ebinmaine

Edit: Patriot Horse is Tried/Tested in snow !!

Sparky

Now that you have the plow all set...time to get some real headlights on it. :D

• Haha 8

Daron1965

Looks like your enjoying the plow.  We are in the middle of receiving a few inches of the heavy wet sticky snow here.  Have fun and be safe.  

• Like 1

squonk
5 hours ago, Sparky said:

Hey, Eric killed 2 birds with 1 stone. Headlights and reverse lights! :banana-wrench:

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

ebinmaine
5 hours ago, Sparky said:

Well played sir!

:lol:

I have some setting on the shelf to be installed when I get time.

A 6 lamp led that fits in the hood where they should be.

4 hours ago, Daron1965 said:

We are in the middle of receiving a few inches of the heavy wet sticky snow here

We have 3-1/2 - 4" now and forecast is for another couple at least. Not too heavy.

• Like 2

Mows4three

Eric:

Don't stop at headlights.   You need a cab, a heater and SKIS.....!   

Just saying.....

Dave

• Haha 3

WHNJ701

sunglasses too, alot of light reflecting off that shiny stack back at you

• Haha 2

ebinmaine
Just now, jabelman said:

sunglasses too, alot of light reflecting off that shiny stack back at you

That saves me the money of having to buy a backwards facing lamp

Retired Wrencher

Eric well I guess you will work her today.

Edited by Retierd Wrencher
  • Like 1

ebinmaine
1 minute ago, Retierd Wrencher said:

Eric well I guess you will work her today.

Sure will.

Should be 5 or 6 inches to move.

• Like 1

The Tuul Crib

I'm ready here to push but unfortunately we are expecting mid 60s by the weekend!

:ROTF:

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine
Just now, The Tool Crib said:

I'm ready here to push but unfortunately we are expecting mid 60s by the weekend!

:ROTF:

Expected high temp of 42 tomorrow.

Works for me.

• Like 1

ericj

Got a good 6"  + when they were only calling for 1 to 3. Didn't go out and play because had to fight bad roads to get home from work, got sent home 4 hrs early. Took an hour and a half to get home, then had to go and get my daughter and her car and get them home. They were calling for it to change to rain, thought maybe it would melt or they would shut the job down. Brought us in on time, then told us working 12 hrs till Monday. I hope like h--ll it all melts

Eric j

• Like 2

ebinmaine

Well on Friday I was given the option to go home early due to the snow storm.

Of course I jumped on that.

Now having never plowed with a tractor I knew the first few times would be a bit experimental and there would be a learning curve involved this whole winter.

We got about 6 inches of medium weight snow so that's a good amount to really get a training session in but not enough to just overwhelm the tractor.

I started out with no chains.

That got me almost nowhere here in hill country and I figured on that but I wanted to get an idea of what exactly would happen. Hardly even got it of the workshop.

I put 4-link cleated snow/ice chains on and set to plowin'...

We have quite a large area to clear and it all went very well considering having no basic knowledge of what the Sam Hill I was doing.

:D

There are a few things that need to be addressed both about the tractor and myself (different clothes for example. Walking behind a beast of a snowblower uses far more energy than setting on the tractor)

I need lights all around ASAP.

Solid white I have already but I'd take recommendations for inexpensive flashing amber for being out in the road.

Change front tires. The "woods meats" are too wide and hit the plow frame. The lack of turning radius is terrible.

Bend side angle bar handle. The PO was a bit rough to the machine that had the plow and the handle is bent backwards which hits the brake pedal.

Pins in rear clamps. I've seen other posts about having a problem with the flip up levers coming undone. Happened multiple times.

Overall it went well and I'm looking forward to getting more seat time this winter.

Trina and I were talking about the plow tractor situation and we're thinking that an 867 with limited slip would be a great candidate for the position. Thanks again to @buckrancher Brian and his wife Jo for that. Great people.

• Like 1

Sparky

I pin all my rear axle brackets. Actually have 1/4-20 nuts/bolts thru one. It only has to let go once to ruin your plowing session. Easy to get back in place I suppose, but your doing it lying in the snow. 

• Like 3

WHNJ701

I have a few tractors that can be set up for plowing snow but for me the big the walk behind snowblower is quicker and does a better job of keeping the drive and paths clear especially if time is limited.  most of my tractors are restored sometimes I will bring one out to chase snowflakes with.  

• Like 1

rjg854

I'll admit that that I could do a neater job with the walk behind blower.  Plowing requires you to have to push the snow back farther to have room the next time you plow. Depending on conditions sometimes the ground is still soft so you tend to tear it up a bit.  Spring I need to get the stone back into the driveway.  But it's a whole lot more fun to plow sitting on a :wh: vs lugging behind a snowblower.  The blower on a :wh: has it's place, but in my tight areas it's a bit awkward.  For the log runs it's the cat's MEOW.  This is the season I get the most use out of my horses, and I still don't mind the cold.  It sure beats 95 degrees and 90% humidity.

