eddiebunyan

Steering wheel removal

eddiebunyan

Someone is advertising a steering removal tool that is just a 5?8"

fine thread bolt with two nuts welded on the end!Says removal tool but doesn't say how,or if you need more than the bolt and welded nuts????Have a friend who is trying to replace his dash but can't get steering wheel off! Tried in several "browse" categories that I put "steering wheel removal" in with no results!

953 nut
1 hour ago, eddiebunyan said:

fine thread bolt with two nuts welded on the end!Says removal tool but doesn't say how,or if you need more than the bolt and welded nuts????

:wwp:

The tools needed to remove most :wh: steering wheels are a punch to remove the pin that holds it on the shaft A bearing slitter and a bunch of PB Blaster!

Image result for bearing splitter kit

Most of the time the roll pin that holds the steering wheel to the steering shaft will be rusted tight and the steering wheel will be firmly rusted to the shaft.

There are a lot of threads on here about removing steering wheels.

WHNJ701

they are real treat to remove, sometimes it's easier not mess with it and remove the gear instead.  

953 nut

These three results are from page #1 if a 154 page result of a search of "steering wheel". It is out there, you just need to reduce the number of words in your search request.

• Like 2

oliver2-44

I've seen that advertised too, but never figured out how it worked.  I ended up pulling the dash with the steering wheel on my 312-8.  Even off i never got the pin out.  If you use a bearing sitter as pictured above make sure it is grabbing on the bottom of steel hub center of the steering wheel verses the plastic part of the wheel. 

I have a C-120  that had a broken wheen when I got it. I JB epoxy welded it back together and uses a stainless bolt and nylock nut instead of a roll pin to put it back on. 

• Like 1

Lee1977

Their are some that you can never get the roll pin out. I have a 312-8 that set out side some time before I got it and water got under the cap. I tried everything and the roll pin has moved yet. Heat is about the only thing that will work, but you can't use that on a plastic steering wheel.

Edited by Lee1977

peter lena

key to removal is to solidly back up other side of steering wheel hub , to a wall or beam , a piece of 4x4 on side of wheel will stop your impact on that spring pin. without that support , you are just bouncing your impact. you can probably use help with this, but having done it , many times, when its solid that pin drives right out. this might not apply to closed gear box steering system. pete

953 nut
6 hours ago, Lee1977 said:

Heat is about the only thing that will work, but you can't use that on a plastic steering wheel.

If you heat the steering shaft an inch or so below the wheel the heat will migrate up the shaft and you can melt some paraffin wax into the roll pin on both sides and down the shaft.