WildmanC120

Predator Swapped C-161 is a BEAST

Razorback

Very nice!

Turfs and chains work good, huh? That is my favorite combination, for snow clearing and ploughing the garden.

• Like 2

WildmanC120
9 minutes ago, Razorback said:

Very nice!

Turfs and chains work good, huh? That is my favorite combination, for snow clearing and ploughing the garden.

I was surprised.  I couldn't go anywhere with just the turf's.  Adding the chains made a huge difference. 

• Like 1

cleat

Years ago I was blowing snow with the Ford LGT165 and a 2 stage blower with loaded ags, wheel weights, and chains then iit suddenly stopped.

I thought something broke in the driveline but it turns out one set of chains came off.

Limped it back to the shop and put the chain back on and all was good again (for that day, something broke on that machine every time I used it).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine
9 hours ago, WildmanC120 said:

I was surprised.  I couldn't go anywhere with just the turf's.  Adding the chains made a huge difference. 

I plowed yesterday for the first time with a tractor.

I have 4 fluid filled tires and steel weights.

My B80 weighs about 925 pounds.

With AGS only I could barely get out of the shop. (Hilly terrain).

I put chains on and like you said... Night and Day difference!!

• Like 1

PeacemakerJack

:text-yeahthat:on snow and especially ice, there is no substitute for chains.  Since I have a gravel drive, I picked up a set of 2 link v-bars and I’m constantly amazed at the traction they provide.

thanks @WildmanC120 for the update on that Predator motor. Sounds like you have a winning combo—vintage wheel horse toughness with a modern fresh “heart” transplant.  

• Like 1

steelman

Chains are definitely a difference maker. I just moved to a new home with a concrete driveway and am concerned that my chains wi. damage the cement. I will likely pick up some rubber chains if I can get a source. Can anyone point me in the right direction? 

ebinmaine
11 minutes ago, steelman said:

I will likely pick up some rubber chains if I can get a source. Can anyone point me in the right direction? 

@Ed Kennell

How about you...

peter lena

Wildman, good going on that predator swap, like you said ,it will probably settle down with more time on it. question, looking at the pto to muffler / belt area, are you planning a heat shield to separate hot to cool ? with the hot air, blowing  off that side ,it might not take much of a flat angle to deflect and enhance that heat/cooling. you are probably already planning , " enhancements " to this neat swap. now that you are running, you will only make it better, pete

lynnmor

Just Google rubber tire chains for a variety of suppliers.  The manufacturer has this website: Rubber Tire Chains

• Thanks 2

KC9KAS

@WildmanC120 Is the front muffler close enough to the belt to cause damage, or is it an optical confusion?

• Like 1

WildmanC120
5 hours ago, KC9KAS said:

@WildmanC120 Is the front muffler close enough to the belt to cause damage, or is it an optical confusion?

Might just be the angle of the picture.  I would hope that this is enough room.

Exhaust.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Eric C
14 hours ago, steelman said:

Chains are definitely a difference maker. I just moved to a new home with a concrete driveway and am concerned that my chains wi. damage the cement. I will likely pick up some rubber chains if I can get a source. Can anyone point me in the right direction? 

I got mine from here:

https://www.tirechain.com/Garden-Tractor-Rubber-Tire-Chains.htm

• Thanks 1