joskuk

Electrical Trouble in the Snow

joskuk

This morning I started preparing the 416 for the snow storm we got tonight. I did an oil change with 10W-30 and swapped the deck for the plow.

Everything was going so well, we got a lot more snow than expected and it was plowing great. On my second pass up the driveway the headlights started to flicker, and then a second later the headlights died. I looked at the voltage gauge and it showed 0, and the taillights were not working either. The engine however stayed running.

I drove the tractor back up to the garage and shut it down. Took a look at obvious things like blown fuses, but the two 15A and 25A fuses looked good. I went to start the tractor back up but it won't start now either (with the key).

I'm pretty confused about this one, if anyone has seen something like this before the help would be very appreciated. Still have half a driveway to plow :lol:

I was thinking the ignition switch but you would think it wouldn't run at all then...

• Sad 1

lynnmor
1 hour ago, joskuk said:

I was thinking the ignition switch but you would think it wouldn't run at all then...

Could be the ignition switch, it all depends on which contacts failed.  Of course a bad connection elsewhere is also possible, I suggest you download the demystification guide. 

• Like 2

gwest_ca

What is the model number of your tractor?

Some 416's used a Kohler with battery ignition

Some 416's used a Kohler with magneto ignition

Some 416's used an Onan with battery ignition

All wired differently

Garry

• Excellent 1

953 nut
5 hours ago, joskuk said:

the headlights started to flicker, and then a second later the headlights died. I looked at the voltage gauge and it showed 0, and the taillights were not working either.

5 hours ago, joskuk said:

fuses looked good.

It sounds like you have some electrical connections that are not tight or are corroded. 

903112319_1electrical.jpg.a47197de5cfed7af665c7850138c9ca8.jpg

dells68

My c125 did something similar.  Tail lights came on when cranking, starter spun but wouldn’t engage.  Turned out to be a bad ground between the battery and engine.

• Like 1

Lost Pup

I had my 416H out as well clearing the snow. 10 minutes in I turned on the lights, lasted only a few minutes then went out. I flicked the switch a few times and the small switch handle just broke off.

Points to the problem easy enough. Never had this type of switch break like that but it was a neglected machine from the PO.

joskuk
4 hours ago, gwest_ca said:

What is the model number of your tractor?

Some 416's used a Kohler with battery ignition

Some 416's used a Kohler with magneto ignition

Some 416's used an Onan with battery ignition

All wired differently

Garry

How could I forget? It's a 1987 with the Kohler magnum, so magneto ignition. 31-16K803.

2 hours ago, dells68 said:

My c125 did something similar.  Tail lights came on when cranking, starter spun but wouldn’t engage.  Turned out to be a bad ground between the battery and engine.

Thanks, I'll definitely take a look at that today.

Edited by joskuk

peter lena

found grounding to be a regular issue, until I regularly went over all grounding points with a wire brush and dielectric grease .like 953 says , electrical basics are vital for operation, pete 

• Excellent 1

gwest_ca
4 hours ago, joskuk said:

Click on the picture first to see the notes on this file

Garry

• Like 1

joskuk

I checked the battery voltage today, I had to start the tractor and move it so I jumped the starter solenoid and it started up and ran fine. Just no power. I checked voltage while running and it was 12.2v at the battery, same as when it was off. So it's not charging.

6 hours ago, dells68 said:

I tried to find a battery to engine ground cable, but the only one I see is the ground coming off the battery going to the hood stand. It looked good, but I'm going to go through all the electrical connections tonight with dielectric grease.

We'll see how that goes.

roadapples

For all grounds I always use star washers and dielectric grease between wire end and ground. Never had a problem afterward. Don't be stingy with the grease...

• Like 3