Pullstart
1 hour ago, ebinmaine said:

Well on Friday I was given the option to go home early due to the snow storm.

Of course I jumped on that.

Now having never plowed with a tractor I knew the first few times would be a bit experimental and there would be a learning curve involved this whole winter.

We got about 6 inches of medium weight snow so that's a good amount to really get a training session in but not enough to just overwhelm the tractor.

I started out with no chains.

That got me almost nowhere here in hill country and I figured on that but I wanted to get an idea of what exactly would happen. Hardly even got it of the workshop.

I put 4-link cleated snow/ice chains on and set to plowin'...

We have quite a large area to clear and it all went very well considering having no basic knowledge of what the Sam Hill I was doing.

:D

There are a few things that need to be addressed both about the tractor and myself (different clothes for example. Walking behind a beast of a snowblower uses far more energy than setting on the tractor)

I need lights all around ASAP.

Solid white I have already but I'd take recommendations for inexpensive flashing amber for being out in the road.

Change front tires. The "woods meats" are too wide and hit the plow frame. The lack of turning radius is terrible.

Bend side angle bar handle. The PO was a bit rough to the machine that had the plow and the handle is bent backwards which hits the brake pedal.

Pins in rear clamps. I've seen other posts about having a problem with the flip up levers coming undone. Happened multiple times.

Overall it went well and I'm looking forward to getting more seat time this winter.

Trina and I were talking about the plow tractor situation and we're thinking that an 867 with limited slip would be a great candidate for the position. Thanks again to @buckrancher Brian and his wife Jo for that. Great people.

Didn’t happed without pics!  :ychain:

:banana-gotpics::banana-gotpics::banana-gotpics:

:text-yeahthat::text-yeahthat:

• Haha 4

ebinmaine
4 minutes ago, pullstart said:

Didn’t happed without pics!  :ychain:

:banana-gotpics::banana-gotpics::banana-gotpics:

:text-yeahthat::text-yeahthat:

I know, I know! My photographer was not home at the time so I couldn't get any pics of me in action but here's a few of the area that I plowed.

15424624083913211567546643356295.jpg.b5a90c08d466478830bbc5c182e1f4cd.jpg

15424624245414523381216525508215.jpg.896eb00277d308c3e6a2f93bde19881a.jpg

15424624359372209262987173724696.jpg.3649ec2f82e681490190967cda756a7c.jpg

15424624465772796719083545436559.jpg.14998cda4321898b6a7a53c816189deb.jpg

15424624880883190980413890326242.jpg.dd0c26cb683d4676d7c96ef1e62621ed.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine
31 minutes ago, jabelman said:

I have a few tractors that can be set up for plowing snow but for me the big the walk behind snowblower is quicker and does a better job of keeping the drive and paths clear especially if time is limited

I think the snow blowers might be a little faster here as well but the one I use is a monster to handle. 38 inch cut on a 13 horsepower chassis. Weighs nearly 300 pounds. Can be kind of a beast to handle especially when someone tired.

I can't keep it down low to get a good scrape on our dirt and gravel and stone area because it just constantly grabs back and forth and is picking up things to throw back out that are not made of Frozen water.

I was lucky enough to have several days of very cold temperatures for this time of year and all of the area that I plowed was very well solid.

if I have to do this again and it is soft ground I have a set of shoes I can put on the plow.

• Like 2

LengerichKA88
On 11/16/2018 at 4:26 AM, ebinmaine said:

A 6 lamp led that fits in the hood where they should be.

Where did you happen to find that^?

ive been playing in the leaves with mine as well 😝 

I don’t remember the last time I’ve WANTED snow, I’ve never liked snow, even as a kid lol. 

ebinmaine
29 minutes ago, Lengerich8 said:

Where did you happen to find that^?

ive been playing in the leaves with mine as well 😝 

I don’t remember the last time I’ve WANTED snow, I’ve never liked snow, even as a kid lol. 

I got it on clearance at a local Auto parts store when they were changing brands.

Here's some pics.

Box has the part number.

IMG_20181117_100036671.jpg.441b2158598986b47c01f4e70fad5137.jpg

It has a single bolt mount I'm going to fasten to the underside of the hood.

IMG_20181117_100043540.jpg.d68ad434d4c3dfa2b8861ed4e4444c3c.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

AMC RULES

Bet you could easily modify your factory head light bucket to accept that LED replacement...

then, still utilize you factory :wh: lens too. 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

LengerichKA88

Thanks @ebinmaine! I’ll be looking for one now, and I’ve already been thinking of how to do it the way @AMC RULES suggested 

• Like 1

ebinmaine
2 hours ago, AMC RULES said:

Bet you could easily modify your factory head light bucket to accept that LED replacement...

then, still utilize you factory :wh: lens too. 

That's a nice idea!!

And I have one that's a bit bent so I wouldn't feel as bad about cutting it up.

No good lenses here.

Maybe a clear piece of lexan?

• Like 1