Jim anderson

C-125

Jim anderson

Hello all, new to this forum and was looking for some advice on value.  In my area is posted a 1983 C-125 with blade attachment and mower deck. The unit looks pretty clean from the pic and the asking price is $950.  Is this in the ballpark, or too high too low?  Thanks in advance.

F07A7185-83C1-48F9-91A8-DC2F97CC9E18.png

• Like 3

stevasaurus

Hi, and Welcome to Red Square   :text-welcomeconfetti:

That horse looks to be in excellent shape.  That price may be a little high for my area, but I don't think it is out of line for California if it runs well.  Looks well kept. 

• Like 1

Jim anderson

Also curious about availability of everything in CA?  Any comments?

Achto
23 minutes ago, Jim anderson said:

Also curious about availability of everything in CA?  Any comments?

:WRS:  A lot of the tractor parts will be available through a Toro dealer. Engine parts through any Kohler dealer. There is the venders on this site and if all else fails :techie-ebay:

• Like 1

stevasaurus

We do have some west coast members, but if you want to see tons of Wheel Horses, you need to move to the MidWest...or Atlantic states.  :orcs-cheers:  Like was said...our vendors will ship in the states. 

KC9KAS

@Jim anderson :text-welcomeconfetti: to :rs:

Nice looking tractor!

SylvanLakeWH

:text-welcomeconfetti:

Looks very nice!

My Black Hood C-105 has a 10 HP Kohler and it's a beast...Love it! Great tractors! Your C-125 would be very similar...

Jim anderson

Any other inputs on the price?  And thank you all for the inputs, very helpful!

953 nut

:WRS:

Though the price may seem high to us on the east coast it is probably not in California because they are less plentiful out west. The thirty five year old :wh: will be mowing and pushing snow years after a cheap "Big Box Store" mower has given up the ghost! To confirm the price range in your area see what other Garden Tractors are bringing in your area.

• Like 2

jay bee

':text-welcomewave: @Jim anderson      Mower deck, snow plow, weights and chains and new battery add up to at least $450 in my mind.  Five hundred for a garage kept, original owner '83 C-125 may be a touch high in my area but still not out of the question.  If the tractor checks out and the engine is strong, I'd see how much below $950 I could buy it for.  

• Like 1

Daddy Don

I have a 1981 c-125 and it is great. the picture is the C-125 :text-welcomeconfetti:

Edited by Daddy Don

ClassicTractorProfessor

To me if it's a solid runner it's well worth the 950, especially with the blade and deck included, I love my C125, and with what I paid for it and what I've put into it, I've got more than 950 in it, so that's something to take into consideration as well

IMG_20180310_182813.jpg

• Like 3

ZXT

Will they even let you own a old garden tractor in California? I thought everything had to have emissions equipment. 

• Haha 4

Jim anderson

Again, thanks for all the replys, if anyone else has inputs I continue to appreciate them.  Will try and get to look at the tractor in person sometime after Thanksgiving, pretty swamped until then and the tractor is 2.5 hours away.  If I end up getting it I will follow up with a report and additional pics, ,til then:  Happy Thanksgiving all!

• Like 6

rmaynard

Most parts that I get for my tractors come to me via USPS or UPS. Unless you need something big like an accessory, you should be just a good there as anywhere else in the U.S. 

:WRS:

• Like 2

AMC RULES

Condition & location is everything, looks to be a very well taken care of machine. 

Considering this, the price does not seem out of the ball park to me. 

Good luck on your :wh: endeavor.    :WRS:

welcomewagon.gif.67f3910c613d6ca98c03022a5d698b5d.gif49055158_righthorse2.png.1f349ba918e9337f53350c3f35e0012c.png

Tuneup

Dragged mine out of a Southern backyard for free. It cost me about $750 to restore and have the benefit of a non-rusted 42 RD. No plow, weights or chains. To me, if she needs nothing, you have a fair deal. Also, good, clean cold start on the engine, no smoke under load and trans shifts cleanly and stays in all gears.....even better.

• Like 3

rjcap

I have the exact same year C - 125. I have had it for six seasons now and absolutely love it. Best, hardest working, easiest to maintain little piece of equipment I have ever owned. I have been wondering if another came available how much would I pay? I originally paid $450 for the tractor and it had a 42" RD deck. Not near as clean as the one you are looking at. Anyhow, bought a plow blade, $300, a snow blower, $250 and a pristine 48" SD deck, $350 add chains and wheel weights for another $150. All that said I don't think his asking price is unreasonable but I would still offer him less. Maybe start at $750.

Edited by rjcap
  • Like 1

Jim anderson

Rjcap- $750 is exactly where I was thinking, I suspect I can get it for 800-850, he already said he has a little wiggle room in the price.

• Like 1

Jim anderson

Can anyone please explain the naming convention?  I understand the “C” would be the frame model, the “12” is for the 12 hp engine, what is the “5” meaning?

thanks!

AMC RULES

Typically the 5 = electric start. 

clueless

The C series started in 1974, the last digit was a 0, C160 would have been a 16hp. In 1978 they made some changes i.e. tank in the back, battery moved. engine mount and some more safety stuff. The last digit became a 1, C161, C121. Sometime in the 80s the made some more changes including sheet metal (hood) and color changes, on these the last digit became a 5, C165, C125, C145. As for the price of the tractor, like most have said it about location and availability, in my area, the Gulf Coast, that price would not be out of line. If you can get it for $800.00 that would be even better, either way you will not be disappointed.

Edited by clueless
  • Excellent 1

Jim anderson

Thanks for all the info guys, I do appreciate it!

• Like 1