Goldnboy

42" deck rebuild

Goldnboy

Well with winter upon us here I got bored a decided to start on rebuilding the 42 side discharge deck it has no ID tag but figure it must be a 5-1010. It uses d spindles and cast aluminum housings.

It has what appears to be the normal hole near the side exit which is why I am tearing it down. This spring I replaced the bearing and did temporary jb weld on the spindle bolt holes to get through the mowing season until a replacement is found.

20181020_092421.jpg

20181020_094452.jpg

Goldnboy

Got all the spindles and pulleys out without using any heat I was able to use the big electric impact to get the stubborn nuts off.  I have a lot of rust and pitting on the shell . Thinking about using jb weld to fill in the pitted areas.

20181117_145853.jpg

20181117_154844.jpg

20181117_154850.jpg

20181118_094328.jpg

Edited by Goldnboy

KC9KAS

Sand blast to clean it up, weld any holes/cracks then use POR-15 45308 Silver Rust Preventive Coating - 1 pint

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

When I rebuild decks, I always add 1/16" steel  reinforcement plates inside the deck  at the wheel carriage brackets.  Then bolt the bracket thru the deck and the new plate.  These plates can also usually be made to cover the rust holes.

• Like 3

Goldnboy
2 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

When I rebuild decks, I always add 1/16" steel  reinforcement plates inside the deck  at the wheel carriage brackets.  Then bolt the bracket thru the deck and the new plate.  These plates can also usually be made to cover the rust holes.

I was thinking the same thing on this one but curious to others thought on filling the hole with Jb weld steel stick or bondo first.

The Tuul Crib

I just finished my 48 inch deck and had two holes in it. I put a small thin piece of steel on the inside and then took the wire welder and filled it in and then ground it smooth.Home Depot has something called plasti dip. Put it on the under side.

IMG_4864.JPG

Goldnboy

Here one of two spindles I rebuilt with bearings in the spring. Apparently jb weld doesn't stick long to this because it was reformed around the bolt hole and it has just peeled off.  Now the bolt hole is cracked. Should I go old school and back to to cast iron spindles?

20181119_070512.jpg

Goldnboy

Manage to get an afternoon to work on this while the spouse was out shopping. 

Was tons on rust and the dust is everywhere in the garage! I have pretty good hole to fill and the pitting on top.

20181125_090610.jpg

20181125_090450.jpg

20181125_090447.jpg

ohiofarmer

The cast iron spindles idea is a good one. However, you need to make sure that the pulleys match up. If you get pulleys with the spindles, then no problem. A modern center drive pulley probably does not match up size wise or height wise to the old cast iron ones. Just take a close look at what you have before mixing the modern with the old.

The center cast iron pulleys tend to break off at the base pulley on the double belt center pulley. they are getting rare and are expensive..

I got a very troubled and abused deck with the 1056 i  just bought, but the spindles and pulleys are good enough to justify the entire price paid for the tractor

Goldnboy

Managed to get some time in now that the holidays are done. Got the top al cleaned down. There was a lot of pits hidden under the paint. I added a layer of HF epoxy to fill in the pits and is real smooth now. My brazing is now that good for this many indentations. I think this will solve the slide bar from sticking.

20190106_114722.jpg

20190106_114737.jpg

20190106_114735.jpg

Goldnboy

Made progress on patching the hole and its painting time.

20190331_110700.jpg

20190331_110648.jpg

Goldnboy

Here is the final setup. Thanks to Lincoln at A-Z for the pulleys and belt guards. I even finished it off with Terry's decals. 

20190412_191316.jpg

20190412_191325.jpg

20190412_191345.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 4

peter lena

nice work on that, if you regularly drop that deck and scrape it down , let the sun warm up the  bottom , thats just the opposed  of the life it lives , and then oil spray it down , you can retain all your work. metal of any kind needs a lubrication feed to stop the acid/ grass grunge build up. your finish work , deserves  a regular clean up and oil down , just my own experience, pete