PA.BOB

Just want to introduce myself, pics of possible project

Machineguy

:text-welcomeconfetti:

Sparky

If the motor will spin and has compression it’s worth the $150 in my opinion. The steering wheel is not correct if a full restoration was planned. 

:WRS:

• Like 1

AMC RULES

welcomewagon.gif.9c95d5eff67a12d4f6dd90305400082f.gif914484827_righthorse2.png.5134be6427bcfe3307dc928acfed0921.png

Rob R

I would say definitely pull the trigger if the engine is good, you get it running and chk the condition of the tranny fluid and you will have a hell of a machine. I have the identical tractor and it the best plow tractor I have ever owned.... easy to maneuver, easy to get started in sub zero and absolutely sips gas.  

Wheel Horse C81 5.JPG

Wheel Horse C81 6.JPG

Wheel Horse C81 7.JPG

• Like 6
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

jay bee

:text-welcomewave: @PA.BOB to :rs:

SylvanLakeWH

:text-welcomeconfetti:

WHNJ701

if it's a bust you can sell those wheel weights and make your money back

• Like 2

953 nut
3 hours ago, PA.BOB said:

I Don't know to much  about these. But I am learning a lot just buy looking over this great forum.  I hope that you guys wont mind to help this old bird out.

:WRS:

We all learn from each other and there is a lot of information on this site for you. Looks like a good solid :wh: and well worth restoring. I would suggest you pull the sheet metal covers of the engine to check for mouse nests. Feel free to ask questions if there are things you don't figure out on your own. As you begin to take the tractor apart be sure to take pictures of everything, they will come in handy as it goes back together.

The C-81 was built from '78 to '81, not sure what year yours is but have attached the '79 "C Series" manual.

• Like 3

PA.BOB
3 hours ago, Rob R said:

I would say definitely pull the trigger if the engine is good, you get it running and chk the condition of the tranny fluid and you will have a hell of a machine. I have the identical tractor and it the best plow tractor I have ever owned.... easy to maneuver, easy to get started in sub zero and absolutely sips gas.  

Wheel Horse C81 5.JPG

Wheel Horse C81 6.JPG

Wheel Horse C81 7.JPG

That's a nice one you got there Rob. Did you restore it?  I see that you have a cig lighter. Maybe that's what that hole is for in my dash.  I thought somebody drilled a hole for something.  And Sparky said my steering wheel is wrong . I didn't know that . I appreciate you guys telling me all this stuff.  Thank you guys. Bob..

• Like 3

KC9KAS

@PA.BOB :text-welcomeconfetti: to :rs:

PA.BOB

Thank you everyone for the nice welcomes.  Bob............. I love this forum.

• Like 3

Rob R
1 hour ago, PA.BOB said:

That's a nice one you got there Rob. Did you restore it?  I see that you have a cig lighter. Maybe that's what that hole is for in my dash.  I thought somebody drilled a hole for something.  And Sparky said my steering wheel is wrong . I didn't know that . I appreciate you guys telling me all this stuff.  Thank you guys. Bob..

I added he cigarette Lighter outlet so that I  can run a magnetic revolving yellow warning blinker since I live on a curve and the cars come around it WAY to fast for my liking!   Has saved my keester more then once in the past 5 yrs.....!    p.s. I got this ole girl after the original owner went to his reward. Restored it to good working order and gave her a fresh coat of paint.... p.s. don't forget to chk the transmission if the oil it is brown you need to flush it with kerosene and replace once or twice if it is black fill to proper  level and leave it  alone.....  also change the shift boot if oil is brown.... leakage here is where the H2O gets in.. Welcome Bob

April snow 2018 3 .jpg

Edited by Rob R
  • Like 5

Ed Kennell

:text-welcomeconfetti: to the :rs: Bob.     Great intro and pictures....:wwp:

BUY IT,  in my area plows sell for 150 bucks.    You get a free tractor.

As stated above,  the 8HP Kohler is a great easy starting engine.   I am not a fan of the rocker plate engine mounts, but that is a fine tractor.

• Like 2

c-series don

The 78-79 C-series are my favorite. I have all of them except a C-81 which I know where there is one that I may be able to buy soon and a C-101. Really love the looks of them. Here's two of them that I restored.

image.jpeg

• Like 5

rjg854

:WRS:  I've got 3 tractors with 8hp engines, they all start easy even in the coldest season.  You can't go wrong. 

• Like 1

PA.BOB
4 hours ago, Rob R said:

I added he cigarette Lighter outlet so that I  can run a magnetic revolving yellow warning blinker since I live on a curve and the cars come around it WAY to fast for my liking!   Has saved my keester more then once in the past 5 yrs.....!    p.s. I got this ole girl after the original owner went to his reward. Restored it to good working order and gave her a fresh coat of paint.... p.s. don't forget to chk the transmission if the oil it is brown you need to flush it with kerosene and replace once or twice if it is black fill to proper  level and leave it  alone.....  also change the shift boot if oil is brown.... leakage here is where the H2O gets in.. Welcome Bob

April snow 2018 3 .jpg

Looks like it does a nice job plowing Bob. I see your light your talking about.  Looking good Bob.  

PA.BOB
2 hours ago, c-series don said:

The 78-79 C-series are my favorite. I have all of them except a C-81 which I know where there is one that I may be able to buy soon and a C-101. Really love the looks of them. Here's two of them that I restored.

image.jpeg

There beautiful Don.  Holly Molly. You did an A1 job on them.  There show winners.  Thanks for posting them.   Bob....

• Like 1

WHNJ701

well did we talk into buying it yet?  a few years back I found my old man a 1 owner garage kept c85 black hood because he hates his jd box store rider.  he loves that machine (the c85!!!).  I like it too solid, reliable, machine and easy to work on.

• Like 2

Daron1965

:text-welcomeconfetti:to the site.   

PA.BOB
21 hours ago, jabelman said:

well did we talk into buying it yet?  a few years back I found my old man a 1 owner garage kept c85 black hood because he hates his jd box store rider.  he loves that machine (the c85!!!).  I like it too solid, reliable, machine and easy to work on.

Not yet.

12 hp Kohler

Here's my c-81, its a great tractor with lots of power for its size. And as said above the little 8hp Kohler sips gas. 

$150 is a great deal for a C-81, the plow is a bonus, i say go get ! 

IMG_0120.JPG.f30b9b3eb2a1e70880e4d56534b27fab.JPGIMG_0364.JPG.c9de3c329be74ed351fe8b0c2b70f437.JPG

Edited by 12 hp Kohler
  • Like 3

paxz71usa

:text-welcomeconfetti: BOB, Glad you joined the :wh: crowd.

:USA:             Gary

IMG_20180107_142520347_HDR (1024x592).jpg

• Like 1

PA.BOB
On ‎11‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 8:22 PM, 12 hp Kohler said:

Here's my c-81, its a great tractor with lots of power for its size. And as said above the little 8hp Kohler sips gas. 

$150 is a great deal for a C-81, the plow is a bonus, i say go get ! 

IMG_0120.JPG.f30b9b3eb2a1e70880e4d56534b27fab.JPGIMG_0364.JPG.c9de3c329be74ed351fe8b0c2b70f437.JPG

Looks good 12  hp.  Does your shifter have much play in it  ?   Thanks 12hp.   Bob.....................

12 hp Kohler
11 hours ago, PA.BOB said:

Looks good 12  hp.  Does your shifter have much play in it  ?   Thanks 12hp.   Bob.....................

The transmission that was in it when i got it locked up about a year ago so put another one in. I have had no trouble with the transmission that's in it now and it shifts nicely with the right amount of movement. 

• Like 1