520hC-120

2 Stage Snowblower Impellar Clearance

520hC-120

My 2 stage blower model 06-44SC01 had a little trouble throwing snow that far. It was light and fluffy snow and I could only get it about 15-20ft out. It also didn’t do well at all with the wet and heavy stuff the next morning on, throwing it about 2-3 ft out. The blower is on a fully capable 520h. I was going slow to atleast give it a chance but no pleasing results. I suspect the bad performance is from the impellar and shell clearance. In the picture it shows what I have. If my impellar is bad how to I take it out to maybe bend it back or get a new one. Thanks in advance!

CC6A062A-1E26-4DA9-A17C-FCA4F673F80B.jpeg

Kurt-NEPA

1.75" clearance on the impeller is insane.  I would add paddle extensions.  Search YouTube - lots of videos on this.  Most used rubber, but I used metal.  Mine are set for 1/16" clearance and I can easily throw heavy wet snow 75 ft.

1720361934_ImpellerBladeExtensions.jpg.ba69b0af2d2ce06d0e638ea2663cd38e.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

520hC-120

Ok thanks guys, I’ll buy the kit and see what happens with the rubber. I might use metal as well.

wallfish

The paddle kit will help but it still should've thrown further without them. Something is slipping, belt, chain, or PTO clutch plate.

The biggest performance increase I made to mine was making sure the PTO surfaces are flat and and making maximum contact to prevent slipping.

Remove the pulley bell thingy and check the surfaces between it and the clutch plate material. You might find discoloring on the steal surface with shinny areas and grooves. Those shinny areas are the only place(s) where it's making contact and you want the entire surface to make contact. Not enough contact area and it will definitely slip which causes performance issues. I use a 4" wide belt sander for the steel surface and 150 grit sandpaper on a wooden block for the clutch plate surface to make them flat. Then proper adjustment for the tension on the engagement rod.

Check the shaft bearing between the impeller and chain sprocket on the back. If it has any slop the new paddles will hit as the shaft wobbles around in a worn bearing.

:twocents-02cents:

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

520hC-120

Ok I’ll look tomorrow, thanks.

520hC-120

Update:

I have filed the pto and adjusted it so it’s tight. I have checked the back bearing and it is fine and stable. The paddles on the impellar were bent beyond belief so I bent them back and now have a clearance of about 3/8 of an inch. I haven’t put the rubber extensions on yet but will get there. I tested the blower today on some of the hard icey snow and it threw it about 30 feet. This is acceptable for me compared to the 10 feet it was throwing before. 

Edited by 520hC-120
  • Like 4
  • Excellent 1

WVHillbilly520H

It's crazy what some people run over and get caught up in those impeller without breaking a shear pin on the auger, atleast the one I bought and refurbished, anyways the rubber extensions really shine when the snow is really wet, helps keep the chute from freezing/clogging, good luck Jeff.

895_1.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

wallfish
5 hours ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

the rubber extensions really shine when the snow is really wet,

It's crazy what some people run over and get caught up in those impeller without breaking a shear pin on the auger

Yes they do!

Had a big chunk of asphalt get caught in mine and bent the crap out of one of the paddles. Shear pin never sheared. That thing locked up tight and smoked the belt to junk in a matter of seconds. I've found some newspapers once in a while too. Those idiots with that stupid advertisement paper keep throwing them in the driveway.

5 hours ago, 520hC-120 said:

Update:

I have filed the pto and adjusted it so it’s tight. I have checked the back bearing and it is fine and stable. The paddles on the impellar were bent beyond belief so I bent them back and now have a clearance of about 3/8 of an inch. I haven’t put the rubber extensions on yet but will get there. I tested the blower today on some of the hard icey snow and it threw it about 30 feet. This is acceptable for me compared to the 10 feet it was throwing before. 

Glad to see you got her throwing.

Now you only need

paddle extensions

A Snow cab

and Motorized chute controls

Add some snow and now it's not so much of a chore and kind of fun.

520hC-120

I have most of the parts for the frame of a cab and looking for the rest. Thanks all!

• Like 1

wallfish
10 hours ago, 520hC-120 said:

I have most of the parts for the frame of a cab and looking for the rest. Thanks all!

There was one on craigslist recently and may still be there. Ad said it was just missing a couple of frame parts which you may already have.

520hC-120

I have seen that ad. I may call him and take a peek at it.

Edited by 520hC-120

WVHillbilly520H

I finally got around to replacing the impeller paddle extensions (I tore up last snow storm on my BILs gravel driveway) here's a few pictures from tear down to back together enjoy, you can see the difference between the chewed up ones the spare unused 1, I should be able to sling the wet stuff and DOT plow banks once again, Jeff.

IMAG5454.jpg

IMAG5455.jpg

IMAG5456.jpg

IMAG5457.jpg

IMAG5458.jpg

IMAG5459.jpg

IMAG5461.jpg

IMAG5462.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

wallfish
19 minutes ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

I finally got around to replacing the impeller paddle extensions

NICE! they do make a difference.

Still need to change mine but one of the paddles is bent like 520hc's. It's just a pain to pull everything apart to get that piece out and plus while I'm at it (again), beef up the supports for all three paddles. Or try to build a whole new one. They do seem to get out of wack much easier after it happens the first time since the steel gets stressed.

• Thanks 1