 just sitting if extra "Umph" is needed but really didnt consider the 14hp as being a possible issue. I understand the recommended power ratings for deck sizes but think they're on the "light" side. My reasoning on this may be questionable but I know the 14hp doesn't even struggle with the 48" deck. I also keep a RM-425 42"deck under my 854 with no power issues and even ran a 48" deck under my B-80 8-speed while I was repainting its 42" deck just to see how it did. Of course, this is done with keeping blades sharp/spindles greased and timely mowings instead of waiting until it would be better to use a brush-hog instead of a mower or trying to cut wet grass. Hey Steve--if you can give me a measurement of the front to back thickness of your 60" deck about 14" out from the middle (the center to center of my front tires is 28 1/2") that will definitely help.

Teddy da Bear

Interesting concept.

I have been running my 48" deck on my B-100 with no problems.

I do have a 60" deck from my C-195.....hmmmm I will at least

give it a try on the GT-14 with the 16hp kohler magnum.

I am more or less just curious....lol Nothing ventured...nothing gained...lol

past7971

Hey TDB!!! I didn't check but the 195 & 520 both use same style 60" deck don't they? If so, would you mind latching yours up just to check the clearance if you get REALLY bored sometime???

Teddy da Bear

I was also wondering if they used the same deck.... Maybe a check later

on that.

Yeah.....I will do sometime. See what it looks like and see if it runs.

Unfortunately the Gt-14 with the magnum is in restore mode right now...lol

Nick

Paul, Have you found a good deal on a 60" deck? In the past they were still holding a fairly high price tag anywhere from $400 to around $1000. If it would fit and you can find one cheap then go for it. Worst that can happen is it doesn't work and you resell the deck. Besides the width these decks do also have a very nice quality of cut. The only downside is maybe mowing in rough/hilly areas they can scalp more and in some cases wet grass can plug and ball up in the deck. To be honest I even like the sound of them. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVWyHR9rE3E

The C195 used a Ariens deck shell. It was a much lighter and a bit more compact design. The 60" deck used on the 520 is a heavy larger design.

baerpath

I ran the C195 with a K341 using the 60 inch. Worked fine no problems as far as hp

Duane

• Like 1

bitten

Wouldnt the H.P. rateing also be determended if it is hydro or geared?

past7971

Hey Nick--Thanks for the 195 deck info. No, I haven't bought or even started looking for the 60" deck yet. With a walk-in basement style house, my yard is "two-level" but has a nice gradual slope to it and is 1 1/2 acres with another 1 1/2 acre lot next door. If any scalping would become an issue, i could grab one of the other Horses for that area but would like the 60" to do the "bulk" of the mowing. So the 195 deck is actually an Ariens design huh? I like the idea of being lighter to reduce added stress on hitch/hangers/shell. My first impulse was to do this with "original" parts but if the 195 deck is actually Ariens designed, it might help my search. Thanks (I guess?) to some rotted decks, I have spare sets of deck hangers I could maybe adapt to a diiferent manufacture belt driven deck as long as deck shape/style is appropriate for what I'm thinking. As a side note in case anyone is wondering---Yes, I did briefly consider a pull behind reel mower set-up but after thinking about storage space required and amount of blade sharpening when needed, decided a three-bladed deck would be a much better way for me to go. Thanks to all who have responded to this post so far with their input on this idea.

Teddy da Bear

If Nick says the 520 deck is heavier....I wonder if I have a transplant?

I can hardly lift this deck.

Nick

TDB, The C-195 deck is a stamped steel design while the 520 deck is a thick flat plate steel design. I do not know the actual weight difference for the decks but I would assume it to be a fair amount. Either deck is a handful to pick it up but the 520 deck is really heavy.

• Like 1

wh500special

...if you can give me a measurement of the front to back thickness of your 60" deck about 14" out from the middle .

It's right at 24" front-to-back at 14" from the middle of the deck. The deck is right at 30" front-to-back in the middle (nose wheel sticks out another 3" overall in the front) and the taper is linear from the middle to the ends.

Steve

Docwheelhorse

Hello all--I know where there is a 60" deck local to me.... it is all there EXCEPT for one spindle. I believe it could be had relatively cheaply ($3-$400???) maybe less. It is in North Windham CT and I will help anybody out that might want to pursue it.

Tony

stevebo

I have a 60 inch deck that is complete and in good shape. The only thing wrong with it is the tensioner spring is broken. I have the mule drive and belt too. If anyone is interested in it pm me. It would have to be picked up here in Danbury, CT. This is a serious deck !! Make me an offer. It is too big for my yard. :omg: Thanks- Steve Bo

WHC-125

I have a 60 inch deck that is complete and in good shape. The only thing wrong with it is the tensioner spring is broken. I have the mule drive and belt too. If anyone is interested in it pm me. It would have to be picked up here in Danbury, CT. This is a serious deck !! Make me an offer. It is too big for my yard. :omg: Thanks- Steve Bo

Steve, that deck is the perfectsize for your yard. You can get your yard done in 2 passes :drool:

SearsvilleSnow

Good evening all, as a newbie here I was wondering if a 60" deck from a 520 would fit under a late 90's 416 Hydro. I've got a large flat yard and would love to get the lawn cut faster. Any advice would help. Thanks.

stevebo

:omg: if you have a swept front end (off a 520) then you should be okay otherwise you will not be able to fit it as the front wheels will hit. Steve Bo-

jtmoyer

if the 416 has the smaller 6" wheels on the front a 60" deck should clear with no prob. if it it has the 8" tires it won't fit.

Rollerman

if the 416 has the smaller 6" wheels on the front a 60" deck should clear with no prob. if it it has the 8" tires it won't fit.

That will work on the earlier C 195 style 60" deck.

But I'm not sure about the 520H 60" type decks...they have a little differant shape to them.

I'm not saying it won't work, but the 520H 60" decks are monsters & take up a lot of space.

Here's a pic of a 417-8 speed, small tires in front & the Areins made deck used on the C 195's

100_0403Small.jpg

Nick

The 520 doesnt have a lot of clearance on the deck so Im not sure if it would fit on other tractors even with 6" front tires. And if you ever lift one they are monsters.

1995520Hleft-1.jpg1995520Hright.jpg

past7971

Thanks for posting the pics in those last two posts!!! Nice to be able to compare differences of the two available 60" decks. Thought I had a 60" from "different" manufacture to adapt but in typical Ebay fashion, I got "beat-up" in the last minute of bidding. The search continues..........

Nick

He hasnt been around in a while so I hunted up a picture of Dales 76" deck. I believe he put a couple cub cadet decks together for a 76" cut. I could not find his pictures of the bottom side but if I remember right it had 5 spindles. Might be an option if you wanted to build a deck. :omg:

bigdeck.jpg

For years I thought about just building a tow behind offset deck but never got around to it. Ive seen pics of just buying a throw away lawn tractor, cutting off all the extra parts, then adding a tongue and swivel tires to pull it behind your tractor. :drool:

past7971

Now thats a monster!!! I'd almost be afraid of going too fast and having it want to try to take flight :drool: I do have spare spindles, torches, grinders, welders and a seriously dangerous mix of mentality/capability :omg: so I may try to build one but was hoping to at least find a decent "ready-made" shell to use.