ebinmaine

Plowing snow. How about your tips, tricks and advice?

ebinmaine

I know this subject has been covered multiple times over the years. We have a lot of new members and many of us like to refresh ourselves too.

Please feel free to post links to old posts as well.

So what can you share with everyone about plowin' the White stuff??

Common things like what tires and weights.

Why you prefer a certain tractor. (Please Be kind to others as we have different needs and opinions).

What orange/amber lights are required by your local officials while in the road?

How much space do you save for future snow piles?

Is there anything you found that was unplanned for that the rest of us should know?

Whatever you can / care to share.....

squonk

Plan on fixing 1 breaking / falling off the first time out.

• Like 5

lynnmor

I don't know of any laws requiring certain lights, but there is the law requiring a triangle slow moving vehicle sign.  We have no dedicated police force in my area, so pretty much anything goes.  I can tell you that motorists will give you no room and it is extremely dangerous with the current crop of idiots.

When making snow piles, move them back at least three times as much as you think you might need, and don't block melt water or you will have a pond.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Ed Kennell
21 minutes ago, lynnmor said:

I don't know of any laws requiring certain lights, but there is the law requiring a triangle slow moving vehicle sign.  We have no dedicated police force in my area, so pretty much anything goes.  I can tell you that motorists will give you no room and it is extremely dangerous with the current crop of idiots.

When making snow piles, move them back at least three times as much as you think you might need, and don't block melt water or you will have a pond.

I plow 4-5 driveways and mailboxes, so I am on the road quite a lot.    And like Lynn said, drivers act like idiots when driving in the snow.

I have  a SMV sign and a blinking pole light in addition to the tractors head and tail lights.

One thing I always do when working near the road is to always face into the traffic lane so I can see them coming.

100_0011.JPG.b992baec4df81265f05bc368219337c4.JPG100_0018.JPG.5a5ff7fb183ba25f4508d046f589d2e5.JPG

• Like 9

pfrederi

Plow wide...really really wide. 

Use a hydro  reverse is much faster... 

10 pinion Differentials, steel chains (if you do not have a paved driveway) and as stated weight weight weight.

• Like 5
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine

@AMC RULES

I'm loving that grader Craig but that might not be super practical even in my fairly large driveway.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

pfrederi

I forgot to add a 5 angle position blade helps with keeping the front of the tractor from being pushed sideways...

• Like 3

ebinmaine
1 minute ago, pfrederi said:

I forgot to add a 5 angle position blade helps with keeping the front of the tractor from being pushed sideways...

Perhaps I'll drill 2 extra holes in the plow frame.

• Like 1

pfrederi

There isn't a lot of metal left if you drill the extra hole in a 3 position frame 

• Like 1

ebinmaine
3 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

There isn't a lot of metal left if you drill the extra hole in a 3 position frame 

Ahh ok...

pfrederi
9 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Ahh ok...

Actually I just went out and measured a 3 and 5 hole frame.  You can do it.  I thought i read somewhere once that you couldn't but I guess the old memory is bad. 

• Like 4

Racinbob

Ya made me go out and look at my blade. Yup, there's room. I think I'll do that next spring. :)

• Like 4

AMC RULES

Typically, you just replace your sector Eric. 

From this...

IMG_1206.JPG.a819181ab23304d23bf327c5f93cd82e.JPG

to this.

IMG_1201.JPG.5e595948bc482b3f34f8c36b83100723.JPG

IMG_1200.JPG.3fd9d0d1727eb0e9387241f7cbc4171b.JPG

See here though...

IMG_0849.JPG.1ece4558bc985104e11f14cbb342d074.JPG

should be room to just add another hole to your current three hole sector. 

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 2

Tankman

49 minutes ago, AMC RULES said:

Should be room to just add another hole to your current three hole sector. 

Looked at my blades long ago and it appears two additional holes would be OK.

Just never got around to drilling.

Plow often if a lot of snow is forecast. Push the wet white cold junque well out of the way make room for all snow, and then some.

Maybe just move to Key West?  :eusa-think:

• Like 3

Ed Kennell
8 minutes ago, Tankman said:

Whaaat……..and miss all this seat time?       No way.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

SPINJIM

Anyone have opinions on the TILT of the blade top-to-bottom?   Most WH blades I have seen have the tilt adjustment in the second hole from the top.   But the big trucks that the highway dept uses, don't push the snow.   They lift the snow from the road, and throw it to the side.   I adjusted my 48" blade at max tilt, and found it did a better job on that sloppy snow that we just had.   Along with wheel weights and chains and some momentum, it seemed to lift and throw instead of push.   

Also, tri-rib tires or chains on the front help to keep the plowing straight. 

Jim

Edited by SPINJIM
  • Like 4

Chris G

I plow a couple driveways and some other areas at my house and I have used a alot of different machines. Last year was 1960 suburban 400 and the year before was a 3 wheeled Copar Panzer T102 with foot operated plow and this year my B140and the list goes on.  The biggest thing Id say is making sure ya got adequate weight and traction. I always have used ags, but keep chains ready just in case. Also find the right gear and throttle range that works for you. And most of all never rush, enjoy the seat time. Plowing snow is probably my favorite thing to do with these old machines.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

peter lena

I agree with the idiots on the road, I put a couple of LED BATTERY /BIKE LIGHTS  on my horse ,helped with being seen. they have about 5 different phases, I like the constant back and forth light flash, I am currently working on a rear view mirror. stay safe out there, pete

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

SylvanLakeWH
4 hours ago, Tankman said:

4 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

Whaaat……..and miss all this seat time?       No way.

Can just use the blade to remove hurricane debris a few times a year...:ychain:

On topic - I run turf tires, no weights, no chains with a 42" blade. Typical Michigan slop to snow on three driveways each year. No problems. All are about 175' long and flat so no grade issues. Key thing - Push it back so there is room for more...:twocents-02cents:

IMG_1620.jpg.e43f80fdc7624f1e7dd32565939db3ba.jpg

• Like 3

Cetan08

I have a gravel driveway and pretty steep in places. No way I can plow up hill but need lots of weight and chains for traction getting back up. I can only imagine that it would be hard on a Hydro.

• Like 1

Elkskin's mower junkyard

I run mainly sears in snow. This year I got 1 Sears ready to go and 2 wheel horses. I like sears for the 3 point hitch. I hook grader up and grade snow if its only 3 to 4 inches. Otherwise use dozer blade. I haven't used the 552 yet for plowing snow but debating on modifying it to accommodate the adjuster like 753 has. 753 used to have to use carb cleaner to get it to pop off in cold I put new fuel pump on this year on the 1958 k160 bolens engine that's on the 753. So far so good. But I haven't got to use any this year with snow lol. I go over my machines several times a year but still get breakdowns in winter lol. I usually pile snow very high in piles.and away where you can put more.

Edited by craftsmanmowerfreak
  • Like 1

ebinmaine
10 hours ago, Tankman said:

Maybe just move to Key West

Awful flat down there.

Not much for mountain hiking.

Nice and toasty though....

Elkskin's mower junkyard

@ebinmaine hehe I decided to do it to 552 lol

20181117_213446.jpg

• Like 1