upstate yank

older wheel horse tractor

upstate yank

well guys it has been a while i posted a question about a carb adjustment on a B-80 which i was able to figure out and it runs strong 'and i want to thank again the ones that did reply 'so now i have another question and i sure hope some one might know ; i was searching the craigslist for the older horses and found one that was listed for 125.00 but the owner would say he would take a 100.00 for it so off i went to the st.louis area from my home in Springfield a 2 plus 1/2 ride to and the same back 'but anyways here are a few pictures of the old horse ;yes at times we get scammed but at times we have to trust others for there word 'but anyways what i have is a older horse and really do not know the year ;in all it looked good with a few miner issues such as the choke cable and the throttle froze up 'it has the pull start and i am sure it goes back to the days ;the motor is a Briggs and stratton really not sure what horse power as the owner said a 8 but it looks a little bigger ;the deck is solid but he thinks  either the belt is bad or a bad spindle ;the one idler  puller is bad which is no biggie 'so i ask if any one here might know the year of this old horse'on the side of the housing the numbers are # B-703866'thanks guys

yes it is an automatic but now to find the screw or valve so it will free wheel as so many are so different 

00g0g_fY3RMzuj3DW_600x450.jpg

00k0k_6RG7HfkU4V0_600x450 (1).jpg

00O0O_1ypYHSGeJ52_600x450.jpg

thumbnail_image1.jpg

thumbnail_image2.jpg

thumbnail_image3.jpg

Edited by upstate yank
  • Like 3
  • Excellent 2

ZXT

It looks like it could be an 875 or similar. I'm sure I'm wrong and welcome corrections as I'm constantly learning.

Looks like an 8hp briggs to me. I don't think its original, but again, i could be wrong.

• Like 1

upstate yank
1 hour ago, ZXT said:

It looks like it could be an 875 or similar. I'm sure I'm wrong and welcome corrections as I'm constantly learning.

Looks like an 8hp briggs to me. I don't think its original, but again, i could be wrong.

thanks so much for your thoughts and yes it is a briggs but i would to know the year if anyone knows it sure is an oldie 

• Like 1

SPINJIM

Don't let the Briggs mislead you.  It's not the original engine.  It had an electric start, probably a Kohler, because it has a battery tray.  Based on the style of clutch engagement lever, I'd guess it's a 1967 or a little later.   Definitely an old Horse.   Look for a plate with a model number on it just under the control panel.   

Jim

WHNJ701

on the plus side, who ever changed the engine didn't cut up the sheet metal to make it fit

• Like 1

953 nut

:woohoo:                                                     :text-coolphotos:

You have a short frame with a hydro so it would be a '65 or '66. Under the dash you will find a small metal tag that will have the model number.

The hydros all came with electric start Kohler engines, Take a look at this manual and you will find the towing valve location in Figure 1.

• Like 1

Achto

1967 was the first year to have the parking brake handle up on the center counsel, so my best guess would be that it's 877 or a Charger 9. The Briggs is definitely not correct for either model.

Looks like it could be a good lil worker. 

• Like 2

upstate yank

thanks everyone for the replies and there is no tag under the dash the only numbers are the ones i posted and i thought the same thing about it having the battery tray odd though i didn't notice if there was a key switch ;i will look today and reply back ;thanks again guys

ebinmaine

Can't see if there's a key in those pics.

You get that Briggs running well you'll really like it.

Nice engines.

That'll be a good little horse for you.

Ed Kennell

Yep, 1967 model 877, 1077, or 1277 that should have the Sundstrand 3100077 transmission.  The pressure relief/tow/push valve is a 9/16 or 5/8 hex nut on the rear left side of the tranny case. near the upper left rear corner.  Turn it CCW one turn to open the valve. It  requires a thin open end wrench to reach the hex head between the tranny and tool box.

Edited by Ed Kennell
  • Excellent 1

upstate yank
14 hours ago, SPINJIM said:

Don't let the Briggs mislead you.  It's not the original engine.  It had an electric start, probably a Kohler, because it has a battery tray.  Based on the style of clutch engagement lever, I'd guess it's a 1967 or a little later.   Definitely an old Horse.   Look for a plate with a model number on it just under the control panel.   

Jim

thanks for the reply back and there is no tag plate under the dash so now i think i made a bad choice on this one oh well we live and learn ;but even still the transmission is worth the 100 plus a few other parts ;again thanks to everyone for the replies  

upstate yank
3 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Can't see if there's a key in those pics.

You get that Briggs running well you'll really like it.

Nice engines.

That'll be a good little horse for you.

there is no key what is there is a push button to shut the motor down .i am sure once i get the bugs out of it it will be fine ;but even though it is the wrong motor heck for a 100 bucks the transmission is worth that plus a few other parts thanks for the reply 

upstate yank

sorry there is no key just a push button to shut the motor off ;i will have to check it to make sure it is wired ;but heck the transmission and other parts are worth the 100 ;;it seems we live and learn as time goes by ;thanks for the reply ;

953 nut
2 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

1967 model 877, 1077, or 1277

1077 and 1277 would be a long frame and have the bell type PTO. The seat is correct for '67 so I guess that makes it an 877.

• Like 2

The Tuul Crib

You can't go wrong for the price I would definitely buy it .  Restorable or use for parts is well worth the money .

SPINJIM

The short frame Horses are very collectible.   I'd just call it an 877, and restore it.   Could be a nice tractor.